We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Nakari for CoA

[Image: GDDuSAC.png]
First of all, I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed working as your Chair of Assembly. It's so satisfying bringing things to vote and guiding that process along. (And of course the satisfaction of getting to edit laws to perfection!) If I don't win, I still thank the Assembly for having me for so long. I'm glad the Chair of Assembly seems to be turning into a more desirable and stable position. Without further ado, here's why I might be worthy of a second term.

Previous qualification
  • I am reliable. Even while on holiday I was bringing votes to the floor within 24 hours of a motion. I believe the only time it’s taken over 24 hours was with my own draft, where I delayed voting so that the author could be satisfied with it.
  • I have shown dedication to keeping our laws elegant, clear, and generally worthy of the South Pacific, by proofreading others' proposals, by using the Chair's discretionary powers, and by proposing my own clarifying amendments. I'll continue working on this next term, whether I win or not (maybe less use of discretionary powers because I think I already got most of it Tounge )
  • I've reorganized the Assembly to make more sense - for example moving the Leave of Absence thread here, cleaning up the previously clogged pinned threads, and having the 'post-2016 archived laws' subforum added so that the MATT-DUCK archives could hold only relevant, current laws. I'll continue streamlining in this way if I'm re-elected.
  • I've been involved in the assembly consistently since becoming a legislator.
Plans for next term
  • If I win my next term I plan to write an FAQ for the assembly, with information on where to find laws and the general process of amendments. Hopefully this thread will become a place where people can ask questions too. It does concern me how many seem to have had issues understanding the Assembly and so have given up instead of asking for help, so it would be good to have an area specifically for help requests.
  • Relatedly, I'll remain open to any suggestions or problems that arise, and adapt my plans to fit.
  • Last term I began work on a glossary of our laws, providing relevant laws for each subject. This turned out more time-consuming than it appeared, and I'm still not happy with the presentation of it. As soon as I can find a format that is understandable without being overwhelming, I intend to publish it and keep it updated over the term. Here's a preview: https://i.imgur.com/MiqVLwW.png
  • I created a dispatch system to give alerts to legislators who may not check the forum frequently enough to see votes. Next term, I will continue to develop this system, and perhaps work with the Legislator Committee on telegrams notifying people to vote if they would lose their status otherwise.
Duties 
  • Of course, I'll continue to keep up with the Chair of Assembly duties as much as ever. Votes will be brought to the floor within 24 hours of motions once debate time has expired, and will be closed within 24 hours of ending. I'll keep the legislator roster updated with votes, keep the MATT-DUCK index updated, and keep debate from bubbling over. I'll do the job as the law says, essentially.
I realise my campaign isn't the fanciest, but I do think it's practical, sensible and sustainable. I've proven in the last four months that I can do a good job as the Chair of the Assembly. It would be great to be given another four months to do a job I really enjoy and to help improve the Assembly the best I can. Feel free to ask questions and comment on my campaign, I'd be happy to answer Happywide

I do have a few things to bring up or ask.
1. We have a lot of new legislature's like myself who are still learning their way around. What steps can you take to ensure that they will get comfortable, stay engaged, and make it easier on forum?
The South Crystal
Serving as a voice in the Legislature since April 2018!

My second one is would you be open to maybe establishing committees here in the legislature to be responsible for a certain area or task?
The South Crystal
Serving as a voice in the Legislature since April 2018!

(04-18-2018, 02:22 PM)The North Crystal Wrote: I do have a few things to bring up or ask.
1. We have a lot of new legislature's like myself who are still learning their way around. What steps can you take to ensure that they will get comfortable, stay engaged, and make it easier on forum?

That's the idea of the FAQ and the glossary of laws, and hopefully establishing an area people can ask for help. It seems that a lot of people who have been confused haven't felt comfortable enough to ask, so that's the primary issue I'd try to tackle.
(04-18-2018, 02:24 PM)The North Crystal Wrote: My second one is would you be open to maybe establishing committees here in the legislature to be responsible for a certain area or task?

I think a good thing about the TSP legislature is that people can suggest and debate whatever they want, and there aren't any set areas of legislation or set tasks to do. If committees were established to be responsible for certain areas of the law, then would that drive away people who are interested in working on that law but don't feel like they could be responsible for the whole thing? I don't know. I'd rather keep the assembly more free, and let legislators work together on projects if they want to. I can see some version of this working, though. What kinds of tasks and areas were you thinking about these committees being responsible for?

What do you plan to do should you loose this election?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(04-19-2018, 03:52 PM)Omega Wrote: What do you plan to do should you loose this election?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to finish off the glossary of laws in the next couple months and publish it here, or perhaps ask the CoA to pin it in the MATT-DUCK subforum. I'll remain active in the Assembly as usual (and keep proofreading however much I have time for). The code for the dispatches will be handed over to the new CoA if they're interested in it.

I'll probably work a bit more in the Ministry of Regional Affairs after exams. Also probably chill more, and enjoy real life without having votes on my timetable all the time Tounge