We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

W&S for MoMA!

W&S for MoMA - A Risin’ Wind

Hello TSP! Wow! Here we are. I know I’ve talked a lot about it, but I’m here today to make it officially one hundred percent official: I’m Witchcraft and Sorcery, and I’m running to be your next Minister of Military Affairs.

Who am I?

My name is Witchcraft and Sorcery or W&S and I’ve been a TSP legislator since earlier this year. I’ve been in and out of TSP since 2017, but I’ve been playing the game for much longer than that. I started in 2013, spent the first four years of my career in 10000 Islands and TITO, where I served in various leadership positions, including three terms as senator, a year as TITO Tactical Officer, and a total of about two and a half years as Dean of 10ki University over two or three terms. After that, I joined the Grey Wardens, rose quickly to an officer position, hosted the 2017 Defender Awards, and then took a hiatus from NS until late last year. I rejoined 10ki in September of last year and since then I’ve been active both in 10ki and TSP on a number of different fronts. Recently I stepped down from my official positions in 10ki to pursue a more active and involved career in TSP, which is what led me here.

What do I bring to the position?

More than anything else, I bring over five years of near-continuous military experience to the SPSF, with the equivalent of about two of those years in leadership and command positions if you don’t count my hiatus. I’ve organized everything from chasing operations to massive liberations to raids on trolls or Nazis every now and then. About the only thing I haven’t done is tag raiding. The bulk of my experience is in defending, and as MoMA those would be the majority of the operations that I personally organize and oversee.

With me as your MoMA you’ll get someone who’s not afraid to get down and dirty and try new things. I’ll be actively involved in update and off-update military operations, coordinating recruitment efforts, and working to innovate and build the SPSF into an organization that has even more of a visible and consequential effect on the Gameplay world. I’ll nurture relationships with allies, especially defenders, and work to promote an active and proactive SPSF that works both to defend the South Pacific from threats and to stand up for smaller regions under attack from unwanted aggression.

My R/D philosophy

Most of you who know me and my background know that I have a very strong defender bent and instead of shying away from that in light of our “officially independent” status, I consider it a very important part of what brings me here. The vast majority of my experience is in defending and I am a defender at heart. I’ve found it to be more fun, more rewarding, and more skillful than raiding, but I also strongly believe that it most closely follows my own and the South Pacific’s values of freedom and individual sovereignty. While I don’t agree with the moralist stereotype that “raiding = IRL bullying” all the time, I do agree with the idea that it’s time for us to stop playing around and embrace what we’ve long been toying around with.

To that end, I want to say a couple of things. Firstly, I am of the mind as some others are to officially go defender, and as MoMA I will work closely with the Foreign Affairs team to try and make this a reality. Second, despite this, I do believe there is still a place for us to participate in some amount of anti-fascist and anti-raider offensive operations. Though I am a defender, I also believe in hitting back at the bad guys, and there are some very creative ways we can do this. Defending isn’t a purely reactive activity, and with active raiding at a very low point right now, there’s space for us to take part in proactive defending as well. The SPSF needs to stand for something, which I think will help out with the next point.

Activity

I like to think that I am very effective at getting people to show up for things. It involves a lot of shameless Discord pinging. The same could be applied to getting people to show up for things. Especially if and when the SPSF does go full defender and we can actually say we stand for x, y, z, there’s a lot that can be done to play with people’s emotions (think: Uncle Sam Needs You! kind of stuff) and get them to join the military. Starting personal connections helps a lot as well. Expect a lot of the same consistent nagging you’ve come to know and love from your past MoMAs <3

Also, here let’s talk training and guides. We have some really good basic guides as to how to get started in the SPSF, but I’ve had it in my head since I rejoined the SPSF to write some more specific guides on various advanced techniques and things to work on in order to progress beyond the rank of Soldier. Think raid spotting, triggering, influence mechanics, etc. Might be a good way for some of our current soldiers to start working their way up the ladder and study material for ambitious trainees.

Redesigning records, adding more and more visible recognition

Everyone’s favorite thing to look at and try to improve but least-favorite thing to actually maintain. I want make records more visible and trackable by individual users, and add various incentives to motivate military members to both show up for operations and to go above and beyond the call of duty. To that end, I want to add a comprehensive military recognition system that recognizes both objective achievements as well as actions deemed by the MoMA or General Corps to be especially worthy of recognition as going above and beyond the call of duty. In addition to adding graphics, I want to ensure these individuals are publicly recognized and exemplified. I realize it might not do a ton to motivate people, but hopefully if we have some kind of easily visible and trackable system with some kind of incentives, various people interested in padding their stats might be a little more motivated to show up.

Second, records themselves. Vietnam made a “point system” a while back and while I am not sure to what extent it is used, I can envision a couple of things being done with it. First, in addition to the Trainee/Soldier/Officer/Commander ranks we have now, there could be a secondary ranking system based on the point system, and point tallies for each update or operation listed in an individual’s war record. I’m envisioning this as an adjective - something like “Honorable Soldier” or “Distinguished Officer” - to be placed before the individual’s official rank. Additionally, the monthly reports, which I will absolutely do my best to do in a timely fashion, will probably include these as well as announcements every time someone achieves a new milestone.

For records themselves, I see the records as a whole being kept in a separate area of the SPSF forum, with threads for each active nation, and an archive somewhere separately. There would be an area at the top for awards and ranks earned, and below that a list of all the updates/ops participated in and the points earned from each. Obviously all of this is just an idea at the moment, but I do anticipate some kind of records and recruitment overhaul being my main project at least in the first part of my term. It might involve some hiring of assistants to get off the ground, but sustaining it once it does actually get off the ground isn’t a problem unless it starts to pile up in my experience… Tounge

COI DECLARATION

If you have any other questions beyond this relatively large wall of random ideas, please ask below or DM me here or on Discord. I’m also gonna make a little campaign playlist which I’ll be publishing soon. Just have to put it on YouTube since my Spotify has my IRL name on it…

I hope I’ll be able to earn your vote for Minister of Military Affairs!

Much love,
W&S

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 7 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Amerion, Bzerneleg, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin, sandaoguo, USoVietnam

The incumbent Minister, Nakari — bless her wisdom — kept @Amerion on as Admiral General of the SPSF. Should you be elected, what further honours, if any, will you confer on this great patriot?
[-] The following 3 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, Ryccia, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Sir Admiral General, is indeed my wish to keep you on in your esteemed role. But in your vast wisdom, you are right: perhaps further titles should be conferred upon such a shining example of stalwart patriotism and service to our great region.

Additionally, in line with my policy agenda to expand recognition and make it more visible and trackable, it's about time we hold a grand feast in the honor of such exemplary service. A "First Supreme" in front of "Admiral General @Amerion" wouldn't be amiss either.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 5 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin, The Sakhalinsk Empire

Hello, what's this?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...90pZxHWouN

Witchcraft and Sorcery

[-] The following 2 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Poppy, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(06-05-2019, 05:19 PM)Witchcraft and Sorcery Wrote: Sir Admiral General, is indeed my wish to keep you on in your esteemed role. But in your vast wisdom, you are right: perhaps further titles should be conferred upon such a shining example of stalwart patriotism and service to our great region.

Additionally, in line with my policy agenda to expand recognition and make it more visible and trackable, it's about time we hold a grand feast in the honor of such exemplary service. A "First Supreme" in front of "Admiral General @Amerion" wouldn't be amiss either.

What delightful news! Happywide

Certainly, you are a worthy candidate for this position Tounge
[-] The following 3 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin, Ryccia

What is the superior siege engine?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kurnugia's post:
  • Poppy

(W&S, 21, Politiker, antwortet unter starker Alkoholisierung)

I mean if you really wanted to play dirty, the most effective way to cripple a city in my opinion is by loading up catapults with the corpses of those who died from the plague or whatever other horrifying infectious disease. If you throw all thoughts of war crimes out the window, there’s a reason biological weapons exist. They’re really good at utterly crippling whatever group they are targeted at.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

[-] The following 2 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Kurnugia, Poppy

(06-06-2019, 12:46 PM)Kurnugia Wrote: What is the superior siege engine?

The trebuchet, simply because it is more powerful.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 2 users Like The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Kurnugia, Poppy

(06-06-2019, 05:56 PM)Witchcraft and Sorcery Wrote: (W&S, 21, Politiker, antwortet unter starker Alkoholisierung)

I mean if you really wanted to play dirty, the most effective way to cripple a city in my opinion is by loading up catapults with the corpses of those who died from the plague or whatever other horrifying infectious disease. If you throw all thoughts of war crimes out the window, there’s a reason biological weapons exist. They’re really good at utterly crippling whatever group they are targeted at.

The average man is about 90 kg heavy, how on earth are you going to throw it over 300 meters?
[-] The following 2 users Like Kurnugia's post:
  • Poppy, Seraph

seems like that’s all you would need. And you could also use the bodies of children or someone lighter. But the cities were not nearly as big then as they are now. The Ringstraße in Vienna is only about 5 km in circumference, and that’s where the old city walls were.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

[-] The following 1 user Likes Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Poppy