We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Replacing Farengeto as MoRA

With Farengeto's resignation, we now have to appoint his successor. I talked with him on IRC, and he said pretty much any of his deputies would be good choices. That's LadyElysium, The Solar Republic, and God-Emperor (if he wants to resign as Justice to take the job).

Don't we have to hold elections?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I thought so at first, but I misread the law. Because elections are next month, we have to appoint a successor.

I honestly want to appoint someone instead of having an election, but aren't elections on July 15, meaning are are still more than one month away?
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

The day doesn't matter. The clause is triggered if the vacancy occurs "in the month prior to the start of the term for the position in question." Since the next term would start in July, any vacancy that happens in June is filled through appointment.

Oh that's awesome.

Check your PMs.

Legal Resources:

P.s. This is on hold a little bit, until we iron out what the Code of Laws actually requires us to do.

I won't be resignin' as Justice to make it a hat trick as Minister Of Regional Affairs. Cheers.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

The Code of Laws states:
Code of Laws Wrote:13. Vacancies in office occur when the office holder resigns, is recalled, or no longer holds citizenship. In the event of a vacancy in office a special election will begin within 72 hours of the office becoming vacant, unless the vacancy occurs in the month prior to the start of the term for the position in question; in this case the Cabinet will appoint a Citizen to fill the vacated position for the remainder of the term.

I say we go ahead and appoint somebody, but if you guys are still a little skeptical you could ask the High Court.

Not ideal, but I'd read the month as a timeline here, not calendar month. So we'd need an election.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]