We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

RMB Future: RMB Liaisons + Mods + MoC authority

(08-22-2022, 03:10 PM)HumanSanity Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 03:01 PM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 02:48 PM)HumanSanity Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 02:39 PM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 02:37 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: To be honest, it’s sounding like the primary motivation here that Lile wants to keep the title of Local Councillor, regardless of whatever change in purpose we make. I’m having a hard time understanding alternative motivations, when the latest proposal demolishes any unique purpose the LC would have that isn’t already under the purview of an existing ministry (even if it’s not currently being done by engagement/culture well enough).

Well, yes, I like the title, but I like how the people on gameside, including myself, can really connect with the LCs. People love the LC. That's my primary motivation.

Why can't people "really connect with" the RMB moderators or with an appointed team of RMB liaisons or advocates? This is why I asked on Discord: will more people support this if the bill to establish an "RMB liaison" team is folded into it, as opposed to operating as a separate/stand alone proposal?

People on the RMB (and I slightly agree with the following) like the Local Council and are happy with it. The LC serves their needs, and that's what they want. So, since they're happy with the Local Council, they're gonna be like: why get rid of it?

If I can be so blunt, there are individual needs and needs of the entire region. Sure, the LC fulfills the needs of a relatively loose hand on enforcement of rules and not providing any structure to prevent low quality posting running rampant and filling the RMB with a "fun" chaos.

That doesn't mean it's fulfilling the needs of the entire region. When it comes to facilitating larger projects (e.g. Z-Day) or actually promoting TSP's government, activities, etc. - the LC is often incapable and derelict in its duties. Furthermore, it reinforces the arbitrary idea of a gameside and forumside, an idea which itself is harmful to TSP's long-term development. And finally, even if the LC itself were capable, the idea of LC sovereignty as a gameside government is one which is destructive - it disincentivizes Cabinet/PM engagement with the gameside.

This is also why "well, the Cabinet doesn't engage the RMB!" isn't a persuasive argument. It's not their job to. If the Cabinet had both a job-requirement and actual powers to engage the RMB, they would. As it is, every time the Cabinet posts on the RMB about something, there's a good chance the LC will look at them and go "wtf", so they don't.

I really hate thread chains, but I did want to bring up a few things. I’m not now or have ever been tied to the name “local council”, so I don’t particularly care one way or another what we call them, but LC is what we currently use, and it’s easily recognizable in a conversation. So please don’t hammer people for using the designation.

Now, way back, I could tell when elections were rolling around because we would get candidates who we rarely saw on the rmb, but as an LC, I never had an issue with cabinet or whatever posting, figured it was important to the region. What I do take issue with is people saying the only official government is offsite, and then others saying it’s not their job to interact with the vast majority of region residents on the platform they most use. If you really want to ignore the rmb so bad, go start your own regions and recruit only the right sort. You’ve gotten spoiled by the regular infusion of new endorsements.

Messages In This Thread
RE: RMB Future: RMB Liaisons + Mods + MoC authority - by Drystar - 08-26-2022, 10:48 AM