We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Nomination of HumanSanity to the Legislator Committee

[Image: 8bTZrlf.png]
Fellow South Pacificans,

The Cabinet of the South Pacific, after consultation with the Legislator Committee, is proud to nominate @HumanSanity to the commission, pursuant to our powers under Article 1.(2) of the Legislator Committee Act.

HumanSanity is an exceptionally active and dedicated member of the Coalition, with a plethora of experience in foreign affairs, security operations, military gameplay and the Gameplay community in general. Their past record of service includes successful stints in highly esteemed regions like Renegade Islands Alliance and 10000 Islands, as well as productive tenures as our Minister of Defense and Prime Minister, positions instinctively related to the ensurement of the security of the South Pacific and its community. Furthermore, they continue to serve as a member of the General Corps of the South Pacific Special Forces, a role with duties similar to that of a member of the Legislator Committee, which lends them ready understanding of the important post they’ll assume if confirmed by the Assembly.

The Legislator Committee, following the resignations of Witchcraft and Sorcery, Nakari and Roavin, currently stands at two members, below the minimum number of members legally required for it to function. As such, HumanSanity’s ascendency to the commission will allow it to continue functioning as normal, expedite the processing of legislator applications and go some distance in patching up the enormous gap left behind by the departure of these three stalwart South Pacificans.

The Cabinet is fully confident in our nominee and their ability to expertly face the challenges that comes with this delicate position, and we hope the Assembly shares our conviction as well. As always, we’re open to any questions the Assembly might have about this nomination.

With warmest regards,
On behalf of the Cabinet,
Moon,
Prime Minister.
[-] The following 2 users Like Moon's post:
  • Pētea, Purple Hyacinth

No objection, full support. HS is very qualified, and this nomination is well-deserved! Congratulations on your nomination!

I'd like to thank the Cabinet for their nomination. I'm happy to answer any questions from the Assembly.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • Quebecshire

(05-04-2022, 02:31 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: I'd like to thank the Cabinet for their nomination. I'm happy to answer any questions from the Assembly.
Cake or pie.

(05-04-2022, 04:13 PM)The Haughtherlands Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 02:31 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: I'd like to thank the Cabinet for their nomination. I'm happy to answer any questions from the Assembly.
Cake or pie.

Cake.
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[-] The following 5 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Altrio, anjo, Jebediah, Moon, The Haughtherlands

@HumanSanity has shown his dedication to the region on numerous roles he has held, including his former posts as Minister of Defense and Prime Minister of the South Pacific. Legislator Committee direly needs the new addition that this nomination provides to ensure the membership is at statutory levels the law dictates. 

Questions. 

1. You currently hold a variety of positions in the region. Ambassador, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Advisor, Cabinet Advisor, SPSF General, and some other minor Ministry postings. Do you feel like you can dedicate enough time to the LegComm to ensure you pick your fair share of work with vetting the legislator applications? And with respect to anjo picking up much of the work with reference to pending/approved/denied postings, how much time do you plan to dedicate to the LegComm to ensure work is spread more evenly? 

2. What does 'reasonable extenuating circumstances' (Legislator Committee Act 3(2)), entail, in your opinion as a LegComm nominee, when it comes to the LegComms powers to not remove legislators failing their activity requirement? 

3. Do you believe absences could be long-term or/and open-ended (Legislator Committee Act 3(3)), ie. 6 months, 2 years, permanent, in order to circumvent the voting requirements otherwise required by law from the legislators. 

4. How important do you believe open communications between an applicant and the LegComm is? While the waiting times significantly improved since some months ago, how long an application should reasonably take to be processed by the LegComm? Do you believe it is necessary to keep the applicant in the loop if the application takes more than, say, three days to process? 

Thanks in advance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LFP's post:
  • Moon

Thank you @LFP for your questions

(05-04-2022, 04:49 PM)LFP Wrote: 1. You currently hold a variety of positions in the region. Ambassador, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Advisor, Cabinet Advisor, SPSF General, and some other minor Ministry postings. Do you feel like you can dedicate enough time to the LegComm to ensure you pick your fair share of work with vetting the legislator applications? And with respect to anjo picking up much of the work with reference to pending/approved/denied postings, how much time do you plan to dedicate to the LegComm to ensure work is spread more evenly?
Yes, I do believe I have enough time to dedicate to LegComm work. I'll answer each part of your question:

Most of my other positions are advisory (i.e. MoFA or Cabinet Advisor) or require fairly irregular and simple work (i.e. Ambassador, MoC Staff, MoM Staff, etc.), and thus do not take up a large amount of work-hours. The only position I currently have with regular work load is as a General, work which is both similar in process to serving on the Legislator Committee (i.e. regularly checking/vetting applications) and which is highly flexible and easy to integrate into my routine.

In terms of division of labor in handling Legislator applications, I intend to check for a new Legislator application on days of the week where my RL schedule is more flexible (which is currently 3-5 days per week) as part of my morning and beginning and see through processing of those applications that I find that haven't yet been handled by another LegComm member. I phrase it like this to demonstrate that I'm being very realistic about both when and how I will check applications and that I think the workload would be sustainable for me. In practice, I expect this to be 30-90 minutes of work per week, and I am able to commit to that.

(05-04-2022, 04:49 PM)LFP Wrote: 2. What does 'reasonable extenuating circumstances' (Legislator Committee Act 3(2)), entail, in your opinion as a LegComm nominee, when it comes to the LegComms powers to not remove legislators failing their activity requirement?
"Reasonable extenuating circumstances" would mean instances where sudden or unpredictable real life matters (that they weren't able to predict and post a leave of absence for) limited someone's ability to vote, a time when someone was otherwise active in the region outside of voting, etc. Inherent to this section is the phrase "reasonable", and I think this (rightfully) gives LegComm some discretion here.

(05-04-2022, 04:49 PM)LFP Wrote: 3. Do you believe absences could be long-term or/and open-ended (Legislator Committee Act 3(3)), ie. 6 months, 2 years, permanent, in order to circumvent the voting requirements otherwise required by law from the legislators.
I'm fine with extended leaves of absence. Indefinite LoAs are sometimes necessary due to the complexity of some real life circumstances/situations. Several months long is also sometimes realistic. I may turn my nose up a bit at more than a year, at that point you can just reapply later.

(05-04-2022, 04:49 PM)LFP Wrote: 4. How important do you believe open communications between an applicant and the LegComm is? While the waiting times significantly improved since some months ago, how long an application should reasonably take to be processed by the LegComm? Do you believe it is necessary to keep the applicant in the loop if the application takes more than, say, three days to process?
Open communications between an application and LegComm are highly important, both in order to provide transparency to the process of applying for Legislator status and as part of integrating and orienting a new member to the Assembly and the region writ large. This is something that I was active in doing as Minister of Defense -- e.g. reaching out via forum PM or DM to new Legislators welcoming them after their application was approved. While an application is pending, LegComm should be as transparent as possible so long as disclosing information does not jeopardize its security checks, and should strive to be in active communication if it is going to take longer than 3-4 days to process an application. Barring something tripping a need for additional checks, in my opinion LegComm should need no more than 3 days to process an application.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • A bee

(05-04-2022, 04:15 PM)HumanSanity Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 04:13 PM)The Haughtherlands Wrote:
Cake or pie.

Cake.
Oh, good. Support, then.
Republic of Lansoon (Pacifica)

I move for a vote.

I second.
Republic of Lansoon (Pacifica)