We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[NOTICE] Typographical, Grammatical, & Formatting Errors in Legislation

Point of order-- the "The" in "The South Pacific" is intended to be capitalized. That's the proper capitalization in the game itself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sandaoguo's post:
  • Belschaft

(12-26-2018, 09:48 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Point of order-- the "The" in "The South Pacific" is intended to be capitalized. That's the proper capitalization in the game itself.

But the 'the' in 'the South Pacific' isn't capitalised in-game.

It should be and i'd be happier if it were, but the fact is it is not.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I think it looks better when it isn't capitalised.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(12-27-2018, 07:06 AM)Seraph Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 09:48 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Point of order-- the "The" in "The South Pacific" is intended to be capitalized. That's the proper capitalization in the game itself.

But the 'the' in 'the South Pacific' isn't capitalised in-game.

It should be and i'd be happier if it were, but the fact is it is not.

It is! We’ve been capitalizing it for a long time, hence our WFE. Also, “the South Pacific” is often confused with the region “South Pacific.” The capitalized article distinguishes us!

[Image: 0d929024718df9d465413c13bcda9182.jpg]

(I am passionate about this as someone who went to *The* Ohio State University :p)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I'm indifferent to this issue.

I will be conducting a survey in January and will add this question to the list. After the result is known, I'll make the appropriate correction (if need be).

I would disagree with Glen. If you check any gameside reference to the region, unless it's at the start of a sentence, it's always written as "the South Pacific". Just check the World Census for proof of that. If you need further proof, check The North Pacific. Their embassy is with "the South Pacific", not with "The South Pacific".
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Seraph

I think the problem here is that the game is inconsistent. When I'm viewing my own nation page, it displays the region as "the South Pacific," but when viewing the page of another nation in the region, it displays as "The South Pacific."

It's also worth noting that the issues I've seen say "the South Pacific" rather than "The South Pacific."

On a sidenote, I do find it curious how Kris capitalized "the" in "The North Pacific" even though it wasn't at the start of a sentence. Tounge
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]

“the South Pacific” is TSP’s technical name as in it is literally stored on the game’s server as so. Many NS softwares that rely on the data dump and API won’t run if you input “The South Pacific” into them. “The South Pacific” is just a name created by the front-end of the site. Anyway, this won’t be a problem if you just add something into the Charter to define it like TNP.
Chief Supervising Armchair

(12-27-2018, 04:11 PM)Pronoun Wrote: On a sidenote, I do find it curious how Kris capitalized "the" in "The North Pacific" even though it wasn't at the start of a sentence. Tounge

Because TNP does have a capitalised "The".

Legal Resources:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Pronoun

(12-29-2018, 06:50 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 04:11 PM)Pronoun Wrote: On a sidenote, I do find it curious how Kris capitalized "the" in "The North Pacific" even though it wasn't at the start of a sentence. Tounge

Because TNP does have a capitalised "The". 

Oops…
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]