We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Discussion: Appointed Cabinet

I would like to bring up  a few discussions to move this Great Council along and ensure that we have some activity in it.

The first idea I wanted to bring up was an appointed cabinet.  The idea would be to move from an elected Cabinet to one appointed by the Delegate.  This is very common in NS and would be a change from status quo here.  I think this could be beneficial in a greater re-balancing of powers equally between the 3 branches of Government.

So how would this look?

Well the Delegate would have the ability to appoint their Cabinet with Legislative approval.  
The appointed Cabinet would serve at the pleasure of the Delegate.
The Delegate and Vice Delegate would still be elected to Office but would make for this particular election to be a lot more competitive.
We could either stay with 3 elections a year for Delegate or we could move back to a Challenge system with the major difference being a guaranteed election every 6 months.

Anyway, I am bringing this up for discussion and haven't written anything formally as this would likely involve a pretty in-depth re-write of the Charter and Laws.

Probably un-suprisingly, I'm against this idea. The fact that we elect all of our positions has been integral to TSP. And while it gives us heartburn time to time, I'll stand behind it.

I *would* be willing to entertain the idea of shifting MoFA to an appointed position -- but I wouldn't support anything more.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(10-18-2015, 09:27 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Probably un-suprisingly, I'm against this idea. The fact that we elect all of our positions has been integral to TSP. And while it gives us heartburn time to time, I'll stand behind it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I think an elected Cabinet has indeed been integral to how TSP has been run. But I also believe that an elected Cabinet creates a bigger risk of having a rogue Delegate. Our system really doesn't give all that many powers to the Delegate. The Delegate really doesn't have the ability to set Foreign, Military, or Regional policy. Traditionally, this hasn't mattered all that much as the Cabinet has almost always stuck with not making major decisions without first voting on it. But that truly isn't the way the law is written for most things.

That's fair. In some ways, it does date back to when there head of state was separate from the delegate. My concern is that such a system would limit getting new players involved and also make things more divided.

I would be more inclined to allow an appointed MoFA since that's what most other regions do. Not that I think we need to follow others ... but it more probably make dealing with us earlier for our allies.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(10-18-2015, 09:27 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Probably un-suprisingly, I'm against this idea. The fact that we elect all of our positions has been integral to TSP. And while it gives us heartburn time to time, I'll stand behind it.

I *would* be willing to entertain the idea of shifting MoFA to an appointed position -- but I wouldn't support anything more.
This.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

I think this is presupposing that it's the Delegate that should matter all that much. What's wrong with having our Delegate not control foreign affairs? Or military affairs? If the law isn't written to empower the whole Cabinet, why not rewrite the law instead?

I don't think the Delegate is always the right person to control so many things. We have had Delegates in the past who didn't know anything about foreign affairs. Or just weren't interested at all.

^

And we had Milograd. Think about it.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

I'm firmly against this. An appointed minister of army could completely wreck any progress the SPSF would be making. If a defender Delegate appoints a defender MoA and the next term a raider Delegate (who'll be appointing a raider MoA) would completely throw us in a 180°. So no thanks to that.
SibDis

Hileville, did you have a developed text for this, or have you abandoned this proposal?

I'm not interested in pursuing this any further.