We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Jeeve For Minister of Engagement | Better Then Ron

Who Am I?
I'm Jeeve and I have been in The South Pacific since December 2021, first as a Ambassador then as a Citizen/Legislator. During my time in the South Pacific I have participated in the Ministries of Culture, Engagement and Media as well as the general community.

Why Am I Running?
Pretty simple reason, I believe I can serve as MoE well and advance the Ministry.

Overall Plans 
Due to me being a horrible campaign writer, I'm just going to do dotpoints.
  • Continue delegation of some responsibilities to Project Leaders.
  • Evaluate current Project Leaders and appoint new ones if it is necessary.
  • Attempt to attract new staff members to departments requiring more staff members.

Department-Specific Plans

Cards Department
  • Restart the Cards Department.
  • Create a guide to Cards Trading in general.
  • Create a guide to Card Farming.
Graphics Department
  • Formalise graphics requests using a template similar to Admin Requests.

Writing Department
  • Rework current dispatches to make them more concise and easily understandable.

Wiki Department 
  • Continue working to update current wiki pages and create new pages if necessary
  • Encourage more use of the Wiki by everyday citizens.

Outreach Department 
  • Continuing Discord DMs
  • Creating a Forum Message for new members to explain the intricacies of the Forums (in conjunction with the Writing Team).

Shockingly  Long Conflict of Interest Disclosure
The South Pacific
Legislator (Current)
Staff Member of MoE, MoM, MoC (Current)

Kantrias 
- Minister of Culture (Current)
- Senator (Current, outgoing)
- Member of the Quroum of the Amalysis (Previous)
- Foreign Affairs and Recruitment Worker (Current)
-Private in the Royal Kantrian Army (Current)

United Kingdom
- Deputy Foreign Secretary (Previous)
- Governors Council for Legislative Affairs (Current)
 -Ambassador to The South Pacific and Balder (Current)
- Officer Cadet in the United Kingdom Armed Forces (Current)

Land of Kings and Emperors
Member of the Sentinel Council (Current)
Private in the Army (Current)

Warzone Australia
Ambassador to Caer Sidi (Current)
Member of the Legion (Current)

Citizen Without Any Roles of,
Empire of Great Britain
Odyra
The European Commonwealth of Nations
The Three Isles
Arcesia

That's all for now (I may edit this post throughout the Election), If you have any questions please feel free to ask them.

Are you confident that your conflict of interest report is complete and accurate?
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Jeeve, Quebecshire, Volaworand

Conflicts of interest raise some questions.

1) How do you intend to balance your role as Minister of Engagement with the directly-competing interests of not one but three or four foreign regions (Kantrias, UK, EoGB, possibly LKE), against whom the South Pacific is often in direct conflict?

2) If a conflict arose and you were forced to choose a side between TSP and one of your other regions, where would you fall? If you decided to go the other way, what assurances can you give that you would not attempt to interfere in the outcomes of our own discussions?

3) How do you plan to address chronic turnover issues in the MoE?

4) What prior experience do you have with any of the things you’ve just listed off?

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 3 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Jeeve, Konsa, Quebecshire

How do you plan to attract more staff members?

Can you elaborate or your plans to "restart the Card Department"? Does this mean that you want to start completely anew or work off of what already exists?

What is the purpose of formalizing graphics requests?

How do you plan to encourage use of the wiki?

What info would your proposed "Forum Message for new members to explain the intricacies of the Forums" contain? How would you direct newcomers to it?

Do you have any plans to reach out to the gameside?

What is one thing you want to do differently than a previous Minister of Engagement? What is one thing that you liked about a previous Minister?
[-] The following 2 users Like Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Jeeve

I find it incredibly concerning you omitted your involvement in the Kantrian military from your initial CoI disclosure. Perhaps an honest mistake - but my benefit of the doubt withers when coupled with your ongoing lack of acknowledgement to those who questioned you on it. 

It is worth noting to the voters that the Kantrian military regularly engages in activities opposing the South Pacific Special Forces, be it vandalizing smaller regions for their own amusement or piling for destructive operations such as the one in A Liberal Haven (source), where, in some of the most disgusting fashion I have ever seen on this godforsaken site, held a poll on banning a native of many years from the region. It's sickening, and I would argue against the values of this region as I understand them. But perhaps we're veering too far into the personal/philosophical realm. 

On a similar note, you have also jokingly postured/agendaposted against this region's military in its own Discord server at least once, discouraging a South Pacifican from enlisting (source). Questionable at best, given your interest in a Cabinet level position. 

I am completely unconvinced you would side with the South Pacific and its allies if any conflict arose, which likely will at some point, and you have been avoiding criticism on those grounds thus far. I'll make it clear now - I intend to vote to re-open nominations and encourage others to remember that is an option when voting begins.

(02-27-2022, 01:57 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: Are you confident that your conflict of interest report is complete and accurate?
Yes, I have rectified my CoI to include positions I forgot to include in my original post.
(02-27-2022, 02:19 PM)Witchcraft and Sorcery Wrote: Conflicts of interest raise some questions.

1) How do you intend to balance your role as Minister of Engagement with the directly-competing interests of not one but three or four foreign regions (Kantrias, UK, EoGB, possibly LKE), against whom the South Pacific is often in direct conflict?

2) If a conflict arose and you were forced to choose a side between TSP and one of your other regions, where would you fall? If you decided to go the other way, what assurances can you give that you would not attempt to interfere in the outcomes of our own discussions?

3) How do you plan to address chronic turnover issues in the MoE?

4) What prior experience do you have with any of the things you’ve just listed off?
1. As MoE is an mostly internal position I don't see me coming into direct conflict with my other regions, and I will aim not to become in conflict.
2. I Would obviously weight up up the points and goals of each side and make my decisions from there.
2a. I assure all South Pacificans that I would never interfere in internal plans/discussions relating to issues I am opposed to. (excluding The Assembly, where I believe I can express my viewpoint freely).
3. I have personally found that only the Minister Position has suffered from chronic turnover issues, but I'm only been here for a few months so I may be wrong.
4. I have served as Kantrias' MoC which has included me planning festivals, making announcements and dispatches and leading a small team. I imagine that a lot of skills I have learned there will easily translate to MoE. I have also been a member of LKE's Sentinel Council where I have jointly run the Ministry of Interior.
(02-28-2022, 03:01 AM)Quebecshire Wrote: I find it incredibly concerning you omitted your involvement in the Kantrian military from your initial CoI disclosure. Perhaps an honest mistake - but my benefit of the doubt withers when coupled with your ongoing lack of acknowledgement to those who questioned you on it. 

On a similar note, you have also jokingly postured/agendaposted against this region's military in its own Discord server at least once, discouraging a South Pacifican from enlisting (source). Questionable at best, given your interest in a Cabinet level position. 

1. I forgot, everyone makes a honest mistake sometimes.
1a. I was sleeping and at school, you shouldn't be criticising someone for being in a different time zone then your own.
2. It was a obvious joke, I don't see how it would effect someone enlisting in the SPSF (which I have attempted to enlist in myself).

I will also notice, standing opposed to The South Pacific (or any region) on the R/D front, doesn't mean that I'm not committed to the region and willing to improve it in anyway possible.

Will answer Purple Hyacinth's questions later, I'm going to have dinner and such.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeve's post:
  • Apatosaurus

I think it's fair to say that the way you accepted your nomination wasn't particularly enthusiastic:
(02-23-2022, 01:48 AM)Jeeve Wrote: While I am honoured to be considered for this position, I will have to decline my nomination.  Welp, considering nominations close in half hour and I have the time to maintain the department. I accept my nomination.

Given that context, at a cursory glance, it would seem to me that there's a bit of a difference between "having the time to maintain the department" and "serving as MoE well and advancing the Ministry." Would you consider those two statements to be different — and if so, what changed your perspective? What reassurances do you have for voters that MoE is something you want to do, and not just a position you're running for because nobody else is, and you feel like you can do the job?

On a similar note, in the title of this campaign thread you've argued that you're "better than RON." I'm wondering if you could elaborate a bit more about that. What issues do you see with re-opening nominations? What specific arguments would you make as to why your candidacy is a better alternative?

I realize you're catching a bit of flak in this thread for matters unrelated to my questions...which I suppose is the nature of R/D gameplay. But with that aside, please do know that I ask these questions in good faith and look forward to your answers Smile
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Pronoun's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Jeeve

(02-28-2022, 05:29 AM)Pronoun Wrote: I think it's fair to say that the way you accepted your nomination wasn't particularly enthusiastic:
(02-23-2022, 01:48 AM)Jeeve Wrote: While I am honoured to be considered for this position, I will have to decline my nomination.  Welp, considering nominations close in half hour and I have the time to maintain the department. I accept my nomination.

Given that context, at a cursory glance, it would seem to me that there's a bit of a difference between "having the time to maintain the department" and "serving as MoE well and advancing the Ministry." Would you consider those two statements to be different — and if so, what changed your perspective? What reassurances do you have for voters that MoE is something you want to do, and not just a position you're running for because nobody else is, and you feel like you can do the job?

On a similar note, in the title of this campaign thread you've argued that you're "better than RON." I'm wondering if you could elaborate a bit more about that. What issues do you see with re-opening nominations? What specific arguments would you make as to why your candidacy is a better alternative?

I realize you're catching a bit of flak in this thread for matters unrelated to my questions...which I suppose is the nature of R/D gameplay. But with that aside, please do know that I ask these questions in good faith and look forward to your answers Smile

1. Got to be honest, it's very much that I thought up of plenty of ideas between me accepting my nomination and posting my campaign, which also changed my opinion of how I could operate the Ministry.
2. The "Better Then Ron" thing was just a bit of joke as Ron is my only opponent, I don't see any issues with my boy RON and the purpose of it.
2a. As I said above, I don't seriously believe that I am "Better Then Ron", simply was having a bit of fun.
(02-28-2022, 01:45 AM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote: How do you plan to attract more staff members?

Can you elaborate or your plans to "restart the Card Department"? Does this mean that you want to start completely anew or work off of what already exists?

What is the purpose of formalizing graphics requests?

How do you plan to encourage use of the wiki?

What info would your proposed "Forum Message for new members to explain the intricacies of the Forums" contain? How would you direct newcomers to it?

Do you have any plans to reach out to the gameside?

What is one thing you want to do differently than a previous Minister of Engagement? What is one thing that you liked about a previous Minister?

1. It's isn't really about attracting staff to the Ministry in General, just attracting/encouraging new and current members to join departments which I find need more staff to fill roles. Moving onto my plan, when new Staff Members join I will encourage to join un-filled departments where their skills and talents are needed.
2. I wish to continue from the base started by the Cards Department when they were last active and start working from there.
3. It's really to help the Department when their skills are in high demands to organise their work.
4. It would be nice to have  gameside dispatches (It may be mentioned in the dispatches but I don't remember it being there) and the WFE. I would also the Wiki Team (with the assistance of the writing team) to publish twice monthly updates detailing Wiki pages created and updated and encouraging people to visit the Wiki.
5. It would contain information relating to formatting posts, navigating the Website and some ways to get involved in the Forums.
5a. I imagine it would operate like the Discord DM system created by you, but using Private Messages on the Forums. I imagine someone would have to manually publish a list of new Forum Members, however.
6. I do not currently have any plans for Gameside (Other then Dispatches), But I will open to suggestions from MoE Staff and the public.
7. I don't have problems worthwhile mentioning with your time as MoE.
7a. Big fan of the Discord DM System, I believe it has helped newcomers and gave Staff something to do.

I hope I have answered all of your questions/concerns in a way that you are happy with, feel free to say so if I didn't.  Smile

(02-28-2022, 04:05 AM)Jeeve Wrote: 1. I forgot, everyone makes a honest mistake sometimes.
1a. I was sleeping and at school, you shouldn't be criticising someone for being in a different time zone then your own.
2. It was a obvious joke, I don't see how it would effect someone enlisting in the SPSF (which I have attempted to enlist in myself).

I will also notice, standing opposed to The South Pacific (or any region) on the R/D front, doesn't mean that I'm not committed to the region and willing to improve it in anyway possible.

Will answer Purple Hyacinth's questions later, I'm going to have dinner and such.
Thank you for responding.

Regarding 1, I still find it suspicious, but we can move on from that. Regarding 1a, you were active in the #legislators-lounge Discord channel since being directed confronted on the issue and did not acknowledge it until after editing it silently and being pressed further on it here - so it wasn't just me giving you crap over timezones.

Regarding 2, sure, it is an obvious joke. Let's talk about the not-jokes surrounding your r/d involvement. Your most regular r/d activity (as far as I can tell) is mass-regional-vandalism alongside The Black Hawks (an organization proscribed by the South Pacific for repeated acts of hostility), and the Kantrian army is very regularly deployed in opposition to the SPSF - you, as a Cabinet member, would be privy to information regarding military matters that others are not. How can we trust you to act in the best interests of the South Pacific? 

Furthermore, given that you are running for a position dedicated to the development and growth of this region's community and infrastructure, how do you reconcile that and your concerning conflicts of interest with your repeat complacency in senseless community destruction abroad?

(02-28-2022, 11:42 PM)Quebecshire Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 04:05 AM)Jeeve Wrote: 1. I forgot, everyone makes a honest mistake sometimes.

Thank you for responding.

Regarding 1, I still find it suspicious, but we can move on from that. Regarding 1a, you were active in the #legislators-lounge Discord channel since being directed confronted on the issue and did not acknowledge it until after editing it silently and being pressed further on it here - so it wasn't just me giving you crap over timezones.

Regarding 2, sure, it is an obvious joke. Let's talk about the not-jokes surrounding your r/d involvement. Your most regular r/d activity (as far as I can tell) is mass-regional-vandalism alongside The Black Hawks (an organization proscribed by the South Pacific for repeated acts of hostility), and the Kantrian army is very regularly deployed in opposition to the SPSF - you, as a Cabinet member, would be privy to information regarding military matters that others are not. How can we trust you to act in the best interests of the South Pacific? 

Furthermore, given that you are running for a position dedicated to the development and growth of this region's community and infrastructure, how do you reconcile that and your concerning conflicts of interest with your repeat complacency in senseless community destruction abroad?

1. I edited the post at the first moment I was on a computer and able to edit it. I wasn't attempting to cover up my R/D involvement, as you appear to believe.
2. I have served as a cabinet member and multiple Regional Armies where I have been privy to sensitive information, I didn't/don't reveal any private info to non-authorised persons, I won't be changing that if I'm elected. Shockingly, I do have some morals.
3. Got to be honest, it's a bit different invading a region you have no involvement then a region you have a large amount of involvement and wish to see thrive. As I said earlier, me standing opposed to The South Pacific (or any region) on the R/D front, doesn't mean that I'm not committed to the region and willing to improve it in anyway possible.