We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DECLASSIFIED-DEC.2019] LCRUA embassy withdrawal

LCRUA is not really up to standards of ally.

- One government member (Zaila) recently made anti-Semetic jokes about Jews and concentration camps.

- They have an embassy with the USSD, and Attero is on their server.

- Zaila and Baishita also made anti-semitic jokes about seven months ago, leading to TRR withdrawing an embassy. Zaila and Baishita were found guilty of hate speech under LCRUA law, but their punishment was to make a holocaust collage which is a really limp punishment. (https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1052134)

- They have a slur in one of their Discord channel descriptions.
[Image: unknown.png]

- We have literally nothing to do with them.

A potential statement.

Quote:We were recently made aware of a government official in the LCRUA making anti-Semitic jokes, and facing no punishment for it. The same government official had previously made similar comments, and their punishment, even then, was minimal, and had to be insisted upon by another of their allies. Their behaviour does not seem to have changed, and the LCRUA does not seem interested in changing their behaviour. The LCRUA also has no problem with the use of anti-LGBT slurs. Additionally, the LCRUA holds embassies with the USSD, and their server welcomes Attero, both blacklisted in the wider NationStates community.

The South Pacific has values including strong opposition to hateful ideologies, maintaining an area welcoming to all, and a commitment to the safety of our members. Unfortunately we do not believe the LCRUA shares these values, and therefore we will be withdrawing our embassy.

Yikes.

We don't have formal relations, only informal ones. But yeah, I think this is a good prompting for terminating the embassy and withdrawing our ambassador.

The statement looks good to me, though I'd clear up the last sentence to make it less ambiguous that we are the ones with those values Tounge
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(02-14-2019, 06:30 PM)Roavin Wrote: Yikes.

We don't have formal relations, only informal ones. But yeah, I think this is a good prompting for terminating the embassy and withdrawing our ambassador.

The statement looks good to me, though I'd clear up the last sentence to make it less ambiguous that we are the ones with those values Tounge

Oops, fixed!

Proposed minor corrections Wrote:We were recently made aware of a government official in the LCRUA making anti-Semitic jokes, and facing no punishment for it. The same government official had previously made similar comments, and their punishment, even then, was minimal, and had to be insisted upon by another of their allies. Their behaviour does not seem to have changed, and the LCRUA does not seem interested in changing their behaviour. The LCRUA also has no problem with the use of anti-LGBT slurs. Additionally, the LCRUA holds embassies with the USSD, and their server welcomes Attero, both blacklisted in the wider NationStates community.

The South Pacific has values including strong opposition to hateful ideologies, maintaining an area welcoming to all, and a commitment to the safety of our members. Unfortunately, we do not believe the LCRUA shares these values, and therefore we will be withdrawing our embassy.

Result of Corrections (without colour codes) Wrote:We were recently made aware of a government official in the LCRUA making anti-Semitic jokes, and facing no punishment for it. The same government official had previously made similar comments, and their punishment, even then, was minimal and had to be insisted upon by another of their allies. Their behaviour does not seem to have changed, and the LCRUA does not seem interested in changing their behaviour. The LCRUA also has no problem with the use of anti-LGBT slurs. Additionally, the LCRUA holds embassies with the USSD, and their server welcomes Attero, both blacklisted in the wider NationStates community.

The South Pacific has values including strong opposition to hateful ideologies, maintaining an area welcoming to all, and a commitment to the safety of our members. Unfortunately, we do not believe the LCRUA shares these values, and therefore we will be withdrawing our embassy.

Furthermore, it may be advisable to include a sentence why USSD and Attero are blacklisted for those in the audience who may not know of their history.

For posterity, let's post new drafts rather than editing old ones (or at least putting older versions in drafts). Makes it easier 6 months down the road when we have to sunshine all of this and have forgotten what we were talking about.

(02-14-2019, 07:11 PM)Amerion Wrote: Furthermore, it may be advisable to include a sentence why USSD and Attero are blacklisted for those in the audience who may not know of their history.

The problem is that such a description might very well run afoul of the on-site defamation rule. I think it's fine as-is.

Ah, the Sunshine Act ... something with which a thousand legal challenges could have been based on.

I see the logic of your reasoning. I'm fine with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Roavin

I agree with the statement.

As a former Ambadsador, LCRUA have often flown a bit too close to the wind with some of these types of comments.

Rereading the statement, I think it would be appropriate to mention that our superbae TRR also ended any interactions with them a while back for similar reasons, and mention that we're also withdrawing our ambassador.

The outgoing PM and incoming MoFA should still weigh in, though.

EDIT: @sandaoguo - will you want to present this to the Assembly first for discussion?

Quote:We were recently made aware of a government official in the LCRUA making anti-Semitic jokes, and facing no punishment for it. The same government official had previously made similar comments (which we were unaware of), and their punishment, even then, was minimal, and had to be insisted upon by our ally, the Rejected Realms. Their behaviour does not seem to have changed, and the LCRUA does not seem interested in changing their behaviour. The LCRUA also has no problem with the use of anti-LGBT slurs. Additionally, the LCRUA holds embassies with the USSD, and their server welcomes Attero, both blacklisted in the wider NationStates community.

The South Pacific has values including strong opposition to hateful ideologies, maintaining an area welcoming to all, and a commitment to the safety of our members. Unfortunately we do not believe the LCRUA shares these values, and therefore we will be withdrawing our embassy and ambassador.

Slight edit to fit in the TRR and ambassador thing, and clarification that we didn't know about the TRR thing until now. (At least, pretty sure we didn't Tounge )
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nakari's post:
  • Roavin