We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Petition for Acceptance of Aramchovia

In accordance with article IV section 5 of the Charter, I'd like to wage a public appeal for Aramanchovia's legislator application.

My personal feelings are that when a former Chair of the Assembly reapplies and is forthcoming with his reasoning, we should not reject the application in bad faith. In particular, Aram has a long history with the region and, while he's not always the in line with forum-side governance, he's been a steadfast part of the region for years.

Further, he stated he's not coming with an agenda, but rather to keep up with the happenings of the region; calling a lack of legislative agenda "bad faith" is a stretch of the term.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

We appear to have removed Legislator app appeals. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I disagree.

Legislative Procedure act:
Quote:(5) Upon the Chair making a determination or ruling, a legislator may propose a resolution to overturn the determination or ruling. Following a minimum 24 hour debate period, such a resolution may only go to vote if a motion to vote on the resolution is seconded by a number of legislators equal to or exceeding one-quarter of the number of votes in the most recent Assembly vote, including abstentions. Such a resolution will remain at vote for three days and will require a simple majority of those voting to pass.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I totally agree with Tsu. He has been in this region for years, and despite holding controversial opinions on regional governance here, he's always worked within the framework of our government and had the courage to be upfront with the changes he believes in. Being critical and honest isn't bad faith, it's honestly and it should be welcome here.
The 16th Delegate of The South Pacific

I think it's really encouraging that Aram wants to keep up with what's happening in the Assembly and we shouldn't be putting up barricades against that. I fully support Tsu's petition.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Aram is before my time here, but just from a cursory glance at their older posts they appear to have been someone who has been a significant contributor to the region. Due to that, this is a really tough issue to be having, and I think both sides are coming from genuine care and beliefs. 

I must say, though, that I would be nervous to set a precedent of accepting individuals who openly say they plan to do nothing in the Assembly, as I do think we should make it clear that the Assembly is for individuals who wants to be actively involved in our political process. If someone just wants to lurk, that's not going to breed a better political culture. Given that the main Assembly is already publicly viewable, it does read as simply wanting to be able to view the Private Chambers without any intent to contribute. 

Ultimately, I'll be voting in favor of Aram's legislator status. Worst comes to worst, their membership with lapse due to inactivity. I think, were they to lapse after either zero or a minuscule number of votes, then a re-application could actually be seen as bad faith given the previous context of having no intent to participate.
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

So do we have to have an n number of motions, or a vote...?
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

All for it. As others have mentioned, Aram was a great contributor to the region who remains active on gameside. It sets a dangerous and disturbing precedent to deny well respected members of the community access to the Assembly when they've done so much for the region and now merely wish to remain informed on what's happening within the Assembly, and consequently their homes. That's a scary direction, one that I'd hope we don't want to go in.

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

(09-21-2017, 08:27 AM)Farengeto Wrote: We appear to have removed Legislator app appeals. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wasn't seeing this as a formal appeal, but the post was an attempt to sway our benevolent chair to reconsider the application.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Seeing as how there is mostly some agreement on this matter, I move the following resolution:

Resolved: This Assembly overturns the Honorable Chairs decision in the rejection of the Legislator Application for Aramanachovia.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021