We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Appointed Cabinet

Here is a rough draft of a Charter Amendment that would move us from an elected Cabinet to an appointed Cabinet.  This would solve everyone's favorite problem of having Special Elections as the Delegate would be responsible for the appointment of the Cabinet.  It is a change from the norm here in TSP but I do believe it is worth giving a shot.  While we are unique in that we have a fully elected Cabinet I do believe it allows for serious disagreements between members of that Cabinet.  The best way to implement this would be at the Start of the next term.  We could also have a two phase implementation.  Meaning that if a Cabinet members resigns or is recalled this term that the Delegate would be appoint someone to fill the rest of the term.  With a fully appointed Cabinet at the next election.

I do believe by moving to this system we will create a much more competitive environment for the positions that we still elect.  Delegate and Chair of the Assembly.

I should also note that I have been blessed with an awesome Cabinet this term.  So this really has nothing to do with them.

Article 5:  Executive

Section 1 - The Delegate and Vice Delegate
1.  The Delegate will serve as Head of State and Government of the South Pacific.
2.  The Delegate may implement policies regarding regional message board adverts and spam and expel recruiters for violating those policies.
3.  The Delegate is responsible for making sure all nations abide by the Endorsement Cap as established and enforced by the Committee for State Security.
4.  The Delegate may eject nations when permitted by the Charter and Code of Laws.
5.  With the majority approval of the Committee for State Security taken by a vote, the Delegate may declare a State of Emergency with reasonable justification that a threat to regional security is imminent, subjected to provisions granted by Article 6, Section 3 of the Charter.
6.  The Vice Delegate will hold the second highest amount of endorsements in the region at any given time.
7.  The Vice Delegate will be responsible for reviewing Citizenship Applications.
8.  In the event that the Delegate resigns, is recalled, or otherwise unable to carry out their duties the Vice Delegate will immediately assume the Office of the Delegate.
9.  The procedures for the election of the Delegate and Vice Delegate shall be defined in Law.

Section 2 - Cabinet of the South Pacific
1.  The Delegate will appoint citizens to serve as members of the Cabinet of the South Pacific.
2.  The Delegate must appoint a Minister of Foreign Affairs and a Minister of the Army.  The Delegate will have the ability to staff and create other Ministries.
3.  Each appointed Minister will be considered a Senior Cabinet Official and serve at the pleasure of the Delegate.  Each Senior Official may appoint Deputies who serve at the pleasure of the respective Minister.
4.  The Delegate must present the appointments of all Senior Cabinet Officials to the Assembly to be approved via a majority vote.

You missed Minister of Regional Affairs. But I'm all for an appointed cabinet

I would support this, if paired with a decrease in the term length from 4 months to 3 months. I don't think we need as long of terms as we have, in my experience in the Cabinet. The Delegate would have significantly more power, so that should be tempered with more accountability.

Hm, I could support a reduced term length in exchange for the above.

I am not 100% against this but I am currently against it. I don't see the point in it as things are find as it is, plus in the last Great Council were did vote against this.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

(01-13-2016, 02:35 PM)Punchwood Wrote: I am not 100% against this but I am currently against it. I don't see the point in it as things are find as it is, plus in the last Great Council were did vote against this.

No we didn't. It never went past a simple discussion. Time issues didn't allow for me to draft anything up.

I don't like it all. If this were TNP then yeah, good. But we are small in forum population. Unless the Delegate makes a strong effort, by law if possible, to integrate new and skilled members in this proposed Cabinet, then no. A Delegate may choose to pick the Old Guard over and over. And we risk another thing: everyone in the Delegate's Cabinet will be in terms with him or her(i.e. no opposing and/or independent voices in Cabinet). And the Cabinet also appoints the Chief Justice. This is just stripping us of our power to elect Cabinet members. I don't like our elections and such to be taken away.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

We did vote against it, if it was so unpopular you never ever bothered to finish it so we could vote on or someone else did I think you should just accept people don't want it.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

There was NEVER a vote on this. It was brought up as a discussion and got mixed opinions. The only reason I didn't pursue a vote was due to RL time constraints and the rushed ending to the Great Council. We will see soon what the region thinks on this when it goes to a vote.

I don't like this. We've been discussing how to get more people involved and increase activity and this flies directly in the face of that. Moreover, if we're pushing to get rid of the EC, the court is appointed and now the Cabinet is appointed — we're cutting down on the Assembly's say.

I *would* be a favor of getting rid of special elections. I see no reason that the elected cabinet can't pick replacements. But I don't think we should have a fully appointed Cabinet.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]