We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

General Debate

2022 GREAT COUNCIL OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC
GENERAL DEBATE

Members who automatically qualified or who were approved for participation in the Great Council (hereafter referred to as participants) may at this point engage in a discussion of the points that were raised during the preparatory debate stage, as well as any other points that may surface henceforth, and submit draft proposals for the consideration of the Great Council.

Refer to the Great Council Convening Resolution of 2022 for further information on the procedures of the Great Council.

This is an informational thread. Proposals should be discussed in individual threads.

SCHEDULE

The general debate stage lasts a minimum of three weeks and will only conclude once the Great Council approves a motion to close debate with a 60% majority. A participant may motion to close debate no earlier than .

PROCEDURE

Participants may submit proposals for the consideration of the Great Council, subject to the following considerations:
  • Participants are only those who have been listed in the Official Dashboard. Others will not be recognised.

• Proposals must have been debated for at least five days and must have received a motion before they may be brought to a vote.

• Proposals must receive the assent of at least 60% of the Great Council over a five-day period in order to be considered for reconciliation or final adoption, as may be the case.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

We should consider moving to an appointment-based Cabinet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moon's post:
  • Comfed

I would encourage all participants who have proposals in mind to prepare drafts on them so that discussion can move on from general ideas to specific drafts. I realise that part of the goal of the Great Council is to have a thorough debate, but I do think that at some point discussion should revolve around specific proposals that can be voted on. I would also encourage participants to discuss among themselves and decide if there is any chance of working on common proposals, so that we slowly begin to work on our final omnibus.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • maluhia

Chair, can you elaborate on and/or clarify the procedure for motioning proposals to vote?
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

Per the Great Council Convening Resolution of 2022, proposals that have been at debate for at least 5 days may be motioned to a vote by any participant. If a proposal receives a motion then:
  1. The Chair will recognise the motion and bring the proposal to a vote at the next available time.

2. Votes will always open at 14:00 UTC following the motion; for example, if a motion was made at 21:00 UTC then the vote would open the next day at 14:00 UTC. The purpose of this would be to ensure consistency and predictability in the voting process.

3. Votes will extend for 5 days and all proposals will require a three-fifths majority to pass, per Article XIV, Section 5 of the Charter.

Legal Resources:

As a point of information, how will voting be conducted? Via poll or via forum posts (since there is no "Great Council" mask to restrict voting area access)?
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

I would say via forum posts, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Legal Resources:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • HumanSanity

(08-16-2022, 11:45 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I would say via forum posts, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise.
I, personally, am fine with that solution but wanted to know for information
Ambassador to Balder