We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Forum Administrator Accountability

This is a problem I have been talking about for quite some time.

There is little accountability with our forum administrator team which can lead to lack of trust and mistakes on both sides. This has been a systemic problem in our region, dating back to the quasi-revolt toward Hileville as Chief Administrator (which lead us to these forums) and the recent events.

I have taken issue with unilateral actions of administrators in the past, and I think we need clear expectations and accountability mechanisms of some kind.
Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.

I think we are on the right track with limiting what areas they can see, since that was an issue.

We need some sort of recall system for admins. Without that, admins have no real accountability.
But I wouldn't set it as "only requires XX% of assembly vote to recall". We could have a 2 Strike rule or something maybe? IDK just throwing out ideas to make it a little more fair.
Semi-Unretired

I dunno, I've been trying to find a way to address this topic without causing a fight. I don't think the problem is the way that the admin team works, so much as the fact that certain admins aren't trusted.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

But this problem has outlasted at least a few era of admins.

I think in Assembly discussion we were close to finding a compromise on this issue. I think we still can.
Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.

The reality is admins can see whatever they want to see and there is nothing anyone can do to audit it unles the admins make you an admin. It's just the way it is. And whoever is paying the dime to host it and owns the root acount can see it outside the forums software anyway.
The current admins just have to behave and understand the line they walk. If you want an active forum, admins make the resources people need available and not come up with "It's too much work" or "I don't think I like it, so it ain't happening."
I understand the need to keep things under control so we don't have front pages with 9000 subforums, but part of being an admin is archiving dead subforums out of the way. Welcome to being an admin. Admins don't dictate the game, they enhance it.

I know this may seem a bit of a stupid question but here goes, How are the admin chosen to be admin? And who gets to decide on these people to be admin?

The current core admins were chosen by Hileville back when we used a forum he owned. Tsunamy has been an admin for a very long time, predating those forums.

I was chosen because I applied. Kris was picked by Hileville without an application. We were added shortly after the last admin team was dismissed for various and controversial reasons.

Eluvatar was added just after the recent coup, both because of his technical knowledge and his impartiality. However, I wouldn't describe him as a full-time admin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(03-21-2016, 08:49 PM)muller1406 Wrote: I know this may seem a bit  of a stupid question but here goes, How are the admin chosen to be admin? And who gets to decide on these people to be admin?

Just to build off what Glen said indirectly, there hasn't been a systematic was of choosing admins.

We don't want to make it an elected position for obvious reasons, but also choosing replacement admins seems to be a bit of problem as well.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I'd say, 90% for a recall
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

I'd honestly like to avoid going down the recall route Ryccia, as once we subject administration to the political process we can't undo that. I just wish that the admins were able to realize that the current situation is untenable, and that they don't have the trust of too many people.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]