We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Purple Hyacinth for MoE: Building on our Foundation

Purple Hyacinth for MoE: Building on our Foundation

Hya-gain everyone! It's me, running for reelection as Minister of Engagement. In the previous term, I’ve begun building a foundation of active staffers. This term, I hope to build on that to complete even more projects.

Some of you may recall my campaign from December, which was very long and laid out everything I wanted to do. A lot of my campaign this time is pretty much the same, especially plans regarding ways to get staffers involved and my reasons for doing those. I'll re-explain them in a shortened (and updated) version in this campaign.

What has changed since December is that I've had interactions with staffers and adjusted my objectives for the projects themselves. For example, in my campaign, I said that I didn't feel that the Wiki Project was high on my priority list, but many staffers expressed interest in it. So, I decided to add that to the list of things I wanted to help grow, and it turned out to be the most active project in the term!

Summary of my platform

My overarching goal is to increase staff involvement to the point where the Ministry is sustainable in future terms and staffers are going to be able to be involved in engagement work if there is an inactive Minister. Even then, this model actually promotes active Ministers because more staffers can gain the experience needed to be Minister. [details on reasons]

To achieve this, here are the steps I will personally take [details]:
  • Assign many project leadership roles and tasks to others, including re-evaluating current leaders
  • Regularly checking in on progress of projects
  • Update information threads on the forums to create a space for staffers to share updates

Furthermore, I will be encouraging staffers to do the following [details]:
  • Allow staffers to explore their own ideas and create projects
  • Distribute work among multiple staffers
  • Provide accessible guides to integrate new staff
  • Post public updates in info thread

In terms of the actual projects I want to get done, these are the short-term/one-time items that I would like to achieve [details]:
  • Cross-endorsement event
  • Work on new welcome TG with Penguin
  • Rework welcome dispatches

I am also going to promote the continued progress of long-term projects, and continue providing services [details]:
  • Card project:getting our regional card organization, SPACE, up and running
  • Graphics service: providing graphics to other parts of TSP government
  • Writing service: writing announcements, dispatches, telegrams, or other things for the government (including the centralized dispatches)
  • Wiki project: maintaining up-to-date Wiki pages, especially on gameplay-oriented pages
  • Outreach project: reaching out to new players to get them involved in our region

A few other miscellaneous notes [details]:
  • I will strive to include Discord, forumside, and gameside
  • I will work with the Delegate to promote their endorsement count and for other activities

Why the focus on sustainability?

I’ve already begun engaging multiple staffers in various ways in the Ministries, and I hope to continue doing that. The idea of sustainability is important to me because many of the MoE’s activities are vital to our region and I don’t want the quality of its work to always be fluctuating. I want the MoE to perform, term after term, Minister after Minister, doing its work of maintaining infrastructure and integrating players into the region.

To achieve sustainability, we need an active base of several staff members who are willing to help out. Additionally, we need at least a few more experienced members who are able to take on leadership roles, both internally and as Minister. We also need to be able to take in new members and get them started within the Ministry quickly.

What steps will I personally take to promote sustainability?

These are the steps that I will do myself, in my capacity as Minister, to promote the role that staffers have in the Ministry. This allows them to be more involved and gain experience, leading to more active and knowledgeable staff in the future.

Assign many project leadership roles and tasks to others, including re-evaluating current leaders

This is something that I’ve already been doing, for example having BlockBuster lead the Wiki project. I intend to lead less than half of the projects, and I hope that a variety of staffers can pick up leadership roles within the Ministry, both old and new. That way, I’m training people to be future Ministers.

I would still check-in on and approve projects–I’m not going to assign a leader and then let a project do whatever. But, I hope that I can give project leaders a significant degree of independence as long as they are being productive.

I would also like to take a look at our current roster of project leads and see if I need to shuffle things around. Some of our old project leads are a bit inactive, so it may be worth exploring appointing someone new. There will be more specifics on this in my sections on individual projects.

Regularly checking in on progress of projects

This is pretty self explanatory. I would make sure that projects are moving along as intended, both in terms of pace and focus.

Update information threads on the forums to create a space for staffers to share updates

I’d like to redesign the main MoE info thread. Given the recent forum reorganization removing the MoE public subforum, the thread will need to be redesigned to more obviously center links to the individual project threads. Additionally, I’ll begin having staffers post updates in the main thread (more on that later).

What steps will I encourage staffers (and myself) to take to promote sustainability?

The things I list below are generally things that I would expect of project leaders/aspiring project leaders.

Allow staffers to explore their own ideas and create projects

I want staffers to feel like they are able to execute their ideas rather than merely following the agenda of the Minister. I will regularly ask for ideas and try to encourage people, if they have any, to pursue them. I hope to create an environment where people are comfortable sharing ideas.

Distribute work among multiple staffers

This is pretty self-explanatory; the purpose is to prevent burnout or a lack of communication, both of which are detrimental to the health of the Ministry.

Provide accessible guides to integrate new staff

I wouldn’t necessarily require something too complicated for something like the writing team, for that a quick introduction message that is pinned may suffice. Of course, with things like the wiki project, there’s a bit more that needs to go into a guide.

Post public updates in info thread

In the big info/index thread for MoE, I’d like to have individual staffers rather than the Minister post the majority of updates. These aren’t going to be really elaborate announcements, just kind of like Cabinet twitter-style but used more and a bit more longform. The purpose of these is to allow staff to show that they are the ones doing the work, and it’s not just some Ministry with mystery workers.

What short/one-time projects would I like to do?

Cross-endorsement event

The cross-endorsement event is something I envisioned last term, but I never got around to. However, I still think that it is worthwhile. The purpose of such an event would not only be to cross-endorsement, but also, to endorse the Delegate and the Coral Guard. We could include card rewards and other rewards for top placers in a competition, and offer a lottery for, say, every SWAN Knight.

Work on new welcome TG with Penguin

This work wasn’t started all that much, although we have brought Penguin into the #moe-writing channel to work on this. I would like to get this going at the start of the term, so that Penguin has a working welcome TG by the time she gets the Delegate seat in-game.

Rework welcome dispatches

Within MoE, we’ve discussed that the current welcome dispatches are often confusing for newcomers to navigate. I would like to have a few people work on restructuring the welcome dispatches to improve their readability for new players.

What long-term projects and services would I like to maintain?

Perhaps some of the most important work of the MoE is its long-term infrastructure, which is covered by the following projects.

Card project

This project has been stalled for quite a bit, as there has been a lack of people who are both active and interested in pursuing it. However, Viet, the leader, is more active these days and has expressed that he plans on completing the launch of the South Pacific Association for Cards Exchange (SPACE). I am not personally involved in the card project, but I plan to support Viet with whatever he needs to get this done. The project is near completion and I will be pushing for it to be completed in the term, along with some kind of promotional event upon launch.

Graphics service

There’s not really much I can put in my campaign about what kinds of graphics we will do, since it is 100% dependent on what other parts of government want. However, what I am interested in changing is the structure of the project. Right now, the system works like this: someone pings the graphics team, and then someone responds and completes the request. However, the same few people tend to be responsible for most of the graphics. If there was a leader who actually coordinated the graphics team, they could help 1) get other graphic designers involved, or 2) even potentially do a bit of training for newer graphic designers. I would be happy to appoint a leader who is willing to do (1), but if someone is willing to do (2) as well, that would be extraordinary.

Writing service

The dispatch team was recently rebranded and reorganized as the writing team. This was done because the dispatch project is largely completed, with just occasional maintenance needed for the most part. The writing team is now responsible for writing anything that any government official needs, including announcements, dispatches, or regional telegrams.

Similar to the graphics team, the writing team doesn’t really have any agenda or plan of its own. However, I still think it could benefit from an active leader who is able to coordinate things. They would hopefully be able to engage different staffers in writing and editing things. In an ideal scenario, I would present to the writing team a request for something, like a regional telegram, and explain what I need. Then, the leader would help assign someone to write it, and be the one doing the poking and prodding when things need to get done. The leader would make sure that the piece was edited, and then I would give it a final approval and send it off to whoever needs this. While this may feel like a lot of steps for not much benefit, the greatest benefit in my opinion is to help train a staff member to manage things and potentially gain experience to be a future Minister.

Wiki project

The wiki project to maintain the TSP Wiki is one that has already been largely running without too much of my interference. Of course I monitor the chat and provide my opinion or help when needed, but I let the staffers do the actual work. I would still like to work with the project lead on making it easier for new people to get involved in the wiki, and potentially some more structure to the project itself, but I am encouraged by the existing activity. Since the MoE wiki project is focused on gameplay articles primarily, I’d like for there to be some kind of to-do list of articles to write or update somewhere.

Outreach project

The outreach project is a general overarching project for reaching out to and integrating new players in the region. I’ve been the lead for this one the past term.

So far, we’ve begun sending DMs to new members of our Discord with a template. This is a great first step, but I would like to begin working on another branch of the project. Since we’ve covered Discord, I’d like to cover gameside next. Gameside nations would be the biggest pool of nations we can draw from, but going about that won’t be easy. The outreach project is primarily aimed at manual outreach, so we need to pick and and choose what nations we reach out to. I’m not 100% sure what I’d like to do just yet, but I think that TGing every nation that joins the WA could be one way to go about it (though it may actually benefit us if we send them a telegram a few days after they join the WA, since the initial flood of “endorse me back” telegrams would be over). Regardless, I’ll be pursuing something that targets gameside in the upcoming term.

Other miscellaneous items

I will strive to include Discord, forumside, and gameside

I want to make sure that I distribute information on all three platforms. There are few ways I will achieve this. For one, with the small updates that I want staffers to post, I will have them post on all three places. With bigger things, like events, I will have posts on all three places and coordinate with the Local Council and Delegate when it comes to gameside promotion.

I will work with the Delegate to promote their endorsement count and for other activities

The partnership between the MoE and the incoming delegate, Penguin, has already begun as we are working together on the future welcome telegram, and NNE dispatch, a telegram asking for endorsements, and more. I want to continue this partnership in the future, for example by providing cards for endorsement events.

Conflict of interest disclosure

My main nation, Purple Hyacinth, is in TSP. I am currently part of MoC, MoM, MoE, and OWL staff; a MoFA advisor; a member of the Coral Guard; and the incumbent Minister of Engagement.

I am also the Regio Stellaris, or head of government, of Inferno Stellaria, under the nation Orange Hyacinth. Inferno Stellaria is a small culture-oriented region that does not really involve itself in gameplay at all (despite winning a gameplay award… lmao). I don’t see any potential conflicts simply because Inferno Stellaria is not involved in the interregional politics scene.

I am also a citizen of TRR although I do nothing there anymore except play werewolf sometimes.

Click here for a list of all of my nations | Click here for a list of all of my past and present roles

Closing remarks

Thanks for reading through my campaign, which kinda ended up being longer than expected >_> If you have any questions, please do ask!
[-] The following 3 users Like Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • anjo, Moon, Wizard Ferret