We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Appointment of Belschaft to the High Court

Dear Chairwoman, dear fellow Legislators,

after extensive (and extremely tiring >_>) deliberation, the Cabinet and Chief Justice Kris Kringle have decided to appoint Belschaft to serve as Associate Justice.

His credentials to the job are extensive. He has been Court Justice, Alternate Justice, and Chief Justice in TSP. He served as both Court Justice and Deputy Attorney General in TNP, as the inaugural Chief Justice and principal author of the judicial system in the Humane Republic of Lazarus. Furthermore, the player has RL experience in the area, both as a hobby and professionally. In his answers to the interview questions, Belschaft displayed an impressive command of the principles of judicial interpretation and awareness of the expectations from a judge and the role of the judiciary within the Coalition.

Chairwoman, with the power vested in me as Prime Minister of the Coalition, I declare that the Cabinet and Chief Justice have in good faith appointed Belschaft to serve as Associate Justice in accordance with per Article 1 Section 5 of the Judicial Act, and request that the corresponding assembly procedure is initiated.

The Chief Justice, the Cabinet, and the appointee are happy to answer any and all questions that our fellow Legislators have.

-- Roavin

P.S. Yes, another appointment is coming.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

"But guys isn't there supposed more than one nominee" - haters probably

SOON
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

Is it really a vote if I only have one option?

Can we nominate Sand, kthx bai 

Tounge

[Just being a little shit, I support this nomination and am excited to see him in the post gl and you have my support Bels Smile]
Greetings, I am The Serres Republic.

Currently 'The Future Greatest and Most Splendid General of All TSP.'

I know you all look forward to when I complete my grand quest ;P.

Official ‘Most Dedicated Raider’ in all of TSP. Look at me all evil and shtuff ;P

Heck I was MoFA, Now Im PM. I must be loved owo

(05-05-2018, 09:16 PM)The Serres Republic Wrote: Is it really a vote if I only have one option?

It's a confirmation vote, not an election.

You will have, in fact, three options - Aye, Nay, and Abstain.

(05-05-2018, 09:17 PM)Tim Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 09:16 PM)The Serres Republic Wrote: Is it really a vote if I only have one option?

Did you just facetiously answer me with a genuine response to a partial quote of my original, sassy, statement?

You truly are the original flamer *bows to papa*
Greetings, I am The Serres Republic.

Currently 'The Future Greatest and Most Splendid General of All TSP.'

I know you all look forward to when I complete my grand quest ;P.

Official ‘Most Dedicated Raider’ in all of TSP. Look at me all evil and shtuff ;P

Heck I was MoFA, Now Im PM. I must be loved owo

(05-05-2018, 09:19 PM)The Serres Republic Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 09:17 PM)Tim Wrote:

Did you just facetiously answer me with a genuine response to a partial quote of my original, sassy, statement?

You truly are the original flamer *bows to papa*

I did indeed.

Love you son <3

So long as Bel won't run for another position I'd be happy to support the nomination.

Congrats, Bels!

This was the easiest part of the deliberations Tounge 

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

I'd like to request the answers Belschaft gave to the questionnaires sent out to judicial candidates. Additionally, I have some serious concerns about his activity. He's frequently had to leave for extended periods of time, for real-life professional reasons. And the last court case was delayed several times to accommodate him.

Also, given his extensive history in TSP, both in the political arena and the number of times he's been in front of the court, can we dispense with the notion that Belschaft is an apolitical unbiased actor? We should know what we're getting on the court, and Belschaft (along with me) is in a group of players that honestly can never be called apolitical. I don't think having political convictions is disqualifying in itself, but I do think we should be up front about it, otherwise the court's legitimacy is going to be damaged.

Lastly, and this is a point of process, I'm uncomfortable with 90% of the decision-making process about judicial appointments being held in secret. The Assembly is being asked to vote on the Cabinet's picks, but we don't actually get to see the real reasons why the Cabinet and Chief Justice have selected somebody. We only get to see the PR-approved message forwarded to the Assembly. I'd like to request that the Cabinet publish their deliberations, so we can know exactly how and why they've reached their appointment decisions. That would help the Assembly get a better idea of what the candidate's qualifications truly are.

For full disclosure, I was also asked to fill out questionnaires for this process and I will be posting my answers shortly!

(05-06-2018, 09:17 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: I'd like to request the answers Belschaft gave to the questionnaires sent out to judicial candidates.

Not an issue. I'm waiting on Bel's okay, and then I'll post them here.

(05-06-2018, 09:17 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: Additionally, I have some serious concerns about his activity. He's frequently had to leave for extended periods of time, for real-life professional reasons. And the last court case was delayed several times to accommodate him.

True, but that could happen to me or you as well. I would expect, as common courtesy to fellow players, that taking a leave is announced. If Bel were in the middle of a court case and unexpectedly had to disappear, there's nothing prohibiting the High Court from reassigning the case otherwise.

(05-06-2018, 09:17 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: Also, given his extensive history in TSP, both in the political arena and the number of times he's been in front of the court, can we dispense with the notion that Belschaft is an apolitical unbiased actor? We should know what we're getting on the court, and Belschaft (along with me) is in a group of players that honestly can never be called apolitical. I don't think having political convictions is disqualifying in itself, but I do think we should be up front about it, otherwise the court's legitimacy is going to be damaged.

We're under no such illusion! The new Judicial Act was purposefully designed to allow political players to participate in the court. What we expect of Justices is to put aside political views and ambitions when they step onto the Bench to make a ruling. Part of the selection process includes gauging whether we have the confidence that any such nominee would do so, and that was considered here as well. And finally, even if that were to break down, the new Judicial Act compels the court to check itself by requiring that another justice signs off on a pending opinion.

I think you are presenting a legitimate concern, don't get me wrong, but it was considered.

(05-06-2018, 09:17 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: Lastly, and this is a point of process, I'm uncomfortable with 90% of the decision-making process about judicial appointments being held in secret. The Assembly is being asked to vote on the Cabinet's picks, but we don't actually get to see the real reasons why the Cabinet and Chief Justice have selected somebody. We only get to see the PR-approved message forwarded to the Assembly. I'd like to request that the Cabinet publish their deliberations, so we can know exactly how and why they've reached their appointment decisions. That would help the Assembly get a better idea of what the candidate's qualifications truly are.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the idea, though I think they should be presented in a separate thread (which Escade has already done). As for this particular nomination, once again I encourage any and all legislators to ask any and all questions they have regarding the nominee or the selection process.

You should all make us convince you of the merits of this choice!
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]