We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DRAFT] [2226.AB] Times Act Repeal Act

Quote:
Times Act Repeal Act
An act to repeal the Times Act

1. Repeal of the Times Act

(1) The legislation known as the "Times Act" shall be rendered inoperable, shall be struck from the laws of the Colalition of the South Pacific, and shall be totally repealed.
I was never a fan of the Times Act and I think that the Times Act has outworn its welcome. It is pretty much useless with the forum updates and has recently caused many headaches. It is doing nothing productive by being on the books. Therefore, I propose we repeal this law.

(06-06-2022, 04:55 PM)Domais Wrote: It is pretty much useless with the forum updates

How so?
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]

(06-06-2022, 05:04 PM)Pronoun Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 04:55 PM)Domais Wrote: It is pretty much useless with the forum updates

How so?

They give a deadline of whatever days I can just read the timestamp of the post (which is in my timezone) and add whatever days to it.

Yes. It provided the fomentation framework of 'whatever it is that is going on with GC'; the aforementioned condition clueing on its' incompatibility with the current forum structure; and the (most likely) future Discourse forum structure renders it unnecessary.

This doesn't need to be repealed. It's best practice and alleviates issues of being a community with members spanning different hemispheres. The reason it exists was to codify practice that we couldn't guarantee every official followed. The act didn't cause any recent legal issues, the way the Chair decided to honor a post time stamp vs a deadline provided in the body of the voting instructions are what caused issues. That legal dispute would've existed regardless.

Even with the move to Discourse, specific codes have to be used to show dates and times in different timezones.

Out of curiosity, why is it being said that the Times Act has caused problems?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(06-06-2022, 11:22 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Out of curiosity, why is it being said that the Times Act has caused problems?

The current controversy has shown that it has caused ambiguity in defined deadlines.

But what does the Times Act have to do with it?
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(06-07-2022, 12:11 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: But what does the Times Act have to do with it?

Some people are claiming that the Times Act's deadlines override the deadlines in other laws.

(06-07-2022, 02:04 PM)Domais Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 12:11 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: But what does the Times Act have to do with it?

Some people are claiming that the Times Act's deadlines override the deadlines in other laws.

But...the Times Act does even set deadlines, it just says how deadlines must be formatted.

Legal Resources:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • rosaferri