We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Preparatory Debate

2022 GREAT COUNCIL OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC
PREPARATORY DEBATE

Members who automatically qualified or who were approved for participation in the Great Council (hereafter referred to as participants) may at this point raise points on matters of procedure and engage in an initial discussion on the issues that should be addressed during these proceedings and how exactly they should be addressed in the general debate stage.

This stage will remain open from to
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Gitlok, im_a_waffle1

keep lc as-is

*loud grumbling*

rmb no longer votes on laws unless they are legislators

*grumbling calms down*

bicamerial legislature

*guns*
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes im_a_waffle1's post:
  • Ryccia

There are three very important As that I want to raise in this GC:
  • Abolish the Local Council (LC)
  • Abolish gameside approval for any and all laws
  • Abolish gameside elections

With respect to procedure, I believe it would be most suitable to open up discussion on individual issues identified — for instance, RMB representation, legislative structure, and so forth — to identify general sentiment on each issue before drafting more definitive and comprehensive proposals. Reconciling multiple large and comprehensive drafts, if the opinion here favors parts of one and parts of another, would be cumbersome; and if it reaches the reconciliation procedure established in the convening resolution, we'd only be able to vote for one over another in a competing vote.
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 5 users Like Pronoun's post:
  • HumanSanity, im_a_waffle1, Jebediah, Killer, Moon

Aside from matters already brought up, I believe we should have a discussion on whether to bring back a delegate as both the head of state and government. In this delegate election, we only have one candidate. In last month's prime minister election, there was only one candidate. We should also discuss how the Cabinet is filled, whether by appointment or election. Additionally, we should settle on what constitutes a citizen of this region.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 3 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Beepee, HumanSanity, im_a_waffle1

I suggest the following topics for the Great Council:
  • The role and structure of gameside government.
  • The Delegacy in-general: election (or selection) process, responsibilities, term lengths/limits, etc.
  • Structure of the executive: Prime Minister election, Minister election/selection, Ministry portfolio composition, etc.
  • What constitutes a citizen? Is it a status granted upon application or do all nations have it? What rights/protections does it have? How do we "check" nations for citizenship?
  • CRS/Coral Guard reform: Is the Coral Guard working? What powers should the CRS have?
  • SPSF Structuring: Should it remain within the Cabinet? Should it be brought under the leadership of the Prime Minister? Should it be removed from government entirely? What is the role of the General Corps?
  • Election Procedure: Why do we have 7 different election procedures? Why are our voting periods so long?
  • Assembly procedure: Why are our voting periods so long?
  • Assembly composition/legislature: what is an all-citizen legislature getting us? What alternatives exist?
  • Accountability: Are recalls the best mechanism? Automatic recalls/reconfirmation votes?
  • Term limits?
  • Border Control reform: structuring who can be a BC RO, how they're selected, etc.
  • Proscriptions: does the current system still make sense? Should criteria be loosened? Tightened? Etc.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • Moon

Good Morning

The topics I would wish to seek to be discussed:
  • Reduce the size of the executive government
  • Retain and increase powers of LC (in amended form)
  • Increase the authority of gameside
  • Expand role of Delegate
  • Amend CRS

For how the debate should be organised -
  • respectful of opposing views
  • without threat of retaliation
  • as inclusive as possible avoid the loudest voices being the only ones heard
  • with sufficient time to allow full debate
  • with top table of experienced legislators who may have been at the previous grand council who can provide guidance and advice as to the discussion
[-] The following 2 users Like Beepee's post:
  • Amerion, Cloud

I am from Gitlok and I'm World Assembly Member. As a member state I have always wanted to reunite all the nations for peace and harmony. That's why this opportunity is perfect for me to put my points forward. I hope you will let me in.

Some topics :
- strengthen the assembly of the tsp and the owl by giving importance to the ministry of engagement so that it guides as many nations as possible on this forum and on the discord. This will allow for better representation of the region with more legislators and owl staff.

-As Pronoun suggests, first propose several topics for discussion directly to the region for the preparation of this council; but also to generalize the use of referendums via polls to involve the region directly in the drafting of laws.

The objective of these proposals is to encourage democratic life in the region.

[Image: Sl6mZCD_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium][Image: iEwICrf_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium][Image: MbXQuqv_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium]

What I'm seeing being suggested falls into these broad categories:

Reform of RMB governance - This includes abolishing the Local Council, changing how the Local Council works, RMB moderation, and the notion of what "game side" or "in-game" governance even is, and what legislative roles any RMB-based institution should or shouldn't have.

Changes to the Executive Branch - This includes realigning the head of state and head of government, in relation to the current split with a powerful Prime Minister as head of government and a figurehead Delegate as a head of state; how to choose the Delegate; the function and structure of the Cabinet; election methodologies.

Changes to the Legislative Branch - This includes unicameralism vs bicameralism, sizer, and membership qualifications.

"Rights and freedoms" - Who has them? What are they? How are they enforced?

There's been mention of the CRS, but no actual description of what topics are relevant there. HumanSanity has brought up Border Control, but not in direct relation to the CRS itself.

So we're going to have a lot to discuss! I'll note that the procedures for this Great Council do not limit debate and proposals to what is discussed during this first week. This is about brainstorming and getting those juices flowing while participants are registered.
[-] The following 2 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • A bee, HumanSanity