We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Citizen Recruitment and Mentorship

I mentioned in a previous post that we were going to be implementing a Companion Programme. The objective of that would be to have experienced fellows mentor newcomers and offer help during their first weeks in the region. In here I want to have a discussion and sign ups:

1. You can sign up for the Companion Programme. While we still would need to decide on what the exact responsibilities of Companions would be, the basic idea would be to explain to newcomers how things work, answer any questions that they might have and try to get them more involved in the region.

2. Discuss what we could do to encourage residents to apply for citizenship or at least to sign up for the Fellowship Programme. The idea here is to get more people interested in what happens in the region and willing to do their part and help in our regional community. Perhaps we should have a team for that? Perhaps this should be a common duty for the entire staff? Let's discuss that.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I would be glad to help out. I think anyone who wants to do this should but I don't think everyone would want to do this so I wouldn't see everyone should have to do it.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

Good to see you helping!

(01-07-2015, 04:49 PM)Punchwood Wrote: I think anyone who wants to do this should but I don't think everyone would want to do this so I wouldn't see everyone should have to do it.

Uh...what?
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I pretty much try to do this anyway, helping answer questions on the rmb for example, so put me down as a probable. Will confirm once the exact details are ironed out.

Whenever I see old forum threads about mentorship I see that the ones organising it were complicating themselves, since they tried to have mentors constantly teaching the newcomer and explaining everything. What I want to do this time is different, hence my use of the term Companion, as opposed to mentor.

Instead of constantly teaching newcomers, what I want is to give them a contact, someone that they know they can ask questions or ask them to get in touch with other people. Being new in the region can be overwhelming and confusing, so knowing that there is someone ready to help them.

Obviously you would have to explain some things every now and them and be interested in how they are doing, but I'm not focusing on a teacher-student relationship, but rather in a friend-friend relationship.

I don't know if this explains a bit more how I see the Companion Programme?

Legal Resources:

(01-07-2015, 06:13 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Uh...what?
You said do you think it should be a team or the whole Ministry who should do this. I think anyone who wants to help out here should be allowed to, and anyone that doesn't want to help here shouldn't have to.    
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

I don't know that I'm qualified yet myself to be a companion, but it's a good idea.

Do we ever send out mass TGs suggesting that people join the region? RMB posts?

I am in support of this. I do like the approach you're thinking of, Kris. Being a friend will seem more cordial and outreaching to a member than being a teacher. So that's an excellent perspective to look at it. I am willing to become a Companion if needed as I would be happy to help with this project.

~ Tomb
Loyal Citizen of The South Pacific
Captain, The North Pacific Army

Former positions - TNP:
Deputy Minister of Home Affairs, Election Commissioner, Deputy Minister of Communications, Minister of Home Affairs, Minister of WA Affairs, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Communications, and Former Delegate of The North Pacific.

I'm up for this too if you think I'm qualified to do this.

This is a very good idea. Well done, Kris!
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)