We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Revisions to the Transition Process of the Delegacy

(03-14-2021, 01:14 PM)Belschaft Wrote: If we want to speed up the transition why haven't we asked allied militaries to deploy and endorse Beepee?

Last I checked Beepee was about 50 endorsements away from Amerion, which would take a pretty good left and my require some long term investment in the region.

(03-14-2021, 02:17 PM)Stan Melix Wrote:  
(03-14-2021, 09:30 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: In many RL organizations, there's a president and president-elect whereby the "president" holds the power and the "president-elect" assists and learns from the current president before taking office.

I'm wondering if we did something like that where we always had a delegate-elect waiting to take over would be useful? The "delegate-elect" would have six months to gain endorsements to take over, which would get out of this system.

How exactly would that work?

I think Somy summed it up well.

(03-14-2021, 03:16 PM)Somyrion Wrote:
(03-14-2021, 09:30 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: In many RL organizations, there's a president and president-elect whereby the "president" holds the power and the "president-elect" assists and learns from the current president before taking office.

I'm wondering if we did something like that where we always had a delegate-elect waiting to take over would be useful? The "delegate-elect" would have six months to gain endorsements to take over, which would get out of this system.

As you know, this was my suggestion to the rest of the CRS when we were discussing the transition issue. The basic idea would be to have two different operations happen at the same time every six months: first, a new delegate-elect would be elected; and second, the previous term's delegate-elect, having spent 6 months gaining endorsements, would quickly and easily switch into the delegate seat. Then, 6 months later, the new delegate-elect would have arrived at an endo count close to the outgoing delegate, and would switch into the delegacy, while the next delegate-elect would be elected.

There are certainly some side effects -- including forcing delegate candidates to do more long-term planning. But it definitely seems better to me than the current haphazard situation where a majority of a delegate's term is actually considered part of the "transition" to the next delegate.

Yes! I didn't mean to steal your thunder or take credit for your idea! Wink
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(03-14-2021, 11:55 AM)Griffindor Wrote: I don't want to sound critical of our incoming or outgoing delegates, but what have they been doing over the last 54 days to speed up the process?

I count 3 mass-TG's from Amerion in that timeframe asking for endorsements for Beepee, and none from Beepee despite possessing the communications authority.

Further, since I am endorsing them both, I have no way to know this, but have those two been actively TGing individual nations asking them to endorse Beepee?

It is absolutely not critical at all but a fair question. Much of the work has been done behind the scenes as the mass telegrams have all had a marginal if not nontangible effect on the endorsement gap between myself and Beepee.

We have both been telegramming new nations who join the World Assembly and sending individual telegrams requesting their endorsement of the new Delegate. Working with Viet, I also telegramed all active nations (logged in within the past 3 days) who have not endorsed Beepee. Similarly, SWAN and Beepee have dispatches with notification pings for these nations.

My idea, which I have shared a time or two, is the following: 

We make people announce 1 month prior to the start of the election if they intend to run for the Delegate Seat to give them time to catch up to the needed endos. It means a limited amount of people are able to run as you need to plan and it leaves no room for lollygagging, but we start the endo races a month prior and all those who meet the requirements get to go through to the voting section. All those who don’t, maybe next time.
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 
[-] The following 2 users Like Penguin's post:
  • Moon, Witchcraft and Sorcery

(03-14-2021, 07:53 PM)Amerion Wrote:
(03-14-2021, 11:55 AM)Griffindor Wrote: -snip-

It is absolutely not critical at all but a fair question. Much of the work has been done behind the scenes as the mass telegrams have all had a marginal if not nontangible effect on the endorsement gap between myself and Beepee.

We have both been telegramming new nations who join the World Assembly and sending individual telegrams requesting their endorsement of the new Delegate. Working with Viet, I also telegramed all active nations (logged in within the past 3 days) who have not endorsed Beepee. Similarly, SWAN and Beepee have dispatches with notification pings for these nations.

Thank you for your response. I am relieved to learn that more work has been going on behind the scenes.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes Griffindor's post:
  • Amerion

quickly from the "MoD" perspective - Tsu pretty much answered the question about the reason why we haven't asked allied militaries to assist in the transition. That would require a long-term commitment that seriously detracts from our militaries' ability to operate day-to-day, and raiders would love for tons of defender endorsements to be tied up in a protracted delegate transition. 

As for the discussion at large, i don't know that i am 100% behind a six-month delegate-elect transition, but I think something like Penguin said is certainly reasonable and prudent. I can see the reasoning for it, but six months preparation followed six months in the delegacy is a long time to ask anyone to commit to consistent activity on this game. You're asking candidates to look 6-12 months into the future and tell us in no uncertain terms that things will be the same then as they are now. I just don't see how that is a reasonable ask even for a delegate candidate.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Somyrion

If I recall correctly, TNP held their delegate election at the same time as us in January, and their transition ended 52 days ago, so I'm struggling to understand why this transition has taken so long as it seems to be a unique problem for us in TSP.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Amerion

(03-14-2021, 09:01 PM)Penguin Wrote: My idea, which I have shared a time or two, is the following: 

We make people announce 1 month prior to the start of the election if they intend to run for the Delegate Seat to give them time to catch up to the needed endos. It means a limited amount of people are able to run as you need to plan and it leaves no room for lollygagging, but we start the endo races a month prior and all those who meet the requirements get to go through to the voting section. All those who don’t, maybe next time.

We could possibly set a benchmark similar to the one used for the Coral Guard?

(03-15-2021, 05:25 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: If I recall correctly, TNP held their delegate election at the same time as us in January, and their transition ended 52 days ago, so I'm struggling to understand why this transition has taken so long as it seems to be a unique problem for us in TSP.

The last TNP delegate election had an already-high-endorsing Security Council member. It is better to compare this to Tlomz's ascension.
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 1 user Likes USoVietnam's post:
  • Somyrion

(03-16-2021, 02:16 AM)USoVietnam Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 05:25 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: If I recall correctly, TNP held their delegate election at the same time as us in January, and their transition ended 52 days ago, so I'm struggling to understand why this transition has taken so long as it seems to be a unique problem for us in TSP.

The last TNP delegate election had an already-high-endorsing Security Council member. It is better to compare this to Tlomz's ascension.

How long did Tlomz's ascension take?

(03-16-2021, 02:29 AM)Amerion Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 02:16 AM)USoVietnam Wrote: The last TNP delegate election had an already-high-endorsing Security Council member. It is better to compare this to Tlomz's ascension.

How long did Tlomz's ascension take?

I did the research and found that Tlomz was elected on 11 September 2020 and took office on 2 November, which is a duration of 52 days.

Beepee's victory was announced on 20 January, and @Tsunamy might wanna edit the date on that post, which was 55 days ago, and we are still nowhere close to finishing this transition.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History