We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Request for Comments: Voting Threads
Question 
February 2016 Special Elections

[Image: q2ssVqF.png]

Request for Comments: Voting Threads

In recent elections in the South Pacific, voting for each position has been in a separate thread. This is not, however, required by any adopted law or regulation.

I would like to request public comment on whether in this Special Election, voting should be with one ballot, posted in one thread, or by separate ballots in separate threads for each office to be elected.

Reasons to Separate

1. This is the way it's been done before, the way people may expect.
2. This way, people can make up their mind regarding an office at vote and vote immediately, then move on to other questions. They can choose how to vote, or whether to vote at all, on some offices later and others earlier.
3. It encourages people to think of each race separately, rather than altogether, which might be desirable.

Reasons to Combine

1. Fewer threads for people to read through to see what's going on.
2. People may be less likely to forget about some of the offices being elected.
3. It encourages people to think of the whole cabinet being elected, rather than each office separately, which might be desirable.

Thank you for your consideration.

With the tensions that might be with this election, you might want to do poll votes in separate thread without the ability to see how others voted until it's all over so people might vote their conscience and not feel pressured by how others voted

I think separate threads are better, but I don't favor votes being non-public at any point.

I don't believe I have any mechanism to make votes non-public.

Regardless, we have always allowed people to vote publicly or privately. That's a tradition we shouldn't end.

I believe it should be the same way it's been.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

(02-12-2016, 01:55 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: Regardless, we have always allowed people to vote publicly or privately. That's a tradition we shouldn't end.

Yeah, to clarify because what I said wasn't clear at all, I'm fine with people being able to vote privately in the ordinary way. I just meant I don't want to see the public voting be made private with a private poll.

Voting would also be more organized if done in separate threads. It might work in FPTP but for a system with ranked voting it has the potential to be longer and messier.

My suggestion for a private poll is just that. A Suggestion. I can go however. Separate threads and Vote Collector for those wanting to be private is how we usually do it

Separate threads.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice