We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Debate] Great Councils

During our recent charter crisis, it was called to my attention that a "Great Council" can really be called by anyone at any time. I think this is misguided and potentially damaging since we can't potentially be rewritting everything every six months. While that hasn't been the case, I'd like to nip it in the butt before this becomes a problem.

As such, I'd like to amendment the Article 9 of the Charter to include the passage in blue:

Quote:Article 9: Amendments
1. This Charter may be amended as needed in accordance with Article 3.
2. All Citizens have the right to request a Great Council for a review of the entire Charter, Bill of Rights, and Code of Laws. A Great Council may only be called once every six months.
3. A Great Council requires an Assembly vote of more than 75% to be convened.

Thoughts?

(05-19-2014, 01:18 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: During our recent charter crisis, it was called to my attention that a "Great Council" can really be called by anyone at any time. I think this is misguided and potentially damaging since we can't potentially be rewritting everything every six months. While that hasn't been the case, I'd like to nip it in the butt before this becomes a problem.

As such, I'd like to amendment the Article 9 of the Charter to include the passage in blue:

Quote:Article 9: Amendments
1. This Charter may be amended as needed in accordance with Article 3.
2. All Citizens have the right to request a Great Council for a review of the entire Charter, Bill of Rights, and Code of Laws. A Great Council may only be called once every six months.
3. A Great Council requires an Assembly vote of more than 75% to be convened.

Thoughts?

I would prefer to see what a Great Council consists of before it is circumscribed by an amendment to the Charter that could potentially restrict future Citizens rights after all the topic has only come about because the validity of the charter was in doubt

I would be opposed to it, as I'm not sure it's necessary. Great Councils aren't being called every six months - the last one was held over a year ago - and there is no requirement that once called a Great Council actually does anything. A review could conclude that nothing needs changing.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Maybe a minimum time frame before calls. Still leaves things open for a call for a great council, a "debate" period in the assembly, a vote and if the vote fails, rinse and repeat. Opens up a issue that a call for a great council is "passed" because people are tire of the debate why it shouldn't.

(05-19-2014, 01:37 PM)Ditortilla Wrote: I would prefer to see what a Great Council consists of before it is circumscribed by an amendment to the Charter that could potentially restrict future Citizens rights after all the topic has only come about because the validity of the charter was in doubt

The only way to do that would be to call one or look at our archives. From my past experiences (which are undoubtedly dated) they have been wide-reaching reformations of the Charter. It's also not "restricting rights," but rather deciding that there is a legitimate need for a Great Council.

(05-19-2014, 01:37 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I would be opposed to it, as I'm not sure it's necessary. Great Councils aren't being called every six months - the last one was held over a year ago - and there is no requirement that once called a Great Council actually does anything. A review could conclude that nothing needs changing.

Well, then I suppose the question would be why we have a provision for a Great Council at all? I mean -- we can always amendment the charter, as we have been doing.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Great councils are essentially constitutional conventions. The last time we held one we rewrote the Charter from scratch, keeping elements and sections from the old one but with everything up for debate and possible change.

And we still manage to get the judiciary wrong...Every time. Tounge
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Hey, I think it's ok this time Tounge

Judiciary in NS tends to always be an issue, no matter how many times and different setups are tried...
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

Obviously.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific