We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to Article 1 of the Legislative Procedure Act (Archived threads)

(01-14-2019, 10:40 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: I do have to agree that allowing *any* legislators to open a vote is an explicitly intended feature of the system. It was written in response to past problems of Chairs being on vacation, temporarily inactive, etc., and bills lingering on the floor. It’s also a protection against political delays.

Every legislator is equal in the Assembly. The Chair isn’t supposed to be “the boss.” They’re just the secretary.

Having the Cabinet get involved in picking the Chair is a separation of powers violation. The Assembly is designed to operate without a Chair, if need be. There’s never a reason why another branch would need to appoint anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your statement that the principle of separation of powers must be preserved and that the Chair of the Assembly is primus inter pares. Based on recommendations given by other Legislators and noticing that there has been sufficient debate, I shall motion the following proposal to vote:

[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DISCUSSION] Amendment to the Legislative Procedure Act - by Bzerneleg - 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Now At Vote - by Amerion - 01-19-2019, 01:41 AM