We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Amendment to Article 5 of the Law Standards Act

This is pretty self-explanatory. The Law Standards Act is turning out to be a pain, and letting the Chair bring proposed legislation into compliance before bringing it to vote would ease the burden on legislators, particularly new legislators who may find the formatting standards confusing.

Amendment to Article 5 of the Law Standards Act Wrote:5. Reformatting of Laws and Legislation

(1) For the purpose of this Act, the Chair of the Assembly will bring all previously written laws into compliance with the standards outlined by this Act.

(2) The Chair of the Assembly may bring proposed legislation into compliance with the standards outlined by this Act before bringing it to vote.

I support this, though, the purpose of this law was less about the voting, and more about the debate and editing before brought to vote.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

(05-15-2017, 06:12 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: I support this, though, the purpose of this law was less about the voting, and more about the debate and editing before brought to vote.

Hmm, that's a good point. The reason I have the Chair doing this at the end of the process is because legislation often changes over the course of debate, so it makes sense to do final reformatting at the end right before voting. My hope is to still encourage people to use proper formatting, but to enable the Chair to make minor formatting corrections before bringing something to vote so a vote isn't held up by some minor formatting error.

But yes, people do need to strive to observe the formatting of the LSA when they're drafting. According to this language, the Chair may bring legislation into compliance with the LSA, but isn't required to do so. So if, for example, the legislation is a mess and no effort was made to correctly format, the Chair could tell the author they need to reformat it instead of opting to do it before bringing the legislation to vote. There's still some flexibility here.

I'm all for reasonable discretionary powers for the Chair. So, yup from me.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I always thought the Chair should have some actual power. I'm in favor.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Yes, I support this too.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I support this amendment.

It doesn't look like anyone feels there's much to debate here, so I'll move for a vote.

I'll second the motion.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

This is now at vote, here.