We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Alisa for Minister of the Army

Hi everyone! Many of you don't know who I am, so I figured I'd just introduce myself again at the beginning of my campaign speech. My name is Alisa and I've just recently started playing NationStates again. I was on here for a short while many years ago when I was still in high school but real-life constraints forced me to quit. Now that these busy things have passed, I hope to be playing for much longer since I'm really enjoying my time here! Currently, I am a Sòlda Ansyen of the SPSF and the World Assembly Advisor for TSP.

Since I am a new face around, I've been graced with the opportunity to observe the workings of the South Pacific Special Forces a bit as an outsider integrating herself into the organization. Although the current chain of command has done a wonderful job, one of the life morals I live by is that everything can be improved upon, no matter how seemingly perfect it may be. The following aspects of the SPSF that I've noticed to need improvement form the bulwark of my campaign: training and transparency.

Training
Training is possibly the most important aspect to the development of a proficient and capable soldier. Not only do soldiers need to know how to admit a nation into the World Assembly and move to a region when a "go" is given, they should also possess a reasonable understanding about game mechanics and how updates work. When I first joined the SPSF, I had an extremely limited knowledge on these such things and there were few resources I could turn to for assistance. Following the studying of various extensive military guides on the gameplay forums, I have become satisfactorily adept at updates, both in switching and in command as timekeeper. Within only a couple of days, my skill level and understanding had surpassed those of soldiers higher on the seniority chart. Since many SPSF recruits do not have the time in their schedules to investigate or educate themselves in the military discipline, I am concerned that their knowledge and thus, their proficiency, as SPSF soldiers will be lacking and will stay that way.

Without giving away too much information about my plans, I can say that I will be initiating a mentor program to the Special Forces and reforming the rank structure. The mentor program will ensure that no recruit will feel like they are missing something or do not know what to do. An experienced and competent officer will be assigned to mentor a recruit one-on-one and will stay as their mentor as the recruit continues his or her career in the SPSF. As part of this training program, there will be both theoretical and hands-on tests to assess both the recruit's proficiency in the military and the officer's ability to convey his or her skills effectively and efficiently, as well as officer examinations to determine leadership potential. The current rank structure focuses on how many missions each soldier has completed to be promoted. Although the number of missions completed can show time and dedication to the SPSF, it fails to discover the aforementioned communication skills and leadership potential, as well as other essential skills such as timekeeping, switching, and being occupation point. Under the new rank structure, promotions will be handed out for both missions, the ability to lead others, and the understanding of gameplay mechanics (through the use of theoretical and hands-on tests as mentioned above).

I have found that the question of whether the SPSF should raid or defend is an issue that often comes up. It is my belief that, instead of focusing on either one too much, a well-rounded military like ours should act in the interests of promoting The South Pacific's agenda abroad and making the military experience fun for all our soldiers involved. I am certainly glad that many detags were completed following several raiding operations, and I'm also glad that our SPSF soldiers are as willing to do one as the other.

Transparency
I have observed a severe disconnect between the South Pacific Special Forces and both the forum and gameside communities. As demonstrated by the poll conducted by the Lower Council earlier as noted on the SPSF report, many people have no idea what the SPSF has done or why it is even relevant. To solve this problem, I will be appointing an active soldier to serve as the SPSF's gameside liaison. This liaison will be in charge of maintaining SPSF dispatches and promoting the military through active discussion on the Regional Message Board. Both the liaison and myself will serve as the go-to people if potential recruits have any questions with getting involved in the SPSF. For the forum community, I plan on creating standardized, timely operational reports that will be both accurate and concise on the subject of SPSF missions.

I have also read that membership in the SPSF has grown tremendously over the course of Minister Henn's term. However, with the help of the gameside liaison and extended transparency, I hope to increase the SPSF recruitment rate and numbers. Combined with the new mentor program, the Special Forces will be seeing unprecedented activity and proficiency levels.

Communication among the SPSF itself remains problematic with little conveyance of information between the command and regular soldiers. Just a couple days ago, one SPSF soldier missed out on an operation due to this lack of communication. As Minister of the Army, I will endeavor to keep communication among the command and General corps a high priority, which in turn, will keep the main body of the SPSF  well-informed and educated on operational details through channels such as gameside telegrams, forum PM's, and IRC.

Although I am at a slight disadvantage from my fellow candidates due to a lack of establishment in TSP, I hope that the goals I've outlined above and my service so far can outweigh this drawback and can show my commitment to the region. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Alisa
A Lovely Insane Sòlda Mèt 

Sòlda Mèt of the South Pacific Special Forces
Former World Assembly Advisor

Would you keep the naming system I have put into place?

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a practical structure I'm willing to keep. Smile

I am very impressed with this campaign. For someone who has only been here for a few days, you seem to have a good graps of what kind of management our military needs. I only have two questions, for now:

(07-15-2015, 06:17 PM)Alisa Wrote: It is my belief that, instead of focusing on either one too much, a well-rounded military like ours should act in the interests of promoting The South Pacific's agenda abroad[/align]

How would that be implemented in practice? Meaning, what would that agenda be?

2. We currently have two Generals, but we need a third. Who would you nominate, if anyone at all?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

A very positive campaign with clear goals.

(07-15-2015, 07:52 PM)Hopolis Wrote: A very positive campaign with clear goals.

Well, she is A Lovely Insane Soldà Ansyen.

~Professor Henn, Hardcore Leftist, Totally not a Dinosaur

(07-15-2015, 07:23 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: 1.
(07-15-2015, 06:17 PM)Alisa Wrote: It is my belief that, instead of focusing on either one too much, a well-rounded military like ours should act in the interests of promoting The South Pacific's agenda abroad

How would that be implemented in practice? Meaning, what would that agenda be?

Ideally, this agenda would be to defend The South Pacific against threats, maintain a well-trained military, and assist our allies whenever they require foreign help. There was recently some discontent among a couple SPSF members on supporting the Osiris delegacy transition. I said the following in regard to the subject:
Quote:A GCR military, as I have learned in years past, promotes the region's interests and agenda while maintaining a fun level of activity. Osiris (that's a new region to me) has a newly-elected Pharaoh waiting to take the delegacy. It is indeed standard procedure to assist in GCR transitions; moreover, to assist our friends and allies when they request help.

(07-15-2015, 07:23 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: 2. We currently have two Generals, but we need a third. Who would you nominate, if anyone at all?
Although I'm hesitant to make "promises" before I've been elected, two members of the SPSF have caught my eye so far. Siberian Districts shows a great level of reliability and proficiency in update operations. He's been of great assistance to me during our recent detag missions. The other one is Hammerstar. Even though he's relatively new to military gameplay, he's shown great promise in his eagerness to learn. It was just last major update where I taught Hammer how to switch and he caught on very quickly.

(07-15-2015, 07:52 PM)Hopolis Wrote: A very positive campaign with clear goals.
Thank you for your kind words! Smile

If you were elected to Minister of the Army, would you add Cookies to the menu in the Mess Hall?
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

How would you specifically handle differences of opinions between you and the MoFA on how the Army should support/implement Foreign Policy?

What is the most important thing an Army needs?

(07-16-2015, 12:53 PM)FederationOfTheRK Wrote: If you were elected to Minister of the Army, would you add Cookies to the menu in the Mess Hall?
*checks*
Nobody has added them yet?!
*grabs Henn by the ear and prods him to buy cookie dough*

(07-16-2015, 01:21 PM)Hileville Wrote: How would you specifically handle differences of opinions between you and the MoFA on how the Army should support/implement Foreign Policy?

What is the most important thing an Army needs?
The military should serve as an extension of Foreign Affairs, and thus, the entire TSP. Whether it be supporting an treaty ally's operation, helping a friendly GCR's delegate transition, or liberating a friend in need, the SPSF should be utilized to enhance and expand foreign policy. While I can loosely say that Foreign Affairs is the decision-maker and the SPSF the executor, both the MoFA and the MoA will be required to work together to make things work. In the case of a difference of opinion, there is always a compromise that benefits both parties and the region as a whole.

I'd consider training to be the most vital aspect of what a military needs. Numbers comes a close second, but a large group of inexperienced individuals is many magnitudes less effective than a smaller, more cohesive organization of reliable and proficient soldiers. The term "Special Forces" has been historically used to describe highly-trained military units and distinguish them from the regular army. I'm not saying that recruitment is unimportant (it's the way to sustain a military); however, I can say that the mentor program will definitely bolster the competency of the SPSF.