We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Discussion] Future map claiming and updating

I've put a bit of thought into this topic for the last few hours and hope, I'm able to articulate myself in an understandable manner now.

1) While I think, it's a nice idea to let the community do the carographic updating work, I was not convinced yet by the presented solutions, that this is feasible and could work out in the long-run. Therefore I'm in favour of crowning a new head cartographer taking over the business the latest as of June/July 2021.

2) In order to gain more plots, I'd propose to open up our world map, either by making claiming possible anywhere on Pacifica or at least in one more region.

2.1) IF we open up the world map, especially if it shall be opened up in its entirety, I would suggest a map update, which does not add any new nations, but instead gives all nations currently on the map the opportunity to move. This "big move" shall ensure, that older nations have the opportunity to overthink their current location on the map and relocate themselves, if they see another plot on one of the new continents more fitting for them.

2.2) IF we open up the world map entirely, we shall think about having one continent being our "old continent", where claiming will never be possible and where things like the alleged "old Austral Empire" or other NPNs and Non-Player Cultures could be situated. We do not need to detail anything out for this continent (yet), but shall have the possibility in the back of our hands and minds.

3) Currently all TSP-Residents have the right to one plot on our map, however some roleplayers have - understandably - criticised this for it blocking the development of our regional history sometimes.
IF we have the "big move" going on (see 2.1), I'd suggest that all non-roleplay nations, which never have had a certain significance in our regional rp-history shall be asked, on whether they want to stay on the map or not. If they still do want to stay, they may of course, but maybe some players would free up the space.

Additionally for future updates, I'd suggest a soft "activity" policy. Every TSP-resident may have one plot, but only roleplayers may claim up to two more plots, but ONLY when they have been active in roleplay for at least 3, 6 or 12 months (up for debate; personally would favour 6 or 12 months). This rule shall prevent mega-nations from forming and new players hoarding plots.
Another rule tied to that, could include that one of those three plots needs to be a small plot, a.k.a. kind of a revival of the "colony plot rule", if you still remember it, even though a little different this time as those plots shall not be exlcusively for colonies, but just a pool of plots, that people have to choose one out of from, if they want to have three plots.

4) As a last rule, and this is just my personal taste: I'm all for implementing the TNP-rule, that nation names (at least) need to be serious and realistic. Nothing against memes at all, but they shouldn't form a huge part on our regional map (again) and especially not be potentially able to cover the landmass of three bigger plots - even if those meme nations do roleplay.

These are all my thoughts for now. I hope not to have angered anyone with all this Happywide
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 2 users Like GI-Land's post:
  • Illaois, Klô

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Discussion] Future map claiming and updating - by GI-Land - 02-22-2021, 01:27 PM