We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Kicking CoA out of Cabinet

Sorry Farengeto...

I know this has been brought up before (I believe I was the one to bring it up) but do we really need the Chair of the Assembly in the Cabinet?  It is a legislative position that is made to be a lot more political by being in the Cabinet.  I think we have had great Chairs in the past and input we receive from them is good but it just doesn't fit.  I'd also go as far as saying that I don't believe I would have become Delegate if I wasn't in the Cabinet as Chair but again it doesn't fit.

The Chair of the Assembly is tasked with guiding and keeping order in our Assembly.  Why do we also give them powers over the Executive? 

I think having the Chair in the Cabinet is a big reason we have such muddied separation of powers.  I believe we seriously need to consider removing the Chair from the Cabinet.  I'd also go further and say that once that happens the Chair should be responsible for admitting Citizens into the region with the Cabinet having the ability to block an admittance.

What about non-voting powers in the Cabinet? Someone should we tasked working as a liaison, no?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Do we really need a liaison? I don't know what purpose having a legislative liaison does. In theory having someone to write laws and such for the Cabinet is a great idea but the Cabinet is usually involved in the Assembly anyway.

Funny story, Farengeto, myself and Feir actually had this discussion some time ago. I won't be opposed to leaving the CoA out

I wouldn't be opposed to removing the CoA from the Cabinet, or at least reducing their powers.

(10-18-2015, 10:19 PM)Awe Wrote: Funny story,  Farengeto, myself and Feir actually had this discussion some time ago. I won't be opposed to leaving the CoA out

I think that might have been my discussion on an appointed CoA.

I want to defend myself here but my sleep deprived brain has no defence. Best I can come up with is an observer role in Cabinet for communication and coordination purposes.

I would like to bring up the proposal of an appointed CoA though. From personal experience CoA elections are a close second to Justice elections in how terrible they are. All politics instead of merit. My job is to manage the votes and debates on laws, not write them.

(10-19-2015, 02:42 AM)Farengeto Wrote:
(10-18-2015, 10:19 PM)Awe Wrote: Funny story,  Farengeto, myself and Feir actually had this discussion some time ago. I won't be opposed to leaving the CoA out

I think that might have been my discussion on an appointed CoA.

I want to defend myself here but my sleep deprived brain has no defence. Best I can come up with is an observer role in Cabinet for communication and coordination purposes.

I would like to bring up the proposal of an appointed CoA though. From personal experience CoA elections are a close second to Justice elections in how terrible they are. All politics instead of merit. My job is to manage the votes and debates on laws, not write them.

Yep, that's the one I was referring to.

In recent memory, I don't ever recall the CoA writing laws. Though I don't see the point why the CoA would need any status in Cabinet either. The Cabinet could well propose its own bills, if it so desires.

I think if the CoA needs anything, it's more on the administrative side of things, ie new sub forums and stuff, that falls under the purview of the admin team, not the Cabinet

The Chair is a legislative position. Legislative positions should be elected.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

It's an administrative position, much like the Justices. What qualities can you run as for CoA? Activity? A desire to organize the law archive? Ability to put things to vote?

Wait. No one is suggesting the CoA should be appointed. Just that they shouldn't be part of the Cabinet.

I'd say that there is stuff you can argue for regarding politics. What you support. How you see the role. Etc. This is different than a justice position.

At the same time, I'd say that the CoA is — or should be — the voice of the legislature in the Cabinet. Granted, it's often the Cabinet collectively comes to push legislation, but things like treaties, war, etc. it might be good to have a legislative input.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]