We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Great Council Procedures

Alright. So, as this Great Council swings into it's full unweilding-ness, I want think we should place some parameters on future Great Councils.

As it's currently structured, there are no restrictions on how a Great Council is called, set up or run. As such, there is a lot of room was misuse and/or as a means to simply circumvent the legislative landscape. I find that both unacceptable and a potential security risk.

As such, I'd like to add the following:

Quote:Article 10: Amendments

1. This Charter may be amended as needed in accordance with Article 3.
2. All Citizens have the right to request a Great Council for a review of the entire Charter, Bill of Rights, and Code of Laws. A Great Council may only be called once every six months.
3. Legal changes resulting from the Great Council shall meet current legislative requirements.

As such, one wouldn't be able to call a Great Council and push massive changes to the charter with minimal support.

My legalese is probably not great, but I hope we can agree that something along these lines would be a positive step toward ensuring our system isn't open to manipulation.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I actually agree with the need to subject changes to normal legislative procedure. But in view of that, what is the difference between a GC and, say, people coming up with numerous changes to the law, or proposing an entirely new Charter in the Assembly?

I guess my question is, what differentiates a Great Council from normal Assembly business?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

In full agreement with Tsu on this.

I remember during my term legislation was created that was meant to prevent certain people from being citizens\members of the region and I was in panic mode because of what it would entail. It also moved quite quickly without much thought to repercussions.

Legislation needs to be well-thought out and given time to be discussed, considered (especially long term consequences) and then brought to the voting arena.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

I do think formal procedures would be nice. I'm not sure that removing any real distinction between a Great Council and just amending the Charter is a good idea, though. There's some value in having a GC be a "constitutional free-for-all." I would never have proposed demilitarization outside of the GC, for example. Having it be this unwieldy and being able to change things radically with a simple majority is also a check on it being called too often, I think. I know I've seen it as the "nuclear option" in TSP, where if called at the right or wrong time, I may not like the outcome.

Did you intend for this idea to have GCs literally copying normal Assembly amendment procedure? Like with the percentage thresholds and everything?

My view of a GC is it follows normal legislative procedure. The purpose of a GC is that it's a "legislative party". An event. These kinds of moments inspire people to leap into brave new changes. You don't need different procedure to facilitate that. You just need to change the setting. The tone. And, voilà, we talk reform. People are weird.

(01-24-2015, 02:26 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I actually agree with the need to subject changes to normal legislative procedure. But in view of that, what is the difference between a GC and, say, people coming up with numerous changes to the law, or proposing an entirely new Charter in the Assembly?

I guess my question is, what differentiates a Great Council from normal Assembly business?

For me, the advantage of the Great Council was I felt encouraged as a new nation to participate in putting forward proposals that in the normal setting. It's a West Wing 'Big Block of Cheese' thing.  :hehe!:  I honestly don't think I would have felt comfortable proposing changes to the Charter etc in normal circumstances.  

I also think clearly defined structure on the rules along assembly procedure lines are vital, so I would support codifying the procedures for it. Not least because currently the Delegate and Assembly Chair are put in quite an awkward position at times. On a personal note, it would stop the 'wtf' moment I had when initially told there would be an extension.

The point of a GC has always been to pursue fundemental constitutional change, unlike normal assembly business.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(01-24-2015, 05:08 PM)Unibot Wrote: My view of a GC is it follows normal legislative procedure. The purpose of a GC is that it's a "legislative party". An event. These kinds of moments inspire people to leap into brave new changes. You don't need different procedure to facilitate that. You just need to change the setting. The tone. And, voilà, we talk reform. People are weird.

There are things I imagine people wouldn't propose if they needed 75% agreement, rather than a simple majority. That's a big part of GCs, I think.

Last time I checked GC's still needed 75% to ammend the Charter.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Hopolis, I'm so glad you feel confident and wanted to make changes! Welcome!

I love the idea of really examining our constitution and finding ways to improve it or alter it. However, due to previous experiences already alluded to I'm wary of not giving people enough time to discuss and debate. If we're making these radical changes then we need to be able to discuss and an extension is helpful. Glenn, for example, has been a wonderful CoA in the past and very knowledgeable about writing legislation and improving it. I would hate to think that he didn't get a chance to get his thoughts out because of a few minutes delay.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest