We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[AT VOTE] Establishment of the Minister of Home Affairs

I take the general view that we should be using improved game mechanics to move our government functions in-game where possible, not creating new positions to make use of them. My view of the forums and other off-site assets (ie; Discord) is similar to Tsu's, as necessary tools that the region developed to allow effective governance, not as something separate from the in-game region itself.

I'm not sure exactly what a "Minister of Home Affairs" is actually meant to do, and that's the big reason why I oppose creating one. I don't accept the argument that we need a member of the Cabinet there to represent the in-game region, as all Cabinet members represent the in-game region and are elected by those members of the region who have chosen to directly participate in our political and governance institutions. The Local Council have a specific role in our government relating to the management of the in-game region and in particular the RMB, and I don't think that the LC should be shoehorned into the Cabinet when these government roles are distinct.

I think we have shown over the last few years that we can conduct in-game elections very effectively, both in terms of the LC elections themselves and the in-game stage of the Delegate election. Creating a Cabinet role to "represent" the in-game region would be a backwards step, when what we should actually be discussing is whether or not we are ready to move more elections - the one for Prime Minister, for example - to the same system we use for the Delegacy. Our ultimate objective should (in my opinion) be to conduct all votes in-game via NationStates own mechanics, but this requires the ability to run multiple polls at the same time which admin has never shown any interest in adopting.

That's my my two-pennies worth; as I said, completely at odds with Glen's argument (as we fundamentally disagree on the nature of the relationship between the in-game region and off-site assets) but in agreement that this is a bad idea.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Farengeto, Omega, Somyrion, Volaworand

Messages In This Thread
RE: [AT VOTE] Establishment of the Minister of Home Affairs - by Belschaft - 06-08-2020, 03:01 PM