We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] A1905.01: Amendment to the Legislator Committee Act

Quote:(2) Within the first week of each calendar month, the Legislator Committee will remove legislator status from a legislator if they failed the voting requirement in the past month, if applicable, or otherwise no longer meet the eligibility requirements as described herein. If a legislator no longer meets the eligibility requirements, the Legislator Committee may remove their legislator status outside the first week of the calendar month. The Legislator Committee may exercise discretion and not remove legislators under reasonable extenuating circumstances.

Let's say we have a legislator who tries to apply for legislatorship with another account on May 8th - they become ineligible for legislator status immediately, and have probably committed a crime - but they cannot legally be removed as a legislator for another 21 days. Or perhaps a legislator is permanently banned from NationStates on May 8th - still going to legally be a legislator for another 21 days. On May 8th, a legislator starts bragging that they joined purely to harvest everything from the Private Halls and send it to our enemies? They should be ineligible because they've joined in bad faith, but the court case could take forever, and they'll still probably be a legislator for another 21 days, because we can't do anything outside that seven day period.

Voting requirements are a separate thing, so we can't boot people out halfway through the month because they haven't voted much, and this doesn't compel the Legislator Committee to act immediately, so you won't have your status removed if you accidentally move out for five minutes. However, it would be nice to be able to act immediately in cases where action is needed.

For example, we had a case recently where a legislator's nation was deleted. While still a legislator, they repeatedly applied on new accounts, pretending to be different people. That legislator immediately became ineligible for legislator status as they were applying with multiple accounts and in bad faith, but we couldn't dismiss their main legislator account because it was halfway through the month.

This may seem a bit harsh, perhaps, or a bit cabal-ish. I'm open to suggestion. I imagine if this amendment was made, the Legislator Committee wouldn't be able to just randomly delete legislators - we would have to actually announce it formally, but we announce all legislator removals formally anyway so I don't think that needs to be legislated in.
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Belschaft, Divine Owl, Nat, Witchcraft and Sorcery

A potential flaw with this is the legislator voting requirement. If one falls behind mid-month but would still satisfy the requirement at the end, one could technically abuse this clause to remove people.

Not a Nay, just a loophole that could be used maliciously to close.

The problem -- in the past -- at least, has been that its difficult to apply that standard to everyone, evenly, since we can't check everyday.

But, given the LegComm's mandate and the fact that they are appointed officials subject to recall if they are overstepping their boundaries, I think it's fine.

Full support!
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Volaworand

(04-29-2019, 09:40 AM)Farengeto Wrote: A potential flaw with this is the legislator voting requirement. If one falls behind mid-month but would still satisfy the requirement at the end, one could technically abuse this clause to remove people.

Not a Nay, just a loophole that could be used maliciously to close.

Voting requirements are already listed as a different thing from the eligibility requirements that you need to be accepted in the first place. But that could probably be made clearer that this applies to one and not the other.

(04-29-2019, 09:42 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: The problem -- in the past -- at least, has been that its difficult to apply that standard to everyone, evenly, since we can't check everyday.

But, given the LegComm's mandate and the fact that they are appointed officials subject to recall if they are overstepping their boundaries, I think it's fine.

Full support!

I guess the idea of this is that, well, not everybody is treated the same. Someone getting DOS and having their nation deleted needs to be treated differently to someone who CTEs for a day. So I've been thinking about what actually differentiates how they should be treated, and yay, new draft:
Quote:(2) Within the first week of each calendar month, the Legislator Committee will remove legislator status from a legislator if they failed the voting requirement in the past month, if applicable, or otherwise no longer meet the eligibility requirements as described herein. If a legislator no longer meets the eligibility requirements and it would be impossible for them to meet them before the first week of the calendar month, the Legislator Committee may remove their legislator status at their discretion. The Legislator Committee may exercise discretion and not remove legislators under reasonable extenuating circumstances.

This differentiates more between cases where a legislator has to only make a small change to be eligible again, and cases where a legislator will be removed at the set period no matter what.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Belschaft, Seraph

I think this is a fine proposal. The wording may be fine, but I feel it is best to just be safe and explicit in the wording. To that affect I suggest adding "(except the voting requirement)" to the draft, as in below:

Legislator Committee Act 3(2) Wrote:(2) Within the first week of each calendar month, the Legislator Committee will remove legislator status from a legislator if they failed the voting requirement in the past month, if applicable, or otherwise no longer meet the eligibility requirements as described herein. If a legislator no longer meets the eligibility requirements (except the voting requirement), the Legislator Committee may remove their legislator status outside the first week of the calendar month. The Legislator Committee may exercise discretion and not remove legislators under reasonable extenuating circumstances.
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)

Quote:(2) Within the first week of each calendar month, the Legislator Committee will remove legislator status from a legislator if they failed the voting requirement in the past month, if applicable, or otherwise no longer meet the eligibility requirements as described herein. If a legislator no longer meets the eligibility requirements (not including the voting requirement), and it would be impossible for them to meet the requirements before the first week of the following calendar month, the Legislator Committee may remove their legislator status at their discretion before the appointed week. The Legislator Committee may exercise discretion and not remove legislators under reasonable extenuating circumstances.

This version should be clearer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nakari's post:
  • Nat

I shall motion the latest draft.

Second.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Bzerneleg

[Image: TZwtVaB.png]

8 May 2019

Legislators,

Please be advised that the vote to amend Article 3 of the Legislator Committee Act has been opened. The vote has been designated in the Assembly's official record as A1905.01 and referred to in full as the Amendment to Article 3 of the Legislator Committee Act.

Legislators may cast their vote here.

The vote will end on the 13th of May, 2019, at 12:00 p.m. (UTC).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bzerneleg's post:
  • Rebeltopia