We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Keep Things Running: ProfessorHenn for Minister of Culture

[Image: SJ250_Sunset_High_Speed_Sweden.jpg]

I started to interact with NationStates in June 2014. It is now 8 years past that time, and in the many moons between I've been a part of TSP's culture/regional affairs ministry for almost as long as I've been in TSP. It's why I'm still here playing this game, despite all of the real-life circumstances that draw me away: It's fun to see people enjoy their time, and it's extra fun to coordinate that so they can enjoy it. So, here I am, getting into Culture again with the hope that I can help keep things running.

1. A weekly event for South Pacificans to enjoy. The most nefarious one to commit to, and also the one with the greatest importance. Working with current Ministry officials, we ought to rotate the curator of each week's event so that they get the hands-on experience if a newer member, or showcase their expertise as a senior member. A variety of options exist, such as .io games, flash games, and inter-regional activities like Rock, Paper, Scissors. Every event we can deliver successfully is a victory for the region, even if it's something small. Progress isn't a straight line up.
  2. A major inter-regional Olympics with our allies in the Aegis Accords, to celebrate its passage and help solidify the bonds that exist with our friends. This is one of my hallmark events and the one I would be most excited to see come to fruition in the near future. Working with the Ministry's counterparts to bring together something so grand would reap great dividends, in our expanding knowledge of maintaining the Ministry's culture events and deepening our ties so that future inter-regional events will be easier to organize.
  3. Increasing cooperation with the Ministry of Engagement, with the express goal of actively recruiting more individuals to serve across all levels of South Pacifican government and society. The stagnation of the current Ministry in recruiting is saddening, but not irreparable. With the previous two points to serve as definitive proof of the Ministry's activity, current or future, I aim to recruit at least a half-dozen individuals into the Ministry of Culture by the start of the next term, so that the next Minister will have a ready Ministry to do good things with.

I've always believed in Culture as the defining characteristic for any region, and it's our job to promote it as best we can. Aside from real-life obligations associated with my jobs, the only conflict of interest I have is that I am a roleplayer in Selene. Let's keep things running.
ProfessorHenn
Legislator
[-] The following 3 users Like ProfessorHenn's post:
  • Altrio, maluhia, Murelia

I am starting to question this election. Nevertheless, good to see an old member like you come back to participate. Although it is quite short and more focused on games than improving the system of MoC, I like your ideas. I have two questions:
(08-03-2022, 05:07 AM)ProfessorHenn Wrote: Working with current Ministry officials, we ought to rotate the curator of each week's event so that they get the hands-on experience if a newer member, or showcase their expertise as a senior member.
That is a nice idea, though things might have changed since the last time you where here since we now have an activity almost every day. Will you add a single weekly event with a changing curator or do you have a different way of doing this plan?
(08-03-2022, 05:07 AM)ProfessorHenn Wrote: With the previous two points to serve as definitive proof of the Ministry's activity, current or future, I aim to recruit at least a half-dozen individuals into the Ministry of Culture by the start of the next term, so that the next Minister will have a ready Ministry to do good things with.
This is a good idea, though recruiting people isn't that easy. Do you have any ideas of your own on how to get more people in MoC?

(08-03-2022, 05:07 AM)ProfessorHenn Wrote:  
  • A major inter-regional Olympics with our allies in the Aegis Accords, to celebrate its passage and help solidify the bonds that exist with our friends. This is one of my hallmark events and the one I would be most excited to see come to fruition in the near future. Working with the Ministry's counterparts to bring together something so grand would reap great dividends, in our expanding knowledge of maintaining the Ministry's culture events and deepening our ties so that future inter-regional events will be easier to organize.

•  

Well, first off, as a fellow candidate for this election, I must say, wonderful campaign. 

Secondly, I have a question, or two for you. I love this idea about a major-interregional Olympics. But, as of right now on gameside NS, there is a nation named A Place Somewhere who holds the "TSP Olympics." They have an alt account which pulls all of the strings, gets some nations to make Olympic teams, and then uses online simulators to compete. As a nation who participates in TSP Olympics, I totally love it (that also may be because I got 2nd place overall ^^, but). If elected, would you be open to working with A Place Somewhere on created these "Aegis Accords Olympics?" Or would you keep them to administrating the regional Olympics? Would you work with them in general?

Sorry if that is a lot to comprehend and answer, sometimes I just keep typing!
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

Hello there!

I'm a major forum RP'er and also an editor for all three RP canons on the supporting TSPedia. I was wondering about a few concerns that I share with my fellow RP'ers which we talked about over discord. As you campaign slogan suggests, you'd like to keep things as is. Though I'm afraid that might prove a problem for a growing rift between gameside and the RP community, specifically the RP that takes place on these forums in Treasure Island. Frankly, most RP'ers are RP forum isolationists, but fairly active on our TSPRP discord and few gamesiders or even other forum users dwell on ours. I think the rift happened with consecutive MoC's eroding their relations with the forum RP community and it hasn't been addressed properly, which I hope will change with the next MoC.

I was wondering what your vision of supporting this community consists of and how you'd help build bridges to expose what each side of the over-encompassing RP community has to offer? In other terms, how do you wish to combat the seclusion that has happened over the past couple of years?
I do have to say that the inter-regional Olympics event could be a boon for RP'ers from both regions and sounds promising! It could help to also expose gamesiders with other RP'ers to work together and get to know each other. Communication between the two groups is key to change I believe. Such an inter-regional Olympics could be indeed a catalyst as forum RP's include rugby & football competition.
Pacifica: MyriaSallodesia, Stoinia • A1-0: Stoinian Star Kingdom • Aurora: Kingdom of Threnebor
[-] The following 2 users Like Maverick's post:
  • A bee, GI-Land

(08-03-2022, 05:42 AM)Murelia Wrote: That is a nice idea, though things might have changed since the last time you where here since we now have an activity almost every day. Will you add a single weekly event with a changing curator or do you have a different way of doing this plan?

My original intention is to have a new curator each week with an event of their choosing to host. It would allow them the opportunity to test and vet ideas in real world usage, and hopefully give them the confidence to run things on their own as a part of a larger forum, such as an inter-regional culture event.

(08-03-2022, 05:42 AM)Murelia Wrote: This is a good idea, though recruiting people isn't that easy. Do you have any ideas of your own on how to get more people in MoC?

The Ministry of Culture does not deal directly with recruitment, therefore this question must be answered with direct collaboration with the Ministry of Engagement. An old program that we once ran was the Fellowship Programme, which was a success for as long as the Ministry was intrinsically dedicated to supporting it. Long-term, it obviously fell out of use but to bring it back is certainly an avenue I’d like to explore with Minister Griffindor.

(08-03-2022, 08:03 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: Secondly, I have a question, or two for you. I love this idea about a major-interregional Olympics. But, as of right now on gameside NS, there is a nation named A Place Somewhere who holds the "TSP Olympics." They have an alt account which pulls all of the strings, gets some nations to make Olympic teams, and then uses online simulators to compete. As a nation who participates in TSP Olympics, I totally love it (that also may be because I got 2nd place overall ^^, but). If elected, would you be open to working with A Place Somewhere on created these "Aegis Accords Olympics?" Or would you keep them to administrating the regional Olympics? Would you work with them in general?

I must apologise, I made a poor choice in describing the event I am talking about as an “Olympics”. The particular brand of RP Olympics you are talking about was not my original intention, rather, I’m speaking more to something like the NationStates World Fair, or similar in style to the South Pacific Regional Games, both of which had their heyday in the mid-2010’s. An inter-regional cultural event, with games and various activities to interact with our friends across regions. I would not be opposed to working with anyone to further the culture of our region, but that would require a more in-depth discussion with the individual or individuals in question to see how we can accomplish that.

(08-03-2022, 05:20 PM)Maverick Wrote: I was wondering what your vision of supporting this community consists of and how you'd help build bridges to expose what each side of the over-encompassing RP community has to offer? In other terms, how do you wish to combat the seclusion that has happened over the past couple of years?

These are legitimate concerns, but I must confess that I did not include a section regarding Roleplay due to my own ignorance of the issues facing the Roleplay community. I joined the South Pacific after an extended absence and then promptly went on vacation to New Zealand before this election, so I did not afford the opportunity to connect with the community that was my first in NationStates.

However, I can speak to the immediate actions I would take. I firmly believe that the Roleplay community is one of the best measures of a region’s cultural activity, owing to the incredible work and talent that gets expressed on a regular basis in Treasure Island. I’d love to host a meeting, on Discord or on the forums, with the members of our Roleplay community to really listen to specific issues they have and see what solutions the Ministry or I can provide, or fight for in various means.

If there is a real desire to have an inter-regional RP Olympics, then I’ll do everything I can to make it happen. I don’t know if it still happens, but there used to be a huge scene on the NS forums with the Olympic simulator, with dozens of participants. Aside from the time commitment, I see no reason why we couldn’t make that happen for our region, and our friends and allies.
ProfessorHenn
Legislator
[-] The following 3 users Like ProfessorHenn's post:
  • maluhia, Maverick, Murelia