We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A New Beginning - Farengeto for CoA

I'm no good with long-winded speeches so I'll try to keep this short.

This has been a long and stressful term for everyone. We've had some good moments, and more than our share of bad ones. As the Chief Justice I've been in the middle of many of the numerous conflicts that have shaken TSP and have come to the realization that changes must be made.

My greatest concern remains the current climate that has gripped TSP in recent weeks. We find ourselves in a period in which we are isolating ourselves from the outside, and looking upon members of foreign regions with paranoia and mistrust. While some of these fears may be justified we must not allow ourselves to close our region on fears of old, forgiven acts.

Having been forced to deal with the utterly deplorable state of our courts firsthand over the past six months, it is my first priority to advance the issue of our courts that has been worked on with mixed success for the past month. Many of our reforms have shown themselves to be symbolic or even improving one area while worsening another; as with the changes to criminal code which virtually removed our penal code. I intend to work with the both current and incoming Chair and Justices push for what the Charter of the High Court failed to do: a proper judicial reform to create a court that works in practice, not just in theory.

I intend to revisit the assembly voting process: reviewing voting periods, times and percentages to make the process more fair and accessible, and looking for ways to make the votes and what they change more noticeable. Noticing the Charter's extremely liberal usage of "may", I seek to improve the language of many of those clause to better enforce the certainty of action.
That's all for now, as usual please feel free to leave comments and questions below and I'll respond as soon as possible. 

What qualifications do you believe a good Chair should have and how do they fall in line with your own qualifications?

If you were the Chair for the last term what would you have done differently?

1. Do you think it will be easier to effect judicial reform as a Chair of Assembly?
2. What do you think is the key difficulty in having a working court system in TSP?
3. What experience do you have that makes you a strong CoA?

Can you explicitly state, what you mean by this:

"My greatest concern remains the current climate that has gripped TSP in recent weeks. We find ourselves in a period in which we are isolating ourselves from the outside, and looking upon members of foreign regions with paranoia and mistrust. While some of these fears may be justified we must not allow ourselves to close our region on fears of old, forgiven acts."

For example, would you overturn the cabinet's recent security risk declaration?

Where do you stand on the cabinet's security risk declaration?

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(03-16-2015, 04:08 PM)Hileville Wrote: What qualifications do you believe a good Chair should have and how do they fall in line with your own qualifications?

If you were the Chair for the last term what would you have done differently?

In my opinion the most important traits are objectivity, appropriately managing the affairs of the assembly without regard to content of the discussion nor the users involved with it, and being consistent and reliably, keeping the assembly running efficiently and smoothly. The first is apparent from my term as Justice, while the second is a little more difficult to show.

One moment in particular I would have done differently is the Great Council. While the plan seemed great the lack of an organized and planned approach to the focus of the Great Council caused it to devolve into several independent efforts that ultimately failed to achieve a successful proposal, the first similar proposal not passed until weeks after the already greatly extended Great Council.

(03-16-2015, 09:21 PM)Escade Wrote: 1. Do you think it will be easier to effect judicial reform as a Chair of Assembly?
2. What do you think is the key difficulty in having a working court system in TSP?
3. What experience do you have that makes you a strong CoA?

Can you explicitly state, what you mean by this:

"My greatest concern remains the current climate that has gripped TSP in recent weeks. We find ourselves in a period in which we are isolating ourselves from the outside, and looking upon members of foreign regions with paranoia and mistrust. While some of these fears may be justified we must not allow ourselves to close our region on fears of old, forgiven acts."

Where do you stand on the cabinet's security risk declaration?

As Chair of the Assembly I can better move the discussion through the assembly, and I will be able to better discuss the issue with the cabinet as well as the court helping aid in creating a proposal both branch can support unlike last time.

The biggest issue would have to be trust. We've consistently seen the use of alternative methods rather than our courts to serve "justice". Perhaps its a mistrust of the system, maybe its paranoia over Belschaft's legacy in the courts, whatever the reason the courts find themselves misused. The other issue that arises is whether the system works in practice. Many might have said the courts were fine up until lately, when we run into issues like massive ambiguities or a complete lack of any provisions or procedure in important areas now.

I've spent the past nearly six months having to learn, understand and interpret our laws, and uncover its many flaws. If I could, I would render the Court's legal questions virtually unnecessary. Fixing them is one of my top priorities, and I hope to use my experiences to assist in creating a more clear and solid charter.

1. What qualities or strength does you opponent in this election have that you would want to emulate?
2. Based on you non-answer to a question about a political party that you organized should I assume that you intend to overturn the security risk declaration that the cabinet and majority of the Assembly voted for?

Here is the original question:

"Can you explicitly state, what you mean by this:

Where do you stand on the cabinet's security risk declaration?"

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(03-18-2015, 09:08 AM)Escade Wrote: 1. What qualities or strength does you opponent in this election have that you would want to emulate?
2. Based on you non-answer to a question about a political party that you organized should I assume that you intend to overturn the security risk declaration that the cabinet and majority of the Assembly voted for?

Here is the original question:

"Can you explicitly state, what you mean by this:

Where do you stand on the cabinet's security risk declaration?"

My apologies, I was sure I answered that question before. While I do not pretend the justifications are illegitimate I believe that we are being overly paranoid with many of them, using fears of incidents such as OBLT and a fear of Belschaft in general to justify isolation as well as neglecting our foreign affairs.  Whether I am elected or not I intend to press for revisiting of some of these cases and the reform of citizenship appeals to a more democratic margin. For instance, compiling the results of the Table of Assembly votes we find that there have only been a mere 6 votes in the past year with 24 or more non-abstentions; the amount required to overturn a cabinet voting block.
[Image: RS0PLuj.png]
While the average activity has been rising over the past year it is still only rare that we get the necessary participation.

As for the strengths of our incumbent CoA, he has shown a strong dedication to his work over the past eight months and I hope that I will be able to fulfil my duties to a similar standard.