We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Judicial Elections Amendment

When we passed judicial reform, we never specified the electoral rules for judicial elections. I propose that we codify the method just used by the Election Commission, which went smoothly and didn't have any serious problems.

Article 1, Section 10 of the Code of Laws would amended as such:

"10. All other elected offices Cabinet offices will be voted on separately and be elected by a plurality vote. Court Justices will be voted through a single ballot, with the three candidates who receive the most votes winning seats."

Article 2, Section 11 of the Code of Laws would be amended:

"11. In all elections an option to re-open nominations will be included. For non-judicial elections, if this option receives the most votes the nomination period for that office will be restarted."

An additional section - Article 2, Section 12 - would be added, with all other sections being renumbered appropriately:

"12. For Court Justice elections, if the option to Re-Open Nominations receives enough votes to be placed within the top three, then the nomination period will be restarted for all seats with lesser votes than this option. The candidates who receive the top votes will win however many seats are left to be filled."

----------

Thoughts? Different ideas?

No issues whatsoever; you beat me to it by about three hours.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Forgive me if I sound like an idiot...but is there a reason to add the note about court justice elections as section 12, but mention procedures for non-court justice elections in section 11?
~Lady Elaine Elysium

Elysian Pastures

It was all one section. But I decided to split it up to keep it in line with other sections, in terms of length. Truth be told, I would rather split the entire Elections article into two separate articles, one for Delegate/Cabinet and the other for High Court.

I'm in favor of that idea actually. I think it would make more sense that way.

But if we're looking for a quick fix, and can consider amending the entire thing later...then I'm in favor of the proposed changes above.
~Lady Elaine Elysium

Elysian Pastures

This looks good to me. Clarification there is definitely a good thing.
Delegate of Spiritus
Vice Secretary-General of the World Assembly

"When you are the potatoes guy everyone is like, 'Yeah, it's the potatoes guy!'" - Max Barry

Looks good to me.
Oh for God's sake, TSP STANDS!
-TSP Doctor

No objections from me.

(04-22-2014, 05:40 PM)Sandaoguo Wrote: It was all one section. But I decided to split it up to keep it in line with other sections, in terms of length. Truth be told, I would rather split the entire Elections article into two separate articles, one for Delegate/Cabinet and the other for High Court.
(04-22-2014, 05:43 PM)LadyElysium Wrote: I'm in favor of that idea actually. I think it would make more sense that way.

But if we're looking for a quick fix, and can consider amending the entire thing later...then I'm in favor of the proposed changes above.

Im all for this. It is terribly needed. Im extremely inclined to splitting it into two sections. But there really isnt a point to "quick fix" this if we have some support for splitting. Ill see what I can do about drafting something up this afternoon/evening.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

This seems a sensible amendment.