We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Place to Argue Over RP Stuff

There has been a lot of arguing over one-liners and godmodding these days. So I've decided to make a thread where people can argue as much as they want about these and other subjects.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

It should not happen. Period.

Godmodding is considered bad taste everywhere, because how fun is it to be RPing with someone who'll defeat you every time? It gets you banned from many communities, as well.

One-liners are generally less bannable, but still frowned upon. RPing is meant to be given thought, and should be fun to read for anybody. One sentence responses are not fun to read. If you're unable to give a full response, post anyway, but also say in an OOC context that you'll fill in the rest when you can.

My 2 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, godmodding is a load of crap. But sometimes it happens by accident, or someone else draws you in.

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

Yes godmodding is no fun, but one liners are fine. There are somethings that are best with just one line and sometimes you can only write one line. Most of the most famous quotes are one line so one liners are fine.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

I agree. Plus you can't exactly type up a five page essay on a smartphone.

(01-04-2015, 11:43 AM)Punchwood Wrote: Most of the most famous quotes are one line so one liners are fine.

Truth,
One line's are normal. Since not everyone has the time to make 10 Line posts for rps

. . .

Kris Kringle Wrote:Remember that roleplaying is all about telling a story, so you need to explain what your character did, how they felt about it, what their responses were, how they communicated those responses. One-line posts aren't enough.

If I wanted to Roleplay with One-Liners, I'd do a Roleplay on IRC.

I understand I do One-liners too, bad habits die hard, but you need to give it thought. Make it fun to read for everybody. Else, I could call it an IRC RP, dress it up nicely, and no one would know the difference.

One liners are poor RP etiquette, and widely associated with poorly written goddmodded RPs. You don't need to write an essay, but try to give a few sentences. Add some description of what's going on, explain what's going on, give some emotion besides a robotic statement, add personality to your character and include several characters instead of one all-powerful leader. The difference between a good RP people want to read and a bad RP is detail; that's what keeps things interesting.

The reason you have those great quotes that are one-liners is not because one a simple one line post, but because you have one that truly stands out, delivering the punch of a dialogue or giving a line that makes an amazing scene truly memorable.

Who says one liners aren't fun? Ever hear of one line paragraph? The best part in any book, so in response to Kris saying you are writing a story, we are adding in dramatic tension. Also the fact something can only be said in one line.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice