We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] Private voting

I really don't see the value in this.  I don't think that any of us are lemmings.  And the votes that we cast are usually a reflection of the discussions that we have in the forums or in Discord, so I don't see how the votes would be seen as a surprise or unexpected to the point where people would feel uncomfortable with their decision.

Тифона «Тифонька» Кузнецова
Typhona "Typhonka" Kuznetsova

Come and Vacation In Austerager, Pearl of Keylian Ocean!
[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SMUCMn_BQ]

(10-21-2020, 09:27 AM)Typhonka Wrote: I really don't see the value in this.  I don't think that any of us are lemmings.  And the votes that we cast are usually a reflection of the discussions that we have in the forums or in Discord, so I don't see how the votes would be seen as a surprise or unexpected to the point where people would feel uncomfortable with their decision.

If you disagree with the proposal, you are free to vote nay, but I do see the value of voter privacy and the need to make sure that people aren't influencing the votes of others. So, once more, I motion to vote on this bill.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(10-22-2020, 01:29 PM)Jay Coop Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 09:27 AM)Typhonka Wrote: I really don't see the value in this.  I don't think that any of us are lemmings.  And the votes that we cast are usually a reflection of the discussions that we have in the forums or in Discord, so I don't see how the votes would be seen as a surprise or unexpected to the point where people would feel uncomfortable with their decision.

If you disagree with the proposal, you are free to vote nay, but I do see the value of voter privacy and the need to make sure that people aren't influencing the votes of others. So, once more, I motion to vote on this bill.

So your solution is to force everyone to vote privately?
I like the option to vote public, and I believe South Pacificans should be able to choose how they wish to vote. I will surely be voting Nay on this proposal should it go to a vote.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

(10-22-2020, 03:07 PM)North Prarie Wrote:

I like the option to vote public, and I believe South Pacificans should be able to choose how they wish to vote. I will surely be voting Nay on this proposal should it go to a vote.

I don't know how many times I've said this, but this proposal would not stop you or anyone else from publicly airing who you voted for on Discord or any other place.

My History

(10-22-2020, 03:39 PM)Jay Coop Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 03:07 PM)North Prarie Wrote:

I don't know how many times I've said this, but this proposal would not stop you or anyone else from publicly airing who you voted for on Discord or any other place.

Then wouldn't the potential to influence votes be the same, if not more?
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

(10-22-2020, 04:11 PM)North Prarie Wrote: Then wouldn't the potential to influence votes be the same, if not more?

No, because we wouldn't have all the votes cluttered in one place for someone to say, "Oh hey, this one person's getting more votes than anyone else. Maybe, I should vote for them."

My History

I'll second it
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes Griffindor's post:
  • Jay Coop

Okay so the chief reason why I object to your rationale is because it sounds like you're saying that the discussions that take place here have absolutely no impact on the decisions that people make towards a vote, and that people will only vote simply due to optics - which completely defeats the point of having an actual assembly where we participate in discussions before we actually vote.  I'm not trying to be contentious or contrary - I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.  Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Тифона «Тифонька» Кузнецова
Typhona "Typhonka" Kuznetsova

Come and Vacation In Austerager, Pearl of Keylian Ocean!
[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SMUCMn_BQ]

(10-22-2020, 04:43 PM)Jay Coop Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 04:11 PM)North Prarie Wrote: Then wouldn't the potential to influence votes be the same, if not more?

No, because we wouldn't have all the votes cluttered in one place for someone to say, "Oh hey, this one person's getting more votes than anyone else. Maybe, I should vote for them."

Personally, I'd rather have votes be swayed by the majority than by whoever can send the most messages on Discord.
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pronoun's post:
  • North Prarie

This has been brought to a vote here.