We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to the Holidays Act

Holidays Act
An act recognizing historical events worthy of celebration
1. Public Holidays

(1) The following days will be official holidays of the Coalition--

a. December 31st shall be declared Foundation Day, celebrating the creation of the South Pacific.
b. January 1st shall be declared Delegates Day, celebrating those who have served as Delegate of the Coalition.
c. March 18th shall be declared Max Barry day, celebrating the Creator and founder of Nation States.
 c. d. June 2nd shall be declared Coalition Day, celebrating the creation of the Charter, Government, and the Coalition.
d. e. July 20th shall be declared Independence Day, celebrating our freedom and independence, marking the end of UCR control over the South Pacific.
e. f. November 13th shall be declared Creation Day, celebrating the creation of NationStates.

(2) Further holidays may be added by the Delegate, the Cabinet, or the Assembly.

Yeah...
I can't say how uncomfortable I am with the implication that the only patriots are those in the military. Identifying certain positions or groups as being "patriotic" is a dangerous slippery slope that should be avoided.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

The dates have all been chosen for specific historical reasons, excluding Delegates day (which should really be called "Bel will be hungover and won't do any work day") so I don't support adding one on an arbitrary day like September the 17th.

I'm all for adding Max's birthday as a holiday, but it should be called Max Barry Day.

The final amendment is unnecessary, and actually contradictory - by specifying "by amendment to this bill" you actually prevent the Delegate or Cabinet from proclaiming a new holiday, as only the Assembly can pass amendments. The assembly in turn can always amend a bill.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Thank you for your input, i have "fixed" the bill and added max barry day. 

Would you happen to know the date of foundation of the assembly and the military?

I'm fine with max barry day... a nice addition i think.

I motion to vote on this amendment.

(05-02-2018, 08:17 AM)islands_of_unity Wrote: I motion to vote on this amendment.

I second this motion.