We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

MoCelia: For Construction of Culture

[Image: YeN3JfY.png]

In the last cabinet elections I lost to @rosaferri, which I was actually happy about: @rosaferri had very good plans. Unfortunately, people with good plans aren't always fit for a position. Nothing has really happened during @rosaferri's term and she has recently left the region. I hope to see her return in the future. I believe that I would be as good of a MoC though, which is neccesary during such a historical period like the GC. I chose 'Construction of Culture' as the theme of my campaign this time, since I believe that MoC needs a strong construction to work with. I will explain my plans relating to this below.

Plans

The Great Council

There will be discussions about accepted GC proposals relating to MoC and new improvements to the ministry will be discussed.
The GC is a very large and complicated undertaking. I have been following the GC discussions though, so I know what plans are being discussed. I myself haven't really participated all that much since I believe that most important things have already been said and discussed. It is likely that there will be major changes coming to the cabinet, and even some changes to MoC itself. I will do my best to adapt to these changes and actually listen to the opinions of my staffers. In a situation like this it is important that everyone is heard. I would also like to start a sort of mini-GC inside MoC to see if any changes to the ministry are requested. These changes will be discussed and tried out. By doing this I hope to make MoC more accesible to our staffers.

Reaching out to TSP

There will be a new monthly dispatch showing our progress on projects.
Currently we have Cabinet Updates to let people know what a ministry has been doing, but these are short and do not always reach parts of TSP like the gameside. So, I will make longer updates in a dispatch on the TSP Minister of Culture nation. I think that this is a nice improvement to MoC since it will give more insight into how our ministry functions and gives people knowledge about the progress on our projects.

Getting Staffers and Citizens to Think

I will check in on staff every month and there will also be a thread where people are encouraged to submit ideas.
I have noticed that many staffers have good ideas, but there are very few oppurtinities for them to use them. How do we solve this? I have two plans: my first plan is to send every staffer a message each month asking if they would like to stay in MoC and if they would like to see anything in MoC change. My second plan is specifically focused on games and events. I will create a thread in the #lampshade-bar channel on Discord and then invite our staffers to submit ideas, though regular citizens are also more than welcome to suggest things. I will also put a forms in the aforementioned dispatch if people do not want to post in the Discord thread. People who suggested them will be asked if they want to host them for a couple of weeks to see if it is a success or not. With these improvements I hope to get the most out of our staffers and citizens.

Removing Hosting Times

Set hosting times for certain activities will be removed.
Currently, MoC has decided at what time games should be hosted at days throughout the week. This creates two isssues: games are not always available to all time zones and games often have to be cancelled or delayed because of sudden inavailabilties. The solution to this is surprisingly simple: the removal of hosting times. This creates less stress for hosts since they can host their game all day. By doing this, some activities become available to people who couldn't participate before. 

Roleplay Community Support

There will be a start to properly supporting the RP Community.
The hardest part of MoC is trying to connect roleplay to MoC. I am not an RPer myself but I have followed TSPRP for a long time, and there it has been brought to my attention that we really do need to change this: we have been neglecting the RP Community for too long.  Although I would like to go for a second term to work out these ideas as good as possible, I would at least like to make a reasonable start to the following, whether I am elected or not:

1. Sharing MoC events with the RP Community
We used to share our events in the TSPRP Discord server but we have stopped doing that. I would like to do this again. People in TSPRP often do not meet people from the rest of the region, so it would be nice to bring people of the region together in events and also make them see what exactly MoC does. I will also give them the option of joining MoC since we can use some people if you look at my other ideas.
2. RP Publicity
RP events can use some more publicity, so MoC will share RP events with the rest of the region. The RP community as a whole can use more publicity. I would like to work with MoE on a dispatch with information about Pacifica, a1-0 and Aurora. This dispatch will replace the link to Pacifica on the WFE. The Discord link to TSPRP should also be updated.
3. More Events
Making MoC-RP events is hard but not impossible since we have done some in the past. Ministers often lack ideas and interest for an event like this but I would like to actively work towards getting good ideas. It is important that this is not an event by MoC where RPers can participate in, but it should be an event by the RP Community for the RP Community. MoC should only assist in making and promoting it. All planning will take place in the TSPRP Discord server so we don't do the opposite of what I just said.
4. The Treasure Island Report
The TIR is a great initiative which unfortunately does not exist anymore due to a lack of interest. Take a look at it here: https://tspforums.xyz/thread-9050.html. I would like to bring it back since I believe it is quite easy to do. We already have quite a lot of RPers in MoC so I would like to give interested RPers the job of making the TIR. With enough support to the writers we will be able to make a TIR just as good as it used to be.

Processing Applications

All unprocessed applications will get a normal treatment if the maker of the application would still like to join.
No MoC applications have been proccesed during the term of @rosaferri, but I would still like to do something with these applications. Everyone who applied for MoC will get a message asking if they would still like to join the ministry. If so, the application will be processed like normal.

Community Chosen Event

Now, let's talk about a more fun topic. The community chosen event is an event that every citizen can help with. How? First, staffers will submit some theme ideas for an event in a period of three days. Then I will create a poll available to everyone, where people can vote on their favorite theme. The theme with the most votes will become a regional event with that theme. 

TSP Summerfest

Don't worry: I don't have to make Autumnfest yet. Due to the unexpected events still in planning during my previous term I haven't been able to do this event. I will do my best to actually run this event, or at least prepare everything so that the next MoC can do it. For those who do not know about Summerfest yet, it is the revival of an old event with the same idea made by @Royaltica. It will be filled with games related to the season. All our allied regions will be invited to participate. Making events is the most fun part of MoC, so I hope that I will be elected so I can make this event with my staffers.

Previous Term Plans

It is worth noting how I have delivered with my plans previous term. Please note that plans which I have already mentioned are not listed. I have also added other things that I did during my term. Look at a detailed explanation of the state of each plan here:

Double Notifications: Finished
More Senior Staff: Finished
Balder-TSP Event: Finished
'Event' Function: Finished
Monthly Prize: Finished
Pride Month Festival: Finished
Variation Friday: Finished
Roleplay Region Project: Ongoing
TNP-TSP Event: Ongoing
Games and Events Channel: Cancelled
Sharing the Culture Calendar: Cancelled
Conflict of Interest

Now that I have finished with talking about my plans, I should tell about myself. I have joined NationStates on the 12th of April 2021 with my first nation, Murelia, which was founded in the South Pacific. After that, I have never on purpose left the region. I have been in MoC for more than a year, and in that time I have run for MoC three times: the first time I lost to @Eshialand, the second time I won from @philipmacaroni and the third time I lost to @rosaferri. I have no positions in other regions, though I do have two puppets in my ambassador regions, two in some of our allied regions and five defender puppets:

Mechelen in Spiritus
Drenthe in the East Pacific
Utrecht in the West Pacific
Burgundy in the North Pacific
SPSF Murelia 1 in Artificial Solar System
SPSF Murelia 2 in Artificial Solar System
SPSF Murelia 3 in Artificial Solar System
SPSF Murelia 4 in Artificial Solar System
SPSF Murelia 5 in Artificial Solar System

Current positions in the government:

Legislator
MoC Senior Staff
SPSF Soldier
MoE Staff
MoFA Ambassador
OWL Staff

Past positions in the government:

Minister of Culture
Local Councillor
W&R Bureau Administrator

Closing remarks

Thank you for reading my campaign! Do not hesitate to ask questions if you have them. I hope to see you vote, whether it would be for me or not.
[-] The following 3 users Like Murelia's post:
  • Altrio, GI-Land, maluhia

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: Set hosting times for certain activities will be removed.
Sounds cool! Do you have any ideas for 'asynchronous' activities? I know you talk a lot about asking other people for ideas, but I'm curious to hear what some of your own are.

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: There will be a start to getting more roleplayers in MoC.
I don't want to make the relationship sound completely one-sided, but the Charter does say that the Minister of Culture is "responsible for supporting the roleplay community" — not necessarily for getting RPers more involved directly in the MoC, nor vice versa. So I'm curious if you have plans to "connect roleplay to MoC" beyond advertising events to the RP community and inviting them to join the MoC? And do you have any plans to directly support the RP community beyond a hope that "one day" it will be able to look to the MoC for "resources"?

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: For those who do not know about Summerfest yet, it is the revival of an old event with the same idea made by @Royaltica.
For those also not familiar with events from Royaltica's time in our government, can you elaborate further?
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pronoun's post:
  • Murelia

Thank you for the questions! Good to see questions early on in the elections.
(07-30-2022, 12:40 PM)Pronoun Wrote:
(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: Set hosting times for certain activities will be removed.
Sounds cool! Do you have any ideas for 'asynchronous' activities? I know you talk a lot about asking other people for ideas, but I'm curious to hear what some of your own are.
I don't play that much online games so I don't have many activities that I can propose. I did try out UNO and Cityguesser during Variation Friday since I saw their popularity. I will further try out these games to see if the community wants them, see the newly added 'Variation Friday' section under Previous Term Plans.
(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: There will be a start to getting more roleplayers in MoC.
I don't want to make the relationship sound completely one-sided, but the Charter does say that the Minister of Culture is "responsible for supporting the roleplay community" — not necessarily for getting RPers more involved directly in the MoC, nor vice versa. So I'm curious if you have plans to "connect roleplay to MoC" beyond advertising events to the RP community and inviting them to join the MoC? And do you have any plans to directly support the RP community beyond a hope that "one day" it will be able to look to the MoC for "resources"?
Like I said: getting the RP community really connected with MoC is hard. I am planning on going for a third and probably for a long time last term where I look at how we can reach different parts of our region the best, which for a large part is the RP Community. I think that during this term though we should focus on the GC and the issues that come with it. Getting roleplayers more involved and used to our ministry is a good start. You raise a good point though, so I will come up with some ideas and I will also ask some staffers experienced with RP for their opinions.
(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: For those who do not know about Summerfest yet, it is the revival of an old event with the same idea made by @Royaltica.
For those also not familiar with events from Royaltica's time in our government, can you elaborate further?
I have been on NationStates for a year now though not that long. I get that you might be concerned that the event won't be well made without Royaltica being here though it is mostly the idea of doing an event every season that I like. Of course I will look at the Summerfest Discord Server and the dispatches for most inspiration. The most notable thing is the art contest, so that will be included. There will also be some spam games, online games and some other things which you will see when the event comes.

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: and even some changes to MoC itself. I will do my best to adapt to these changes

If elected and those changed enacted, you should adapt to those changes. However, why are you not actively participating in discussions regarding changes to the MoC? The GC discussions regarding the MoC-LC-Delegate and the Cabinet changes would greatly benefit from having someone with as much experience within one Ministry giving their opinion on the matters.

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: Currently we have Cabinet Updates to let people know what a ministry has been doing, but these are short and do not always reach parts of TSP like the gameside.

I might be misinterpreting your implications here, but are you suggesting that the Executive should give regular, detailed reports on what it has been doing? Yes, I whole-heartedly agree, so much so that I believe that regular, detailed reports/updates/briefs should be codified as a requirement.
However, the Executive is elected by the Assembly and should thus be first responsible to their own electorates for providing this information. The game-side should also be included, although it should not be the primary address of the Executive Government.

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: Roleplayers will engage more with MoC by helping with events and participating in them. The hardest part of MoC is trying to connect roleplay to MoC. I hope that one day MoC can look at the roleplay community if they need help with making events, and the RP Community in turn can look at MoC if they need resources for RP activities.

TSRPers should not be forced to engage with TSPolitics. Events and participation in them of TSRP and MoC are very separate entities and should remain as such. It is the duty of the MoC to engage with TSRP, not the other way around.
However, a revision could be reached if you further elaborate on what kind of resources the MoC would provide to TSRP and under what circumstances?

(07-30-2022, 01:49 PM)Murelia Wrote: Getting roleplayers more involved and used to our ministry is a good start.

Why should people who choose to participate in TSRP be encouraged to also participate in TSPolitics? If bridging the gap is an issue, the solution should not have an approach of disregarding the choices that people have made in regard to what they wish to partake in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes A bee's post:
  • Murelia

(07-31-2022, 05:13 PM)A bee Wrote:
(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: and even some changes to MoC itself. I will do my best to adapt to these changes

If elected and those changed enacted, you should adapt to those changes. However, why are you not actively participating in discussions regarding changes to the MoC? The GC discussions regarding the MoC-LC-Delegate and the Cabinet changes would greatly benefit from having someone with as much experience within one Ministry giving their opinion on the matters.
I am unfortunately not that good at voicing my own opinion and I think that it won't change that much to the GC discussions. I would like to participate in the discussions though if you think that it would help.
(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: Currently we have Cabinet Updates to let people know what a ministry has been doing, but these are short and do not always reach parts of TSP like the gameside.

I might be misinterpreting your implications here, but are you suggesting that the Executive should give regular, detailed reports on what it has been doing? Yes, I whole-heartedly agree, so much so that I believe that regular, detailed reports/updates/briefs should be codified as a requirement.
However, the Executive is elected by the Assembly and should thus be first responsible to their own electorates for providing this information. The game-side should also be included, although it should not be the primary address of the Executive Government.
MoC can't decide what the other ministries do of course. Although I would like to see other ministries do this as well, it is especially important for MoC to show what activities we are doing and how our progress on them is since there is no way to see that otherwise.
(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: Roleplayers will engage more with MoC by helping with events and participating in them. The hardest part of MoC is trying to connect roleplay to MoC. I hope that one day MoC can look at the roleplay community if they need help with making events, and the RP Community in turn can look at MoC if they need resources for RP activities.

TSRPers should not be forced to engage with TSPolitics. Events and participation in them of TSRP and MoC are very separate entities and should remain as such. It is the duty of the MoC to engage with TSRP, not the other way around.
However, a revision could be reached if you further elaborate on what kind of resources the MoC would provide to TSRP and under what circumstances?
(07-30-2022, 01:49 PM)Murelia Wrote: Getting roleplayers more involved and used to our ministry is a good start.

Why should people who choose to participate in TSRP be encouraged to also participate in TSPolitics? If bridging the gap is an issue, the solution should not have an approach of disregarding the choices that people have made in regard to what they wish to partake in.
It is not my intent to make them involved in politics, and I definitly don't want to force them to do so. I only want to invite them to participate in some of our events, and I will also introduce the option of joining us. I am not trying to solve the issue of a disconnected RP community, it is only a small improvement. I could make idealistic promises but I like to stay realistic since I know that I can't reach them in one term. Only if there is excess time I will start working on supporting the RP community more. I did say that I want to help the RP community if they need assistance. The resources that I have mentioned would be things like reaching MoE, getting advice from us or staff needed for setting up an RP event.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murelia's post:
  • A bee

Thank you for your extensive response, particularly the clarification on your intentions related to the TSRP and TSPolitics games. However,

(08-01-2022, 09:33 AM)Murelia Wrote: I would like to participate in the discussions though if you think that it would help.

I think everyone who can, should participate, regardless if helpful or not - democracy can only survive with active participation. This is especially favorable in the case when someone who has experience related to a particular Executive branch position is present during discussions related to changes to the Executive as a whole.
[-] The following 1 user Likes A bee's post:
  • Murelia

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: No MoC applications have been proccesed during the term of @rosaferri, but I would still like to do something with these applications. Everyone who applied for MoC will get a message asking if they would still like to join the ministry. If so, the application will be processed like normal.

Firstly, very well-done campaign. 

Secondly, I just have one question right now at the moment, but maybe more will appear...

Anyways, well, this, the above quoted, is a truly wonderful idea. But, if someone, let's say doesn't reply within one week, would you just discard the application? Or would you have a standard replying time and after that's all done, the application is, "thrown out the window?"

Again, wonderful campaign.
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

[-] The following 1 user Likes maluhia's post:
  • Murelia

(08-03-2022, 07:55 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote:
(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: No MoC applications have been proccesed during the term of @rosaferri, but I would still like to do something with these applications. Everyone who applied for MoC will get a message asking if they would still like to join the ministry. If so, the application will be processed like normal.

Firstly, very well-done campaign. 

Secondly, I just have one question right now at the moment, but maybe more will appear...

Anyways, well, this, the above quoted, is a truly wonderful idea. But, if someone, let's say doesn't reply within one week, would you just discard the application? Or would you have a standard replying time and after that's all done, the application is, "thrown out the window?"

Again, wonderful campaign.
Thank you for the compliments regarding my campaign. You don't have to discard applications, so people are still allowed to reply after a long period of time. If someone wants to join MoC there is no reason to tell them to make a new application if there is already one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murelia's post:
  • maluhia

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: I would also like to start a sort of mini-GC inside MoC to see if any changes to the ministry are requested.
You are making a conscious decision to stay out of the actual Great Council, but want to conduct a smaller Great Council with just a subset of South Pacificans within the Ministry? I have to question why. We're going to be holding new elections after the Great Council anyway for new Ministers to make changes, if necessary. In the meantime, the role of the Ministry of Culture will still be defined under our current laws. If staffers want to make changes to the Ministry beyond the scope of our current law, they can propose those changes at the Great Council. And if you want to make changes within the Ministry, you can just, like, describe it in your campaign instead of a vague promise to "see if any changes to the ministry are requested."

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: I have noticed that many staffers have good ideas, but there are very few oppurtinities for them to use them.
To address this, you say you have two plans: message each staffer each month, and create a thread in #lampshade-bar. How are either of those related to creating more opportunities to use those ideas? And especially with creating a thread in #lampshade-bar — what's the benefit here compared to letting Ministry staffers just, like, send their ideas to you or to a Ministry channel? (And for residents more broadly, what's the benefit here compared to just, like, contacting you or someone else in the ministry?)

(07-30-2022, 12:01 PM)Murelia Wrote: First, staffers will submit some theme ideas for an event in a period of three days.
I'm noticing a theme here! Asking staffers for ideas is great and all, but... any specifics? What are you thinking for this event? Will it be hosted on Discord? On the RMB? How long will it be? Will it occur at specific times or will you remove hosting times for this too? "I will ask staffers for ideas" is a promise any candidate can make. Do you have any ideas, as Minister, as to what general direction you'd like to set for the Ministry?

(07-30-2022, 01:49 PM)Murelia Wrote: I have been on NationStates for a year now though not that long. I get that you might be concerned that the event won't be well made without Royaltica being here though it is mostly the idea of doing an event every season that I like. Of course I will look at the Summerfest Discord Server and the dispatches for most inspiration. The most notable thing is the art contest, so that will be included. There will also be some spam games, online games and some other things which you will see when the event comes.
So Summerfest was a Discord-based event with an art contest, some spam channels, and some online games. As someone who still has little clue what Summerfest actually is, do you have any plans beyond that which you'd like to share?
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Pronoun's post:
  • Maverick, Murelia

Hello there!

I'm a major forum RP'er and also an editor for all three RP canons on the supporting TSPedia. I was wondering about a few concerns that I share with my fellow RP'ers which we talked about over discord. I'm afraid that there's a problem with a growing rift between gameside and the RP community, specifically the RP that takes place on these forums in Treasure Island. Frankly, most RP'ers are RP forum isolationists, but fairly active on our TSPRP discord and few gamesiders or even other forum users dwell on ours. I think the rift happened with consecutive MoC's eroding their relations with the forum RP community and it hasn't been addressed properly, which I hope will change with the next MoC.

Glad to hear you actively wish to work with us, but it seems fairly limited. At least to us forum RP'ers since if anything, we have a lot of inspiration to set each of our RP canons on fire. I say this as the primary RP'er of the Sector A1-0 canon who did a lot of the worldbuilding and helping find its own identity. As for your idea for staffers, we did have the Treasure Island Reports under the MoE. Which I feel didn't get the acknowledgment they deserved, nor the non-Pacifica canon. However, this endeavour ceased to exist as communication & deadlines eroded from all parties involved. IRL health takes priority every time and we wouldn't want to corner anyone into feeling pressured to write these dispatch reports. So I wonder how you see these dispatches function and how you envision them to be frequent while still having a healthy work ethic? Like say a staffer doesn't meet the deadline? How will you handle the situation?

I believe an engaging MoC could help bridge the gap, but I'd rather see those actions beforehand. For example I don't see you engage with the forums RP community, be it through these forums or on our Discord server, so I am slightly worried about your engagement promises, but I hope to be proven wrong.

As for RP'ers in the MoC, that might be an inspirational goal, but not realistic I find. We barely can hold our new RP'ers as is, as they come in cycles of inactivity and then leave, getting them engaged in the MoC as well I find less likely. Granted this is due to lack of communication, but still not an expectation you should have of RP'ers like me who really try to work on all three canons while combining IRL. However, a closer line of communication should improve both parties drastically, so my question here is, how do you intend to upkeep a communication line with the forum RP community?
Pacifica: MyriaSallodesia, Stoinia • A1-0: Stoinian Star Kingdom • Aurora: Kingdom of Threnebor
[-] The following 4 users Like Maverick's post:
  • A bee, GI-Land, Murelia, Pronoun