We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Private Chambers/PASSED] Repeal of Lazarus Treaties

Quote:
Repeal of Lazarus Treaties
An act for the purposes of ceasing both formal agreements The South Pacific has with Lazarus

Targeted Agreements:

The agreements targeted by this Act are the following:   
Language: 

1. The Non-Aggression Pact Between The South Pacific and Lazarus is to be repealed.

2. The Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation between The South Pacific and Lazarus will be repealed, and officially terminated five days after the passage of this act.

3. Under no circumstances will the Coalition of The South Pacific recognize the illegitimate coup government that is the Khanate of Lazarus as legitimate rulers of Lazarus. 

Right, let’s get the important stuff out of the way. Should this act pass, we will be formally ceasing all relations with the Celestial Union of Lazarus. This does not mean we will be recognizing the Khanate, or any other Lazarus government at this time. To put it plainly, we will have recognition for no current government that claims to have right of rule over Lazarus.

Should Lazarus one day be returned to a native state, with the coupers removed from the region, rather than its current one as playground/warzone for Lone Wolves United, then The South Pacific will consider potentially recognizing a government at that time. However, at this moment, the intent following the passage of this Act is to recognize nothing in Lazarus.

The Celestial Union is effectively dead, and there is no point continuing to hold up a treaty with it. Furthermore, most of the most “native” people from the Celestial Union have already left it. Additionally, the Celestial Union has not only shown itself to be non-existent, but it has served as an almost hostile albatross around the neck of both ourselves and our allies. 

Long story short, their strategy moving forward was that to mimic the concept of the Franco-British Union. Essentially, the Celestial Union would become an government leeched onto and operating from another region, officially recognized by that region as a government with full rights operating alongside the actually legitimate government. A couple months back they tried to push this in our ally The Rejected Realms, even after being told by the Cabinet of TRR that it was not happening, attempting to push it through their Assembly instead. They subsequently tried to hatch the same plan in TSP, despite being told incredibly bluntly by both Roavin and myself that it was not going to happen. They also recently got into hot water in our ally The East Pacific for approaching officials with what looked like the hopes of lobbying a similar concept to them. 

Frankly, this behavior from the officials of the Celestial Union has come off as predatory and subversive, and is incredibly unbecoming of an ally. If they simply wanted to inquire, and then move on after the “No”, that’s fine, but trying to go around that and make it happen anyway in TRR, potentially TEP, and within our own borders is pretty unacceptable.

I think that disengaging ourselves from the Celestial Union, and thus disengaging ourselves from any legal obligations in Lazarus, is the right path forward. Should there be an opportunity to return the region to stable, native rule, I have no doubt that the SPSF would still be interested in being involved. However, a relationship with the Celestial Union moving forward is not viable.

I hope to see you folks Repeal these two treaties, so we can take the albatross off our neck.
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

Full support. When does this go to vote?
Aav Verinhall
They/Them

(04-12-2018, 01:09 PM)Aav Whitehall Wrote: Full support. When does this go to vote?

I would encourage you to review the Legislative Procedure Act, which clearly outlines that a proposal may go to vote after it has received a motion to vote, a second to that motion, and has been open for the minimum discussion period of three days.

So, tl;dr - 3 days, probably.

If this is a contentious proposal, which I would hope it's not, then it may take longer. This is something viewed by both the MoFA Team and the Cabinet prior to submission, so hopefully we'll be able to get this done quickly.

I disagree.

Everything is dead, let Lazarus burn. It shouldn't be our problem anymore.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

(04-12-2018, 01:23 PM)Qaweritoyu Wrote: I disagree.

Could you provide reasoning as to why? Not too constructive otherwise.

Aside from disengaging from the Celestial Union and legal obligations to Lazarus, what are the other practical benefits to repealing the treaties?

(04-12-2018, 01:58 PM)Imperial Frost Federation Wrote: Aside from disengaging from the Celestial Union and legal obligations to Lazarus, what are the other practical benefits to repealing the treaties?

It gets rid of legal documents which are basically dead weight, given that the Celestial Union is more-or-less a dead regime run largely by carpetbaggers and opportunists at this point, rather than a true native voice.

Treaties are meant to be mutually beneficial. We have not benefited at all on our end.

It also means we wouldn't be in a treaty with a regime that has, to this date, attempted to subvert the democratic process of both ourselves and two of our treatied allies. I really can't stress that enough, that the Celestial Union has actively tried to subvert not only The South Pacific, but also our allies The Rejected Realms and The East Pacific. That's behavior which is pretty fucking despicable for a treatied ally to be engaging in.

Could you provide, within the realms of what's possible to disclose, more information what exactly the Celestial Union has done to subvert us and our allies? I know you've mentioned it in your OP, and I think I understand what you said, but I feel it still wasn't entirely clear.

Thanks!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Motion to vote.
If the CU can get a legitimate government up and running in a new region, I'm happy to ally with that government. But currently, the CU has really been lazy and hasn't done anything at all, instead slowly falling to it's death.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister