We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DEBATING] Tied votes

So apparently we don't have any legislation on resolving tied votes either.
Quote:2. Electoral System

(1) Unless otherwise stated, elections held on the regional forums will be conducted via Instant Runoff Voting (IRV).
a. The form of IRV used must be Optional Preferential Voting (OPV); voters may vote for one or multiple candidates in descending order of preference.
b. Should no candidate have an absolute majority once all votes have been counted then the candidate with the least number of votes shall be eliminated from the election. Should more than one candidate have the least number of votes, the candidate with the least number of votes on the next order of preference shall be eliminated. If their numbers of votes are still equal, both shall be eliminated.
c. The votes of those voting for the eliminated candidate(s) will be reallocated based upon the expressed preferences, or discounted if no further preferences are expressed.
d. This process will continue until a candidate has an absolute majority. Should the final candidates have an equal number of votes when all have been allocated, the Elections Committee will select a method of arbitration. If the method chosen involves chance, then an unaffiliated Discord bot in a public channel will be used to generate a result randomly using a coin toss or some similar set of pre-defined outcomes.

(2) The option to Re-Open Nominations must be included as a "candidate". If elected, the election process for that office shall restart at the nomination phase.

(3) Voters will have the option to cast their vote using a secret ballot. The method of private voting will be selected by the Election Commission. The method must utilize an unaffiliated account or server, with the method and all votes remaining available for audit. Named ballots are not to be released under any circumstances.

(4) To be eligible to be included in a voting ballot, any candidate must post a campaign in an area designated by the Election Commission. The campaign must prominently include a truthful declaration of all potential conflicts of interest the candidate may have within and outside of the South Pacific.

(5) Unless otherwise stated, a tied result will be resolved through a run-off First Past The Post (FPTP) vote between the top two options of the original vote, or the same options if only two options were on the original ballot. The run-off vote will run for a duration equal to the original voting period.

Quick concept draft.

The only real options for resolving it are a run-off vote, random decision, or EC choice. The latter two are in a way giving the EC absolute control over the winner, in their own ways. Random is especially complicated since you need to trust the method the EC uses and that the random decision was done fairly (e.g. rigged random number generator, trying multiple times until the EC gets the result they want, etc). So run-off is the easiest and safest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farengeto's post:
  • Amerion

How about "In the event of a tied vote Tsunamy is elected."?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation, Omega, Penguin, Rebeltopia, Roavin, Seraph, Tsunamy

(07-21-2019, 06:27 PM)Belschaft Wrote: How about "In the event of a tied vote Tsunamy is elected."?

Or Erinor. Or both.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 5 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation, Omega, Penguin, Rebeltopia, Seraph

I think this is a good idea. Question though: what (other than statistics) stops this cycle of run-offs continuing forever (i.e. a tie in the run-offs lead to another set of run-offs, etc.)?
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)

I saw someone use the "!choose" feature on Discord. We could use this method to elect a delegate in the event of a tie, granted that the person conducting this has some form of authority.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

The proposed language may have to be amended to account for the possibility, albeit a very slim one, of cases where there are three candidates in the second round and it is a dead tie between all three of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Rebeltopia

How about, if the gameside vote is tied, the person who got highest approvals in the first round is elected?

If tied for approavl too... I don't think running the same election over and over again will help much and randomness seems the fairest way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nakari's post:
  • Rebeltopia

(07-22-2019, 10:45 AM)Nakari Wrote: How about, if the gameside vote is tied, the person who got highest approvals in the first round is elected?

I think we'd also need an idea for forum voting (like between Roavin and I about a year back...). Though, I do agree re-running the election over may not solve anything.

Im not in a great thinking state right now, so I cant think of any other options.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

(07-22-2019, 10:45 AM)Nakari Wrote: How about, if the gameside vote is tied, the person who got highest approvals in the first round is elected?

If tied for approavl too... I don't think running the same election over and over again will help much and randomness seems the fairest way.

That could work....though it does kind of take away some gameside jurisdiction and gives the forumside power over what is, in all honesty, a gameside position.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

Somewhat related question: are term-sharing agreements allowed, in which the term for a position is split between two members? It can be used in the event of a tie, and elsewhere too (though mainly the former).
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Volaworand