We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[AT VOTE] Establishment of the Minister of Home Affairs

After a discussion in #local-council on Discord, I have drafted a proposal that would abolish the Local Council and establish the Ministry of Local Home Affairs in its place. The intent of this bill is to give the gameside of the South Pacific a voice within the Cabinet and likewise give the Cabinet a direct link to the gameside.

Since the bill contains an amendment to the Charter and directly affects the gameside, a vote on this bill requires a three-fifths supermajority of those voting to pass in accordance with Article 1, Section 4 of Legislative Procedure Act and a debate and vote by the gameside in accordance with Article I, Section 4 of the Charter.

Revised proposal

Original proposal

4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Amerion, USoVietnam

I'd be cool with a Ministry of Local Affairs if it were in complement to the LC. But forcing our only gameside representation to be active on the forums and Discord as well so they can participate in the Cabinet? That defeats the entire purpose of gameside governance. That's not gameside home rule. No, absolutely not. I understand this is well-intentioned, but it's completely misguided.

Perhaps, if what we're really after is LC involvement in the Cabinet, each new LC can decide if they want to have a LC Cabinet Advisor, who would in that case have a vote like a Minister in the Cabinet and would have to be a forum/Discord user.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!

As an alternative, we could keep the Local Council and let them appoint a Minister of Local Affairs to represent them in the Cabinet, but still require that individual to maintain accounts on Discord and the forums.

My History
[-] The following 3 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Amerion, Somyrion, USoVietnam

(05-17-2020, 08:03 PM)Somyrion Wrote: ... Perhaps, if what we're really after is LC involvement in the Cabinet, each new LC can decide if they want to have a LC Cabinet Advisor, who would in that case have a vote like a Minister in the Cabinet and would have to be a forum/Discord user.

I have not properly thought through this proposal yet but just to comment on this particular paragraph — if I recall correctly, we had requirement that a LC member be part of the Assembly a while back and we had to eventually remove that requirement because it wasn't being met so I am unsure whether a Cabinet role would likewise be as unsuccessful. That's not to say that we couldn't trial it and evaluate the outcome after a term but I suspect each LC, with their different members and priorities, will come to embrace this in varying degrees.

(05-17-2020, 08:37 PM)Amerion Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 08:03 PM)Somyrion Wrote: ... Perhaps, if what we're really after is LC involvement in the Cabinet, each new LC can decide if they want to have a LC Cabinet Advisor, who would in that case have a vote like a Minister in the Cabinet and would have to be a forum/Discord user.

I have not properly thought through this proposal yet but just to comment on this particular paragraph — if I recall correctly, we had requirement that a LC member be part of the Assembly a while back and we had to eventually remove that requirement because it wasn't being met so I am unsure whether a Cabinet role would likewise be as unsuccessful. That's not to say that we couldn't trial it and evaluate the outcome after a term but I suspect each LC, with their different members and priorities, will come to embrace this in varying degrees. 

The key there is that it was a requirement. I think things are basically just fine as they are, but if we were to do what I suggested there, it would be something the LC could opt in to.
Aumeltopia ~

[-] The following 1 user Likes Somyrion's post:
  • Amerion

(05-17-2020, 08:27 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: As an alternative, we could keep the Local Council and let them appoint a Minister of Local Affairs to represent them in the Cabinet, but still require that individual to maintain accounts on Discord and the forums.

*nods*

I think this is a good idea and like Somy suggest, they could opt in to do so.

Perhaps the PM can invite them in on an informal basis as a Cabinet Advisor or make a new role, Gameside Advisor, and see how it goes?

(05-17-2020, 08:55 PM)Amerion Wrote: *nods*

I think this is a good idea and like Somy suggest, they could opt in to do so.

Perhaps the PM can invite them in on an informal basis as a Cabinet Advisor or make a new role, Gameside Advisor, and see how it goes?

We could do this for a term or two, but I favor something more substantive such as making this advisor a full-on minister.

My History

So, I think there's a difference between being an Assembly member versus being a Cabinet official.

Anyhow, I like the idea a lot and think has the potential to help with integration. 

Perhaps we ask the LC how they feel about it, but I don't see why they wouldn't be amenable to naming one of the three of them as a Cabinet member. We could make it so they don't need to be on the forums (if that's a hangup); they could get most of the info through Discord.

In any case, if we ask them to name a minister (we could give call it the Chair of the LC, if we didn't want to change names), I feel like one of the three should be willing at any given term.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Okay, based on input from multiple people, I have written a new draft which retains the Local Council. However, I will welcome continued discussion on whether this position should be a minister or simply an advisor. Also, I agree with Tsu that we should get input from the Local Council on this matter.

My History

To be clear, I used the term "LC Cabinet Advisor" not to mean that such a position would hold the same privileges as a Cabinet Advisor (i.e. able to talk but not vote in Cabinet). I simply didn't have a good term for a voting member of the Cabinet who wasn't a Minister in the typical sense.

That said, I'm now realizing that there's actually no requirement that a Minister have an associated Ministry -- that's just customary. So there's no reason there couldn't be a Minister of Local Affairs position in the Cabinet that doesn't have a Ministry but nevertheless has a vote.
Aumeltopia ~

[-] The following 2 users Like Somyrion's post:
  • Jay Coop, Tsunamy