We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

SPSF Review - May

Keeping in mind the fact that the "troop opinions are more important" position is one of the reasons why we are having these reviews, I think it is time for our military leadership to understand that public opinion at this time is just as valuable as the opinion of members.

I have no intention of ever joining the Special Forces. I like having endorsements and I prefer to serve this region through culture and integration, which also give me a better experience and satisfaction. However, I also am a citizen of this region and care about what image our military projects. If it is an image of inactivity, prowess, clumsiness, or skill, then I want to know and I want the leadership to fully hear what I have to say. Instead of starting the already failed argument of whose opinion is more valuable, I suggest we focus on who can bring what to the table.

Citizens who are not members have the advantage of outside perspective. They see how the military is perceived, and you can use that to your advantage. I can tell you right now that your average South Pacifican will not know anything about the recent surge in activity. So take note of that, try to reach out and slowly let people know that the military is there and it goes get things done.

Yes, I well know that you meant a different thing when you posted that troop opinions are more important, but that was way too similar to positions that the military leadership has already held, and which led to it being intransigent about reform and public accountability. Everyone always says to give the military one more chance. Great, I am all for giving in one more chance, but only if they actually get the job done this time, rather than telling people they can't question the military. I am not saying you have explicitly done that, since you obviously are answering questions. My point is that that has been the attitude in the past, so having this review is not about the Assembly intruding into military affairs, it's about making sure our military leaders have to answer for how they do their job. If they do a good one then all the better, but it can only work if both the Generals and the Assembly approach this in good faith.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Messages In This Thread
SPSF Review - May - by Unibot - 05-03-2015, 07:25 PM