We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] tsp Legion of Honor award act

TSP Legion of Honor Award act 
An act to recognize service to the region in ways military, civil, and political. 

1. DEFINITIONS: 

(1) Service is to be defined as any action taken that can reasonably be seen as contributing to the betterment, or advancement of the region whether military, civil, or politically.   

2. THE CLASSES OF THE AWARD:

(1) The award is to be separated into three different classes consisting of: 
a: Freedom- Awarded for extreme and diligent service of any kind to the region for a significant length of time.
b: Valor- Awarded for consistent and honorable service to the region while serving in a military position. 
c: Service- Awarded for Civil service, political service, and the betterment and advancement of the region.  

3. THE ISSUING AND NOMINATION PROCESS:

(1) The delegate is to be the entity that issues the Award to the recipients and must consent to each nominee that is to receive the Award; 

(2) The nominees for the Award shall be nominated to the classes of Service, Valor, and Freedom by the Assembly or by the following means:  
a: Nominees may be nominated to the class of Freedom by the Prime Minister or Chief Justice;
b: Nominees may be nominated to the class of Valor by the Minister of Military Affairs or the Council of Regional Security;
c: Nominees may be nominated to the class of Service by any member of the government, or by direct regional poll. 

(3) Any legislator as well as the delegate may introduce a candidate for nomination to the Assembly. Candidates are nominated upon the completion of a majority vote.  

(4) Sitting delegate cannot award themselves the honor, and if they were to be properly nominated by one of ways listed, it would be at their predecessors discretion to confirm their nomination.

(5) No person shall nominate themselves for the honor or be involved in the process of their own nomination regardless of position held in regards to process of nomination.  

4. REVOCATION OF THE AWARD:

(1) Any individual who has been convicted of a crime against the region, has been impeached or removed from office in the region, or has been found to have been awarded the Award under false or unworthy pretenses shall have the award stripped from them.

5. TIME FOR PROCESS: 

(1) The time for nomination to presentation of the award shall take no more than one months time except in the case of the nomination of the sitting delegate. 

This is my first time submitting a draft of a bill, so if you guys could take it easy and help me better my legislative skills- as well as improve this bill. 
I got this idea from reading the debate on recent draft proposals.

I second this draft.
- Winner of 'Most Energetic Campaign' in the June 2016 TSP elections.
- Winner of the Best Overall RMB poster and [b]Best RMB Welcomer of the The South Pacific Coconut Awards, 2017[/b]
- Craziest Person of the June 2017 Cabinet 
- STARS Commander 

- APC -  normal member/The undisputed king of all silliness, eternal ruler and God Emperor of APC
- Swan Knight or something
 Cob Award Winner: Top-50 most endorse buttons clicked
- Regional Leda Award Winner: Top-50 highest average endorsement count

This is a pretty good start for a first-timer! I'll answer with a bunch of comments/questions later.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Comments and questions, unsorted, as I thought of them:
  • Title and subtitle and the Articles shouldn't be capitalized
  • 1.1: I'd have @Nakari or @Seraph take a crack at fixing up the grammar of that sentence. It doesn't flow right, plus those should all be adverbs rather than adjectives at the end.
  • 2.1.a: "Commander" is a rank in SPSF, so it'd be inconvenient to have a double use for that name. Do you have a suggestion for a different name?
  • 3.1: You noted that the Delegate should issue these. I think that's fine, because the Delegate is our Head of State, though I don't know what your rationale was. Why did you pick the Delegate?
  • 3.2: I'm not sure about these. The High Court is probably generally ill-suited for this kind of thing, especially for Esquires who are likely to be nominated on political grounds. The Prime Minister or MoMA alone probably shouldn't determine a nominee either. Furthermore, going back to Commanders or Esquire, nominations for these would naturally originate with institutions in which the individual was prominently involved. How about something like - The Delegate and Prime Minister together may call a Honoration Committee, consisting of Delegate, Prime Minister, One designated member of each ministry, one member of the CRS, and one member of the Court. This committee could be formed anytime after 3 months have passed since the previous committee. The committee will decide on up to one nominee for each category, and present them to the assembly for an approval vote.
  • 3.3: That'd be a simple popularity contest then, I'm not sure that's a particularly good idea.
  • 3.4: Alternative suggestion: The Delegate may not vote on their own nomination; if honored while in office, the award will be presented by the Prime Minister instead.
  • You have section 3 twice. Tounge
  • On revocation: Who would determine that the award was given under false or unworthy pretenses?
  • And now in general: Why do you feel this requires legislation, and isn't something that the Ministry of Regional Affairs (for example) can do on its own?
  • Would you want to legislate any additional privileges to honored nations?

There is some work to be done, and it may end up not passing. But don't be discouraged - it's obvious that you put thought into this, and I think this is a great first attempt at drafting legislation. Smile
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(04-10-2018, 04:56 PM)Roavin Wrote:
  • 2.1.a: "Commander" is a rank in SPSF, so it'd be inconvenient to have a double use for that name. Do you have a suggestion for a different name?
  • - Certainly, I have changed it to "Commandant"
  •  
  • 3.1: You noted that the Delegate should issue these. I think that's fine, because the Delegate is our Head of State, though I don't know what your rationale was. Why did you pick the Delegate?
  • - The actual legion of honor is chaired by the french president who i guess would be an analogue to our delegate.  
  •  
  • 3.2: I'm not sure about these. The High Court is probably generally ill-suited for this kind of thing, especially for Esquires who are likely to be nominated on political grounds. The Prime Minister or MoMA alone probably shouldn't determine a nominee either. Furthermore, going back to Commanders or Esquire, nominations for these would naturally originate with institutions in which the individual was prominently involved. How about something like - The Delegate and Prime Minister together may call a Honoration Committee, consisting of Delegate, Prime Minister, One designated member of each ministry, one member of the CRS, and one member of the Court. This committee could be formed anytime after 3 months have passed since the previous committee. The committee will decide on up to one nominee for each category, and present them to the assembly for an approval vote.
  •  
  • - I'm not too sure about this idea: The idea was that the delegate would be able to veto or accept nominations at their discretion, and that they would generally be able to determine the merit of each nominee. I figured the MoMA as head of the military would be able to nominate individuals who have served well and done a lot in that position. I also would think that the heads of the institutions would generally be in the assembly and would be able to nominate individuals for the award. You're right about the court thing, so i changed that. 
  •  
  • 3.3: That'd be a simple popularity contest then, I'm not sure that's a particularly good idea.-
  •  
  • This part of the bill allows a mechanism for individuals to be nominated by the assembly, also this would allow for two systems of checks: both the majority vote and the delegate confirmation.
  • You have section 3 twice. Tounge
  •  
  • - Fixed, sorry about that.
  • On revocation: Who would determine that the award was given under false or unworthy pretenses?
  •  
  • - The legislature, the court, the delegate? It is possible for somebody to be given any award under false pretenses, this would be a check against political favoritism or popularity contests.
  • And now in general: Why do you feel this requires legislation, and isn't something that the Ministry of Regional Affairs (for example) can do on its own?
  •  
  • -They could do this yes, but having this backed by the legislature and the head of state elevates its visibility, enshrines it as more "official", and emulates the actual legion of honor.
  •  
  • Would you want to legislate any additional privileges to honored nations?
  •  
  • -Possibly a medal or ribbon flair they can display, perhaps a celebration that can be held in the last week or so of a delegates term; I'm not too sure about giving the honored any additional powers, but it could work if done right.

Islands_of_Unity, 
Would you kindly reformat your response to Roavin's questions?
Its a bit difficult to read your responses to Roavin's questions when you added them into Roavin's quote.

(04-11-2018, 11:29 AM)Imperial Frost Federation Wrote: Islands_of_Unity, 
Would you kindly reformat your response to Roavin's questions?
Its a bit difficult to read your responses to Roavin's questions when you added them into Roavin's quote.

Fixed! Sorry about that

The forums actually have an awards system plugin installed that’s just not utilized. My critique of this bill is, aside from Roavin’s, mainly that the titles don’t really fit our regional theme. We’ve never really been a monarchy-like region, so titles like knight don’t make sense. Maybe we can take a cue from how the US or other non-monarchic countries handle these honors IRL?

(04-12-2018, 07:03 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: The forums actually have an awards system plugin installed that’s just not utilized. My critique of this bill is, aside from Roavin’s, mainly that the titles don’t really fit our regional theme. We’ve never really been a monarchy-like region, so titles like knight don’t make sense. Maybe we can take a cue from how the US or other non-monarchic countries handle these honors IRL?

I have to agree with Glen about the theme. What about like ... Medals of Freedom, Honor and Courage? Or something like that?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]