We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Allow the Local Council to set Border Control policy for spammers

Just a discussion, no draft yet at this time.

At the moment, the Border Control Act is written such that a border control action against spammers and trolls must be explicitly ordered. The reasoning is to ensure that somebody with border control can't just randomly decide that they don't like somebody and purge them. This can be problematic, however, as we saw recently - there was an active spammer on the RMB, and while I was around (I had Border Control powers at the time), neither the Local Council nor the Delegate were online that could have ordered the action. Therefore, I was legally prevented from doing so.

My suggestion is that we open up the clause such that the Local Council can also set policy that allows unilateral border control actions within that context. That way, they can write policy that would allow any BC officer to purge obvious mass spamming without needing to wait.

Thoughts?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

In support of this. While the obvious drawback is the chance of someone getting purged, it would be more beneficial for LC to be able to set a clear and defined policy on border control, particularly on the topic of spammers.
It's casual- Sharikan
The Gameplayer also known as Kangly/Kang/Kangles

I support this as well, spammers can derail all the fun

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

Today's events on the RMB make this even more relevant, imho.

I'm all for this. There is some drawback in regards to interpretation of what point a player is spamming, but I suppose this would largely be used for clear instances of such (i.e. dozens of spammy posts in succession). I do think the LC policy here will have to be written very carefully, and, at least to start out, should largely revolve around time sensitive cases.

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

I feel like this might conflict with other laws of the region.

Also, those with communication powers should be able to suppress spam posts.

And, I think it's largely silly that anyone who is given BC powers can't exercise them. This is an issue we've had with some members of the CRS as well, but, anyone who has the powers should be allowed to use them.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(11-23-2017, 09:51 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I feel like this might conflict with other laws of the region.

Bill of rights, you mean?

That might be a LQ worth asking tbh...

(11-23-2017, 09:51 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Also, those with communication powers should be able to suppress spam posts.

Yes, but if somebody just posts 30 RMB posts, those are still there no matter how much they are suppressed. Only a ban will prevent that nation from continuing to post.

(11-23-2017, 09:51 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: And, I think it's largely silly that anyone who is given BC powers can't exercise them. This is an issue we've had with some members of the CRS as well, but, anyone who has the powers should be allowed to use them.

Actually, people that have BC are allowed to use it! We wrote the BCA with that specifically in mind — irrespective of who has the Border Control, if an institution orders it, or the situation is explicitly granted in the BCA, anybody with BC can do it.

Does the Local Council have an idea already in which way it may use this if granted? @Somyrion @Drall @Sam111

Last term, when I was on the LC, we held a vote between ourselves, and notified a CRS member of the vote.

It seems that that way worked best for us.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

@Roavin I'd imagine we'd set a policy along the lines of "Repeated posts of a spamming or trolling manner merit the banjection of the poster". I'd define spam as meaningless, gibberish, et ceterea, and trolling as intentionally making a deliberately offensive or provocative post. I'd also strongly support setting a policy to ban any recruiters who happen to be in the region. I'd favor an instant ban policy in regards to all of these.

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!