We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate

(07-24-2022, 09:32 PM)HumanSanity Wrote:
(07-24-2022, 06:20 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Apologies for only dipping in and out of this and I might have missed soemthing, but currently the Prime Minister does have the authority to govern gameside. Unless something changed, we've had it written into the charter that the PM receives all possible RO powers and is the head of state; is this not still the case?
The Prime Minister is not the head of state, they are the head of government.

The Prime Minister has the authority to use RO perms. They don't have the authority to govern the RMB or create programs on the RMB (which is what we seem to mean by "gameside") without the LC's consent. Nor are they encouraged or tasked with doing so. They can do it, but it's very much not their job. Asking them to pretty please do it to make up for the flaws of the Local Council, but while still subject to the whim of the Local Council, is silly.

I'm unclear where this limited reading of the PM's power has come from, but this was never the intention when it was created. And, it certainly wasn't the intention that the PM or Cabinet needed to defer to the LC. The LC was created for the RMB, but the intention was always in addition to the executive branch — not in opposition to or replacement of. 

Moreover, the PM is explicitly tasked with "the overall coordination of executive activities, being a liaison between the government and the community" and individual members of the Cabinet — like engagement and culture are also tasked with interacting with the community. Unless we suddenly have decided that the "the community" doesn't involve the RMB, it is explicitly written into the current charter.

Regardless, my point remains that the PM currently has the ability to govern RMB, whether or not they've used it. And, unless there's a court case or something I'm missing that has limited the executive's power in the meantime, it seems like a matter of clarity within the law, rather than how this was envisioned to work when put in place.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reform of the executive and the status of the delegate - by Tsunamy - 07-24-2022, 11:45 PM