We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Motion for Recall of Minister of Media Wizard Ferret

Fellow South Pacificans,

It is with a heavy heart that I appear before you to motion for a recall of Minister of Media Wizard Ferret due to dereliction of duty by the Minister, pursuant to my powers as a legislator according to Section XI(I) of the Charter of the Coalition of the South Pacific.

Despite a strong start to the term, Wizard Ferret has gone completely AWOL over the last couple of weeks, with their TSP nation not being logged in for 23 days now. Furthermore, their last visit to the forums was on April 4, while their last post in the regional Discord server was on April 1 in #mom-leadership, where they reassured me that they’ll return back to activity once they wrap up with their last week of university. As evidenced by the existence of this thread, this has not been the case. While I understand and support the decision to prioritize real life over NationStates, Wizard’s Ferret abrupt disappearance from the region while holding one of its highest and most demanding offices isn’t something we can simply turn a blind eye to.

The Ministry of Media has suffered due to their absence, with no new content being released for consumption since March 2 and the MoM journalists roaming around aimlessly for the better part of the term due to their inactivity. While I realize that I should’ve brought this to the Assembly’s attention sooner as the Prime Minister, my own tangles with real life left me unable to address this matter properly, along with other things. I apologize profusely for not acting on this as quickly as possible, it was a mistake.

It is always sad to see something promising crumble before our own eyes, like it has been the case with Wizard Ferret and MoM during this term. We hoped that Wizard would be the one to prove the doubters wrong and transform the struggling Ministry into something TSP can be proud of, and we did indeed see a flurry of activities that gave us an inkling of what they were capable of achieving, but in the end it wasn’t meant to be. This is an unfortunate yet necessary course of action and I hope that Wizard returns back to activity in TSP in the future, but at the end of the day their unsatisfactory performance as Minister of Media has necessitated this recall. Therefore, I ask the Chairperson to initiate the appropriate Assembly procedure required.

With tentative hopes for the future,
Moon,
Prime Minister.
[-] The following 4 users Like Moon's post:
  • A bee, HumanSanity, Pētea, The Haughtherlands

I'll support this. It's a shame but we could feel it in the air
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

Why not just abolish the Ministry of Media at this point? Surely by now you all have to accept that I’m right and I promise to not be too smug.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Quebecshire, QuietDad, Ryccia, The Haughtherlands, Volaworand

(04-24-2022, 04:01 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Why not just abolish the Ministry of Media at this point? Surely by now you all have to accept that I’m right and I promise to not be too smug.

Too late.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(04-24-2022, 07:34 PM)Tsunamy Wrote:
(04-24-2022, 04:01 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Why not just abolish the Ministry of Media at this point? Surely by now you all have to accept that I’m right and I promise to not be too smug.

Too late.

I said I wouldn't be too smug, not that I wouldn't be smug at all.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

There does seem to be an ongoing issue with Media activity.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

A Minister going AWOL due to RL does not equal proof the Ministry of Media is broken. 

Maybe the Ministry of Media is broken or should be abolished, but this doesn't prove or disprove that.
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

I'm more concerned about the fact that even knowing that the minister would be absent the ministry just went completely inactive. I would've hoped that something would be done to mitigate the effects of the minister's absence.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(04-25-2022, 05:36 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I'm more concerned about the fact that even knowing that the minister would be absent the ministry just went completely inactive. I would've hoped that something would be done to mitigate the effects of the minister's absence.
You can't simultaneously say the Minister should be doing the majority of the Ministry's work and bemoaning that things don't get done without them Tounge

Although, admittedly, planning could have been done better there to delegate to available staff or deputies. Of course, part of the issue here seems to be that Minister Wizard Ferret communicated to the Prime Minister a leave of absence, and then overstayed that leave of absence beyond the point where the Prime Minister could have made reasonable plans.

Of course, an easy solution would be if the Prime Minister could appoint an interim Minister during extended leaves of absence by a Minister ...
Ambassador to Balder

(04-25-2022, 06:02 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: You can't simultaneously say the Minister should be doing the majority of the Ministry's work and bemoaning that things don't get done without them Tounge

That's not my point though. What I say is that the workload within a ministry should be such that a minister and a core team can handle it, rather than requiring an extensive staff that would eventually go inactive. That being said, the fact that a minister would have a core team should mean that they are also qualified to continue doing the work of their ministry, at least the parts of it that were assigned to them. If a ministry grinds to a halt in its entirety when the minister is absent then what good is the staff anyway?

Legal Resources:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • HumanSanity