We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Chair Projects for the January and May 2021 Terms

Hello legislators! This thread will serve as the place for the information for all of the Chair's projects for the January 2021 and May 2021 terms. In addition to maintaining information about the projects in this post, I will regularly reply to this thread with updates on the projects in more detail.

If you have any questions or comments on any of these projects, please post in this thread.

Commission on Laws - report is currently being written

Feedback Surveys - undergoing revisions in between releases
Click here to view the report on the March form.

Assembly Info Thread Revamp - work in progress

Revamp of the Assembly Mentorship Program - in planning

This project is led by Tin.

Gameside Outreach - in planning

This project is led by Moonfungus.

[-] The following 3 users Like Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Free Las Pinas, Moon, Penguin

Legislators (and anyone else who may be reading this),

The January 2021 Chair feedback survey is now open for responses. It closes a week from now, on January 20th, so be sure to get your responses in before then. More details about responding to the survey is in the description of the form. Anyone may submit feedback, even if you are not a legislator.

Link: https://forms.gle/RmM4Y1csjH6PpRjFA

Commission on Laws Info and Application Form

Commission on Laws signups are now open! Read this post for information, and don’t hesitate to reach out to me for any questions you have. The sign-up link is at the bottom of this post.

Who is allowed to apply?

Anyone can apply and everyone who’s interested should apply. The more, the merrier! We all want our laws to be nice and shiny, right? Happywide

This is primarily aimed at legislators of TSP, and will likely be composed of mostly legislators, but I do welcome any non-legislators who may be interested.

What will participants be responsible for?

First: You will need to apply, where you get to choose how you would prefer me to contact you (do note that I prefer Discord), as well as about how many laws you are willing to look over (it’s okay if you change your mind later). Laws vary in length, so don’t think too hard about this question.

Second: I will contact you via your preferred method and tell you what laws you are assigned to (do note that if you are a very early applicant and are not interested in looking through all of the laws, it may be a few days before I contact you). If you are not satisfied with the laws I assign you for any reason, please tell me as soon as possible.

Third (this is the important part for participants to read!): Now, you need to look over the laws you were assigned. Be sure to read them carefully. The primary goal of this committee is to find things fixable by discretionary edits. When going through the laws, write down anything that you think might be an issue and fixable, even if you aren’t sure.

In addition, you can also be on the lookout for anything that can be legislated on or even just discussed by the Assembly. This can be anything from simple things like clarifying the wording of a section, or really big things that might need months of discussion. Be sure to write these things down too.

If at any point you can’t complete the laws you were assigned or you would like to/have already looked over more laws than you’ve been assigned, be sure to tell me as well.

The deadline for submitting the things you noticed is March 1st.

Fourth: Send me all of the things you wrote down when going through the previous step. If you’re interested in being the person to introduce a proposal for/start the discussion for an idea you got when looking through the laws, then there’s no need to send me that. However, you’ll want to send me anything that is potentially fixable by discretionary edits, or can be legislated on/discussed by the Assembly that you don’t want to initiate the discussion for.

Even if you’re not sure if you should send me something you wrote down, you should still do so. I’d rather have 100 things I don’t need than miss something I could fix/the Assembly could fix.

And then your part is done (unless you’re introducing a proposal/starting a discussion)!

What is the Chair responsible for?

I am obviously coordinating the laws that everyone is assigned to. I will also be checking in with committee members regularly to make sure that they're making progress on the laws.

After everyone's sent the things they wrote down to me, I will then sort through all the feedback. I will organize everything that can be changed via discretionary edits, and then compile all other potential changes/discussions into a report to be released. After that, I'll actively start discussions on those topics throughout the rest of the term.

How do I apply?

Fill out this form: https://forms.gle/nNJHeMSqpGnaYavn7

While I encourage people to apply as early as possible to give themselves more time to look over laws, I will be accepting applications up until a few days before March 1st to give anyone who decides to apply later on a chance to be a part of the committee.

Plus, here’s a spreadsheet I made mostly to make organizing easier for myself, but feel free to take a look if you’re curious: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Chair of the Assembly Feedback Survey - January 2021 Report

Legislators,

I released a form a little over a week ago and invited legislators to provide feedback. The responses (in a random order) are included below, as well as my response to the responses. There were three responses to the form.

Title of the Form: Chair of the Assembly Feedback Survey (January 2021)

Description:
1. What are things that the Chair is doing well?

“Ensuring our laws are standardized and up to date. Also bringing motions and seconds quickly to action.”
“Everything. Literally everything.”

My response: I will continue to be working on cleaning up the laws via the Commission on Laws, and I will continue to stay active to bring things to vote quickly. :>

2. What are things that the Chair is not doing well? How could the Chair improve?

“N/A: Cannot think of anything at the moment”

3. Please list any suggestions for things the Chair could do that they aren't already doing or planning to do.

“Maybe make an always-viewable Assembly Docket, so people can see what bills are in discussion/voting? Also maybe more outreach to the gameside community to have more gamesiders apply for Legislatorship?”

My response: Trying to keep track of all of the bills in discussion might be a bit difficult, since a lot of bills will be made and then just sort of fade away. I’m also not sure how helpful it would be, since you can just see the votes in the Voting Chamber and the discussions in the Assembly and Private Halls forums.

However, gameside outreach is definitely something I want to pursue. The idea has been floating around in the back of my head for a while. I have already been announcing all votes on the RMB to try to make RMBers aware that the Assembly is doing stuff, but I could definitely take more steps. I’m thinking that a gameside recruitment dispatch like SPSF’s recruitment dispatch might be helpful for people who are reluctant to click on a forum URL right away. I could also make weekly Assembly updates published via dispatches and advertised on the RMB so that RMBers are even more aware of the Assembly. If anyone has any more suggestions, please tell me!

“Perhaps you could make a thread dating the tenure of the past chairs of the assembly.”

My response: That’s a good idea! I think it would be interesting to include that as part of my revamped Assembly info thread. I’ll probably build off of the info compiled here.

4. Please list any questions you have for the Chair.

“Can you please be chair for life?”

My response: Stop being so loud about this!!!!! I have to be “democratically elected” and just “happen to be elected” in every election

“Can I help you run for PM?”

My response: Hm… you’d have to tell me who you are first Tounge

5. Any other comments?

“I can't think of anything ahhhhh”
“N/A”

February Survey

The February 2021 Chair feedback survey is now open for responses. It closes a week from now, on February 20th, so be sure to get your responses in before then. More details about responding to the survey is in the description of the form. Anyone may submit feedback, even if you are not a legislator.

Link: https://forms.gle/BTBmVMFTrnc2SccM8
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Langburn

Chair of the Assembly Feedback Survey - February 2021 Report

Legislators,

I released a form about two weeks ago and invited legislators to provide feedback. The responses (in a random order) are included below, as well as my response to the responses. There were six responses to the form. There were a number of joke responses with very few serious responses, but I promised to release all the responses so here we are Tounge

Title of the Form: Chair of the Assembly Feedback Survey (February 2021)

Description:

"everything"
"begin chaor"
"Being a Chair, reminding people to vote."
"Everything the Chair needs to do well. You are doing well running the Commission on Laws, as well as getting all of the normal stuff like bringing bills to vote, pings, gameside posts, etc. done."

My response: I am quite proud of the Commission on Laws, and of course I'll continue to do all of the procedural things.

"NPTHING"

My response: :pikathink:

2. What are things that the Chair is not doing well? How could the Chair improve?

"没有! (Nothing? Sorry, I used google translate; you know more Chinese than I do)"

My response: Haha thanks

"Being a Chair, like how could I sit on you when you're made of flesh, blood and bones? (I think I complain about this before, but I couldn't put my finger on it)"
"I NEED MORE CHAIR. YOU MUST BECOE CHAIR> I NEED TO SIT ON YOZU, I AM TIED"

My response: Anyone can sit on me if they really want to, despite my unconventional material Tounge

"their usernamme is not chair"

My response: Is being C H A I R not good enough for you? Hmph.

3. Please list any suggestions for things the Chair could do that they aren't already doing or planning to do.

"Chair Reveal! Reveal the Chair you're sitting on when working as Chair already!"
"be more chair"
"beome one with the cahir"
"BECOME CHAIR"

My response: I shall progressively become more Chair.

"As the chair of the Assembly, (A.K.A. Director of Excitement) how inclined are you to help pass an April Fools Bill? -Craziest Person of February 2021"
"y no chair rights bill?"
"WHY HAVE YOU NOT PASSED THE CHAIR RIGHTS BILL YET??"

My response: Certainly a Chair rights bill would be a good candidate for an April Fools Bill. I don't have anything planning for April Fools Day yet :thinking:

"can chair?"

My response: No.

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?"

My response: Depends.

5. Any other comments?

"Do the Chair have a favorite Chair?"

My response: My favorite Chair is myself Happywide

"chair"
"C H A IR"
My response: Chair?

"oops"

My response: Oops indeed.
[-] The following 5 users Like Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • im_a_waffle1, Moon, Rebeltopia, Stan Melix, Tin the Free

March Survey

The March 2021 Chair feedback survey is now open for responses. It closes a week from now, on March 20th, so be sure to get your responses in before then. More details about responding to the survey is in the description of the form. Anyone may submit feedback, even if you are not a legislator.

Link: https://forms.gle/9RUZo1yUE2toLQCJ7

Chair of the Assembly Feedback Survey - March 2021 Report

Fellow legislators,

I released a form a few weeks ago and invited legislators to provide feedback. The responses (in a random order) are included below, as well as my response to the responses. There were four responses to the form. (Sorry about being late to posting this.)

Title of the Form: Chair of the Assembly Feedback Survey (March 2021)

Description:

"Once again, the Chair is doing everything that she needs to do well."
"existing"

My response: Smile

"no clue i havent payed attention"
"¡Nada!"

My response: Okay....?

"[strike]Pass a bill that makes you Chair for life.[/strike]"

My response: :thinking:

"make the things they do more known, i'm not going to hunt down forum posts and shit about what the chair is doing"

My response: I'm not sure what I'd do to make what I'm doing more visible? I have the thread I'm posting in right now, which has info on my projects, and the Chair guide that will be released soon has general info about Chair duties. Most of my work is pretty public (legislator checks, opening votes, etc.), but if you aren't willing to look on the forums, I'm not sure what to say... Do message me if you have any concrete suggestions though Happywide

"N/A"

5. Any other comments?

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iik25wqIuFo"

My response: Thanks.

My response: Chair.
[-] The following 2 users Like Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Alex Dacrazy, Encaitar

Post-Election Update

Fellow legislators,

Thank you for voting me into office a third time. In this upcoming term, I’m looking to finish up projects from last term, as well as start new ones.

An overarching theme you’ll hopefully see throughout the term is the large involvement of Deputies. Because of the many projects I’m looking to complete, I knew it was impossible to try to do everything myself. I’ll be relying on @anjo, @moonfungus, and @Tin the Free a lot in these coming months!

You can find details on the status of my projects in my campaign thread: https://tspforums.xyz/thread-9375.html. Between the election and now, I have discussed the projects with my deputies and we have some updates on them. The OP of the thread has been updated with detailed information on the new projects, which I encourage you to check out.

The Assembly Mentorship Program Revamp (or as I like to say, revAMP Tounge ) will be led by Tin. While I and other deputies may also be contributing to the project, Tin will be the one leading and doing most of the work.

The Gameside Outreach Project will be led by Moonfungus. Again, while others may contribute, Moon will be the primary person working on this project.

These aren’t the only things that the Chair team has in store, and there is plenty of other work that Deputies will be doing (like helping write guides, inputting votes in the legislator roster when I am lazy, proofreading my error-ridden rambles, and more!).

Going forward, I’ll continue to maintain this thread and provide transparency about the status of projects. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or comments!

-Purple Hyacinth, Chair of the Assembly
[-] The following 4 users Like Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Amerion, Moon, Rebeltopia, Seraph