We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Jay for Foreign Affairs – Stronger than ever

[Image: mLg1Ksml.png]
Your favorite Captain America impersonator with his campaign staff

The world of NationStates has become a turbulent place as of late. We've seen the rise of blocs, and tensions seem to be rising between regions. However, the one constant has been our region's ascent. We led the charge to form the Partnership for Sovereignty, brought together some of the world's preeminent defenders, and solidified our status in the World Assembly. We are in Pax Australis, an era marked by peace in the South Pacific, and we are stronger than we have ever been before.

Let's keep it that way.

*Sticking to our principles*
Lemme lead by saying this: our principles are defender principles. It has been nearly two years since the Assembly passed the defender resolution, defining our principles as a region. We will never turn back the clock on that. We are the largest region in NationStates and the only feeder committed to this cause, leaving us with great responsibility. We have defined who we are as a region, and we have been able to define who our friends are as a consequence of that decision.

We have also been able to define ourselves in other ways, and that is the fact that we have been a democratic region since the earliest days of our history. We are not a region that undemocratically names a delegate or limits the social mobility of its members. We have consistently elected our regional leaders, a tradition that has outlived yesteryear's leaders and those we elect today, and we will promote these principles abroad.

*An informed ministry and region*
Within the ministry and our region, I hope to improve our awareness of events occurring abroad, and there are several ways I believe we can achieve this goal. First, I will encourage our ambassador corps to periodically check out ongoing discussions in the NSGP subforum and discuss whatever issues or controversies arise freely in #legislators-lounge to stimulate further regional discourse.

As part of this effort, I will put together monthly reports on the goings-on of other regions to help provide a summary of the current global landscape. These reports will highlight key events in regions with whom we maintain relationships or those that carry great significance, such as the recent controversy surrounding Force.

*Shoring up the PfS*
It was this time last year when I campaigned to become the Minister of Foreign Affairs, supporting the creation of a defender bloc, and we have come a long way since then. The Partnership for Sovereignty represents our most significant foreign policy achievement since passing the defender resolution in 2019, and I hope to continue working with our partners in the bloc to promote regional sovereignty through the World Assembly Security Council.

If elected, I hope to propose an amendment to the bloc's charter that introduces interregional security provisions protecting its members. The document should be explicit in not allowing its members to attack each other and provide for the defense of its members. These are issues I hope to discuss with my counterparts in the PfS if given a chance. Some would argue that this would be a duplicative effort because of existing bilateral treaties, but I do not believe that is a sufficient reason not to do it.

Besides the reforms I hope to propose, I believe that the PfS is an institution worth fighting for and maintaining. We have seen other blocs fall into stagnation, and it serves as a lesson for all those who desire a bloc. We cannot allow the PfS to endure the same fate, so I will work with the Cabinet and my counterparts in the PfS to discuss and form strategies to keep it active and not allow it to fall into disrepair. That is the challenge ahead of us with the PfS.

*Stronger than ever*
Five years ago, we survived a coup. Two years ago, we solidified our position as a defender region. Last year, we decided that a defender bloc was in our best interests. Today, the South Pacific is the strongest it has ever been in the past, and that is thanks to a consistent foreign policy committed and invested in defender and democratic principles. With this policy and continued cooperation with our friends and allies, especially in the defendersphere, our path is towards greater success.

Vote Jay to continue walking this path.

*My credentials*
Here, you will find a list of my credentials. If you wish to view a more comprehensive declaration, please press here.
  • Citizen of the South Pacific (2014–present)
  • Member of the South Pacific's Council on Regional Security (2020–present)
  • Former Minister of Regional Affairs of the South Pacific (2020)
  • Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the South Pacific (2020)
  • Former citizen of The North Pacific (2020–2021, with Winston Island)
  • Former citizen of The Rejected Realms (2021, with Karasonia)
  • Former writer and editor at NationStates Today (2020)

*Frequently asked questions*

*Shameless plug*
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 7 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • anjo, Free Las Pinas, moe, Qaweritoyu, Seraph, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Messages In This Thread
Jay for Foreign Affairs – Stronger than ever - by Jay Coop - 06-05-2021, 12:06 AM