We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Chair Projects for the January and May 2021 Terms

Commission on Laws Info and Application Form

Commission on Laws signups are now open! Read this post for information, and don’t hesitate to reach out to me for any questions you have. The sign-up link is at the bottom of this post.

Who is allowed to apply?

Anyone can apply and everyone who’s interested should apply. The more, the merrier! We all want our laws to be nice and shiny, right? Happywide

This is primarily aimed at legislators of TSP, and will likely be composed of mostly legislators, but I do welcome any non-legislators who may be interested.

What will participants be responsible for?

First: You will need to apply, where you get to choose how you would prefer me to contact you (do note that I prefer Discord), as well as about how many laws you are willing to look over (it’s okay if you change your mind later). Laws vary in length, so don’t think too hard about this question.

Second: I will contact you via your preferred method and tell you what laws you are assigned to (do note that if you are a very early applicant and are not interested in looking through all of the laws, it may be a few days before I contact you). If you are not satisfied with the laws I assign you for any reason, please tell me as soon as possible.

Third (this is the important part for participants to read!): Now, you need to look over the laws you were assigned. Be sure to read them carefully. The primary goal of this committee is to find things fixable by discretionary edits. When going through the laws, write down anything that you think might be an issue and fixable, even if you aren’t sure.

In addition, you can also be on the lookout for anything that can be legislated on or even just discussed by the Assembly. This can be anything from simple things like clarifying the wording of a section, or really big things that might need months of discussion. Be sure to write these things down too.

If at any point you can’t complete the laws you were assigned or you would like to/have already looked over more laws than you’ve been assigned, be sure to tell me as well.

The deadline for submitting the things you noticed is March 1st.

Fourth: Send me all of the things you wrote down when going through the previous step. If you’re interested in being the person to introduce a proposal for/start the discussion for an idea you got when looking through the laws, then there’s no need to send me that. However, you’ll want to send me anything that is potentially fixable by discretionary edits, or can be legislated on/discussed by the Assembly that you don’t want to initiate the discussion for.

Even if you’re not sure if you should send me something you wrote down, you should still do so. I’d rather have 100 things I don’t need than miss something I could fix/the Assembly could fix.

And then your part is done (unless you’re introducing a proposal/starting a discussion)!

What is the Chair responsible for?

I am obviously coordinating the laws that everyone is assigned to. I will also be checking in with committee members regularly to make sure that they're making progress on the laws.

After everyone's sent the things they wrote down to me, I will then sort through all the feedback. I will organize everything that can be changed via discretionary edits, and then compile all other potential changes/discussions into a report to be released. After that, I'll actively start discussions on those topics throughout the rest of the term.

How do I apply?

Fill out this form: https://forms.gle/nNJHeMSqpGnaYavn7

While I encourage people to apply as early as possible to give themselves more time to look over laws, I will be accepting applications up until a few days before March 1st to give anyone who decides to apply later on a chance to be a part of the committee.

Plus, here’s a spreadsheet I made mostly to make organizing easier for myself, but feel free to take a look if you’re curious: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chair Projects for the January 2021 Term - by Purple Hyacinth - 01-19-2021, 07:58 PM