We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] Private voting

I think we should reform our elections in a way that minimalizes how one vote can influence another. As such, I think we should make it so that ballots are not revealed until the conclusion of the voting period.
Amendment to the Elections Act Wrote:
Elections Act
An act establishing elections for office

2. Electoral System

(3) Voters shall will have the option to cast their vote using a secret ballot. The method of private voting will be selected by the Election Commission,. The method must utilizinge an unaffiliated account or server, with the method and all votes remaining available for audit. Named ballots are not to be released under any circumstances.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Purple Hyacinth, Whole India

I can get behind private ballots in theory, but I think the default should be at the end of the election for all votes to then be released. Otherwise you have an unlikely scenario where the EC decides that there were X votes for candidate A, when there was actually a different result.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016
[-] The following 3 users Like Griffindor's post:
  • North Prarie, USoVietnam, Whole India

Maybe. 

While hitting back against the lemming is good, this would probably reduce turnout, due to the fact that it's even more buttons to click and some people might not be comfortable with DMs (not sure who wouldn't be, but still.) 
Also, the possibility of meddling is super real. While it's good for now due to numbered ballots, if someone's planning to meddle with the results then why would they put numbers on the ballots in the first place?
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

It seems that if we have one, this happens, and if we have this, this happens. For example, if we have open voting, there's a likelihood of people voting with the majority; if we have private voting, then people can meddle.
Local Councillor (3/15/20 - 6/23/20)
Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs (2/19/20 - 4/9/20)
Senior Fellow of Integration (12/20/20 - 2/19/20)
Fellow (1/12/19 - ~10/14/20) 
Ambassador to Osiris and TWP (4/3/20 - 7/8/20)
Legislator (1/19/19 - 11/1/21)
Chair of the Assembly (6/23/20 - 9/3/20)
Secretary of State (7/8/20 - 2/4/21 | 6/14/21 - 11/1/21) 
Deputy of Media (2/14/21 - 11/1/21)
Ambassador to TNP and Lazarus  (6/14/21 - 10/22/21)
MoE Leadership (10/14/20 - 11/1/21)

(08-25-2020, 09:05 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I think we should reform our elections in a way that minimalizes how one vote can influence another. As such, I think we should make it so that ballots are not revealed until the conclusion of the voting period.
Amendment to the Elections Act Wrote:
Elections Act
An act establishing elections for office

2. Electoral System

(3) Voters shall will have the option to cast their vote using a secret ballot. The method of private voting will be selected by the Election Commission,. The method must utilizinge an unaffiliated account or server, with the method and all votes remaining available for audit. Named ballots are not to be released under any circumstances except with the consent of the voter.

I liked the proposal, but for this we will need the EC to have many people as much as 5 so that a correct decision is taken. Or we can have a forum vote which would be secret ballot and administration team can also review it. Its easily possible in RL, but slightly dangerous in NS

Yeah, I agree with WI, for this to work while minimising the risk of 'meddling' you would probably need to go back to having a multi-member Election Commission rather than a single Commissioner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bleakfoot's post:
  • Whole India

I also think that, were private ballots to be mandatory, the methods of voting should be fixed in law too to minimise potential EC corruption.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(08-26-2020, 04:59 AM)Seraph Wrote: I also think that, were private ballots to be mandatory, the methods of voting should be fixed in law too to minimise potential EC corruption.

An amendment to election Act should have a separate article in regards to secret Ballot

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this. There are two changes here that I can see:
  1. Removing the requirement that the Election Commission keep all ballots available for audit. Striking "remaining" would allow the Commission to delete those ballots after the election. Current practice is that these ballots are archived indefinitely.
  2. Allowing the Election Commission to post identifiable ballots that were submitted as private ballots.

I think the first change may be unintended, but is still bad practice for election auditing.

The second change, which is probably the main goal of this amendment, strikes me as unnecessary and unlikely to ever be utilized. If someone wants to reveal what their ballot was, they're free to do so. In all the elections I've run, I've never thought to myself, "This person's ballot should be revealed. Let me ask them." I just don't see any scenario where a commissioner would want or need to do that.

(08-25-2020, 10:09 PM)North Prarie Wrote: Maybe. 

While hitting back against the lemming is good, this would probably reduce turnout, due to the fact that it's even more buttons to click and some people might not be comfortable with DMs (not sure who wouldn't be, but still.) 
Also, the possibility of meddling is super real. While it's good for now due to numbered ballots, if someone's planning to meddle with the results then why would they put numbers on the ballots in the first place?

There's also the problem of the EC completely making up ballots.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister