We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT - §IV (CREATION OF A PARLIAMENTARIAN)

(11-15-2020, 10:35 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Is there a reason one couldn't request that the Chair appoint a parliamentarian instead of having to spend resources on an election?

A determination was made, that, an application of democratic principles, in this case, vis a vis mandating this role be elected, should always be the default posture when creating a new role.

Moreover, (and this concern was uniquely mine, but not opposed), preservation of the role's integrity, is dependent, in my opinion, on both its accountability to the Chamber it serves (via popular election by the members thereof), and it's independence from a Chair who may, in the future, dismiss, without immediate check, any Parliamentarian who he, or she, disagrees with (though I must stress, this is more of a safeguard for the future, and not, in any way, anticipatory of how the present Chair may act).

Therefore, it was decided that aims stated, and concerns expressed, in the above, could be satisfied and quelled, respectively, and with minimal disruption to present elections protocol, infrastructure, and procedures, if the Parliamentarian was indeed, elected; so long as said election occurred in tandem with, and was for a term identical to, the Office already being voted on (in this case, the Chair).

I thank you for your input, and welcome further engagement by you, and others, as you, and they may deem necessary and appropriate.
DELEGATE MINISTER to the SOUTH PACIFIC
from the FRR OF ADRIATICAN
CULTURE LEAD - NSCW
LEGISLATOR of the ASSEMBLY

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PROPOSAL] CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT - §IV (CREATION OF A PARLIAMENTARIAN) - by Delegate Vanderpool - 11-15-2020, 01:54 PM