We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Griffindor for CoA: Its all just one big house!

Hello all! I hoped you liked my slogan (ask a Harry Potter fan if you are confused) I knew that one day I would finally step up and accept a nomination for forumside government, and what better time to accept a nomination, than a newly reformed position. I have been here since before these forums, but only got serious in the last year or two. Part of this waiting was trying to get myself into a well known/respected position within the community, and some of it was not wanting to make a mistake. Casting these things aside, I am now jumping into the thick of it. Now I think you might want to know what I plan on doing should I be elected to a term.

1. Create a system of tags: This one is pretty clear, as all the candidates have made it part of their campaigns thus far. For each thread that is created, I would put a certain tag ([AT VOTE] [MOTIONED] [SECONDED] [FAILED] [DEAD] etc.) on it to mark where in the legislative process the bill is. There have been many times just in the last year, where threads literally die because no one posted on it for more than a few days. I believe that this would reduce this, as well as spur more debate, as people will know what phase it is in.

2. Create precedent on how the CoA works with the new Legislative Committee: This one is also fairly obvious, following this election, the Legislative Committee will become a true body, and as such, there will need to be a working relationship with the CoA.

3. Reduce animosity and personal attacks within the assembly: It is a given that things will eventually become heated in the middle of debate, and that is okay! But should that escalate to the point of personal attacks and stalling the legislative process, existing guidelines would be followed, and the thread will be temporarily locked to allow tension to subside. Continued personal attacks by any member, weather they are a new member, or older member, will see their legislator status suspended, and potentially revoked should it continue beyond that.

4. Reform and clean up the MATT-DUCK Law Archive: I am an organizational freak, (the APC members might see a hint of this in the subforum) as such, I will organize the archives to flow better, and create sub-categories within the archive for the larger three categories (Charter, Constitutional Laws, General Laws).

5. Integrate and teach new legislators on the procedures of the Assembly: This is probably one of the biggest thing any CoA needs to do, which is why so few new legislators ever establish themselves and stay long. In an effort to increase this, I would work with the Legislative Committee on getting legislative applications vetted and approved as quickly as possible, then send them messages on how to get involved, and notify them of any votes that are occurring.

All in all, these are the biggest items I would hope to accomplish during my term. This is an office of trust and as such, I would like to think I have built up trust with all y'all over the years! I know open up the floor to debate, and questions!
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

At what point should threads in the Assembly Halls be archived? In your answer, please consider the differences between threads concerning passed bills, failed bills, discussions, and whether they were in the public or private halls.

Please give a brief overview of how you intend to use, if at all, each of these discretionary powers:
- Correcting typographical errors, grammatical errors, or formatting inconsistencies
- Delaying votes
- Waiving mandatory debate periods
- Ruling whether an amendment to the Charter or a constitutional law affects the game-side governance

Our assembly occasionally has heated debates, and the use, or lack of thereof, of moderation powers or discretionary powers in these debates are likely to lead to pressure. Please tell us why you think you will be able to reasonably and rationally deal with such a situation.

What maximum response time in a non-LoA situation would you pledge to?

Do you intend to appoint a deputy? If so, what kind of person(s) are you looking for, and what would you have them do?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

1. You're at a bar. What's your drink of choice?

2. What's your favorite sports team and why?

3. I think it's without question that humanity will eventually colonize the other planets of our Solar System, starting with Mars. What dynamic do you think this will present to human interaction, and do you anticipate a potential interplanetary conflict between Earth and Mars should that time come? 

4. Do you believe there is value in the metal, mineral, and ice trade that could blossom from the Asteroid Belt and Outer Planets of our Solar System once humanity achieves viable inter-planetary travel and colonization? How do you anticipate that playing into the scenario from Q3?

5. What's your favorite food?

6. What is your favorite emoji?

7. Please post a gif that describes your campaign.

8. Who is your favorite Emperor of the Roman Empire and why?

9. Why?

10. As Chair of the Assembly, you will undoubtedly sit in a chair. Please show me your chair of choice.
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

Quote:At what point should threads in the Assembly Halls be archived? In your answer, please consider the differences between threads concerning passed bills, failed bills, discussions, and whether they were in the public or private halls.
The Assembly is definitely in need of an archival as such, here is how I would go about archiving threads:
-For all private threads, I would follow the method I used for the APC, I would archive all threads that have not had a new comment made for at least 50 days, so long as they would not pose a threat to regional security.
-For all public threads, I would follow the same format as above, but I would allow threads that are labeled [FAILED] or [DISCUSSION] a few more days (60?) before being archived, just in case someone wanted to take another stab on it.
-For all votes in the voting chamber, I would a few days (7?) to allow legislators to view the results.
Quote:Please give a brief overview of how you intend to use, if at all, each of these discretionary powers:
- Correcting typographical errors, grammatical errors, or formatting inconsistencies
- Delaying votes
- Waiving mandatory debate periods
- Ruling whether an amendment to the Charter or a constitutional law affects the game-side governance
-I would correct any errors in the laws or bills, and place notification that changes were made on the debate thread, or in the "office of the Chair" thread. Of course, I would never change the law in a way that would change the original intent/meaning of the law.
-I would only delay votes, or wave the debate time if regional security were in jeopardy, or if the issue was politicized, or if there was consensus with the draft, and there were no objections within 24 hours. Almost all other instances can wait for the debate time to expire.
-Determining weather a draft affected the in-game community would be done in consultation with the LC and the Delegate.
Quote:Our assembly occasionally has heated debates, and the use, or lack of thereof, of moderation powers or discretionary powers in these debates are likely to lead to pressure. Please tell us why you think you will be able to reasonably and rationally deal with such a situation.
As I mentioned in my campaign, I would use the existing guidelines as my guide. But the key to moderation is consistency. We can't play favorites, or enforce one time but not the other. I will apply moderation to all people equally. If a thread becomes heated, I will first provide warning, then lock the thread for a short time should it continue. In the event that personal attacks and obstruction of Assembly function occurred, I would start by warning, proceed to suspend, and should it come to it, expel a member from the assembly. I believe I am able to deal with this, because I haven't found myself in a heated debate, and I have seen how destructive to the process they can be.
Quote:What maximum response time in a non-LoA situation would you pledge to?
I can guarantee at least once or twice a day even in the busiest of times of the year (now passed). I usually check into the forums, discord, in game, etc. Multiple times a day every three or four hours. So inactivity in general shouldn't be an issue. Votes, will be started in the time frame provided when I would acknowledge the motion and second.
Quote:Do you intend to appoint a deputy? If so, what kind of person(s) are you looking for, and what would you have them do?
I do intend to appoint a deputy, perhaps 2 or 3. My deputy would probably end up being a new person, or someone who might make a good future CoA, to train them, and get them active in regional politics. I would look for someone that has a willingness to learn, make mistakes, and face criticism. Any deputy would need to be able to do anything, but most of time time, it would be assisting with archival, and perhaps notifying me of a potential moderation issue.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions!
(Tim's questions will be published in the coming hour)
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-

-Past Roles/Positions

Quote:1. You're at a bar. What's your drink of choice?
Well, since I am not 21 (since I live in the US) I would be drinking a Dr. Pepper. BUT if I was somewhere where I could drink, I would have a simple beer, maybe a few shots of vodka.
Quote:2. What's your favorite sports team and why?
My favorite sports team is the Dallas Cowboys (American) Football team, they are my states team, and I went to a lot of their games as a kid.
Quote:3. I think it's without question that humanity will eventually colonize the other planets of our Solar System, starting with Mars. What dynamic do you think this will present to human interaction, and do you anticipate a potential interplanetary conflict between Earth and Mars should that time come? 
Eventually, there will come a time when the people of Mars are viewed as less than the people of Earth. When this time comes, I believe that there will be a war of independence, and Mars and Earth will fight. In the sake of cooperation however, after the war, which mars would eventually win, they would form an alliance.
Quote:4. Do you believe there is value in the metal, mineral, and ice trade that could blossom from the Asteroid Belt and Outer Planets of our Solar System once humanity achieves viable inter-planetary travel and colonization? How do you anticipate that playing into the scenario from Q3?
Oh most definitely! There are asteroids worth many times the current value of the world economy. I believe that Mars and Earth before the war will both have access to it, following the war, one will kick the other out, until the alliance is formed. Eventually, these places would be colonized and have their own wars of independence. (These two questions makes me want a Sci-Fi book on this Tounge )
Quote:5. What's your favorite food?
Spaghetti, I love Spaghetti, you will share with me, or you will be expelled from the assembly. Smile
Quote:6. What is your favorite emoji?
[Image: c3fa7929f40cb7beb6505c2d62d7ec79.svg]
Is my favorite emoji... It looks cooler on iPhone Tounge
Quote:7. Please post a gif that describes your campaign.

It is too large to attach so I let you have a meme instead Tounge I'll post the gif in the legislator lounge though!
Quote:8. Who is your favorite Emperor of the Roman Empire and why?
Septimius Severus, because he must be Snape from Harry Potter right?? Wizards live a very long time right????
Quote:9. Why?
Why? Why what? *starts sweating* I don't have anything to hide!! *looks at window*
Quote:10. As Chair of the Assembly, you will undoubtedly sit in a chair. Please show me your chair of choice.
As Chair, I would like to sit in this chair:

It is a nice chair, but it isn't too expensive. It will bust the budget by a little bit, but I have faith that I will be the chair long enough to replenish the Chair Fund.

Feel free to shoot me more questions or follow up questions!
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-

-Past Roles/Positions

Not to be too much like Tim, but here's my question(s):

You're on an island, deserted with 6 others. You have just enough resources & food to last you all 4 days. What do you do to ensure that you & your group survive?

You have unlimited power for 24 hours region. What do you do with it?
It's casual- Sharikan
The Gameplayer also known as Kangly/Kang/Kangles

Quote:You're on an island, deserted with 6 others. You have just enough resources & food to last you all 4 days. What do you do to ensure that you & your group survive?
Easy! You never specified the other parts of the scenario. We would camp out on a part of the island for 4 days, then go back to the city on the other part of the island.
Quote:You have unlimited power for 24 hours region. What do you do with it?
I would preform the powers delegated to me, and nothing more. Well, I would also banject Roavin  (and anyone not in the APC) Smile
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-

-Past Roles/Positions

I think 'deserted' is pretty specific.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(12-14-2017, 04:36 AM)Seraph Wrote: I think 'deserted' is pretty specific.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk

You know, sometimes I forget how to read, and I look really dumb when that happens Tounge

In that case, we would build a giant fire, we would pray to the llama gods, and put on our lampshades, and drink our SPIT rations, hoping that a passing ship , or plane spots us. After that, we would also spend the rest of the time finding food and water, and fire material.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-

-Past Roles/Positions